Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crowdfunding launched by German/Swiss AOPAs to help rescue a retired pilot from bankruptcy due to German customs decision

Be careful applying tax residency rules to non tax laws issues.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

@chflyer any income made in France must be declared in France and tax paid in France. The double taxation treaty.only applies then in Switzerland which would not tax you on the same income. However, if you reside in Switzerlanf for tax purposes, work in France for a Swiss company then the tax should be declared only in Switzerland and tax paid in Switzerland.

France

gallois wrote:

any income made in France must be declared in France and tax paid in France.

Not true in all cases. Pension income is handled differently.

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Nov 21:55
LSZK, Switzerland

…And different counries have different rules across Europe such that it is not always that simple. Oh, and healthcare & social security requirements/payments are also completely different and often contradictory…

Dont you just love a european level playing field…

@chflyer you are right about pensions I mentioned it in my previous post.
@skydriller, oh so true about healthcare & social security (CSG & CRDS in France) and also training if you run a business. Everyone pays one way or another. But I am not complaining at the moment, in my case I believe I get good value for what I pay and it is more secure than the private system.

France

lionel wrote:

One is UK resident if one spends 183 days or more in the year in the UK.

Isn’t the same rule valid in almost any other civilized country in the world?

Tangently, people who count the days they spend in any given country for the sake of not being a resident there for tax purposes usually do it to save more than VAT on a SF50 would be by…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

lionel wrote:

One is UK resident if one spends 183 days or more in the year in the UK.

If you have a UK home you are resident if you are in the UK for 91 days. This is more important than the 183 day rule for most.

Is this relevant to this case?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As previously mentioned no, since the modification occured after that specific flight.

T28
Switzerland

The rules around the whole dom / non-dom situation in the UK changed some 15-20 years or so ago. I can’t remember the details, but IIRC the essence was that HMRC got you either via a tax declaration or via a flat tax. It did change my tax situation at the time, although it did not make a material difference to the taxes paid. For some people I know, it did make a big difference, though.

Sign in to add your message