Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK participants sought for a CAS infringement study

Ibra wrote:

That may not be obvious to even pilots…

That’s why many research studies show something different from what an uninformed reader (or the media) think they show,

But in research it is well known that the exact way you formulate questions is crucial.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This bloke has popped up on a few forums and social media with his research project.

The content, focus, tone, language and general ‘look and feel’ make it fairly obvious to me that he is connected in some way or another with the CAA, NATS or some other part of the UK airspace/regulatory system.

I don’t buy the idea that a random academic suddenly wants to look into such a specific aspect of aviation for reasons entirely unconnected with the furore around CAA policy on this.

Apart from anything else it’s bound to be pretty poor research. At best he is going to get a handful of one-sided accounts of entirely separate events. The dataset will be very small and it’ll be almost impossible to quantify any aspect of it or draw any conclusions beyond the very obvious.

EGLM & EGTN

I don’t want to belittle a chap if he is actually using his pension and savings to self fund a phd. However, from what I’ve gathered it appears to have no great value whatsoever. Perhaps like the majority of humanities papers it will never be cited. It does seem that there’s more to it than he has indicated.

I’d say the data set will be miniscule because infringements are 100% MORd.

So 100% of infringers will have already made reports to NATS, then to CAA, and then waited for the “sentencing”, hoping it will be just the warning letter.

So both NATS and CAA already each have a report from the infringer.

If this chap is NATS/CAA then he will already have the basic data, and if the pilot phones him up on 07914 815857 (the number he publicly posted elsewhere) he will have to pretend he hasn’t already seen it.

This “research” sounds like a Masters. Hard to see it could be a PhD – you would have to bang away at it for years, bouncing it back and forth to the supervisor until they get tired… My GF is rather familiar with the idea; she used to supervise PhD students. The general concept of doing an aviation related grad or postgrad academic subject at a London college is a standard CAA staff activity to get promotion, especially if you spent many years in the Forces. The more feathers in your hat… There is a variety of easy options for meeting the entry qualification for these adult courses. The colleges love it too; it’s easy money.

And if somebody did a bust which didn’t get noticed then he will be keeping his mouth extremely tightly shut. Unlike me, who phoned to apologise in 2019 for one they didn’t MOR, and got busted to gasco

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message