Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic flight bags / electronic in-flight data

Peter wrote:

For example I always print off the approach plates for all destinations and alternates, and rely on PDFs only for unplanned ones. Until some years ago I even used to do long trips with a little portable printer, but now I have at least two means of displaying PDFs, one of which is my phone (Samsung S6 – state of the art ) with reading glasses. I have spent much time testing tablets for sunlight readability and don’t like any of them.

Very different workflows make for interesting debate on use of EFBs.

I never print off anything. I have all emails on my ipad and phone. two sources of plates along with the navdata which includes approaches as well. And as we have discussed before, I have never had an ipad overheat in flight. I know my cabin altitude is lower than in your aircraft and perhaps there is less sun but more UV at 41000ft than 16k.

EGTK Oxford

I won’t say any more on this because I don’t want to derail this good thread but in your jet you will get a lot more cosmic rays while I would very much hope your windows will block the (intense) UV really well. But neither of those will be heating up anything. People who get tablets shutting down are people who don’t have aircon, fly on hot days, and have big windows so the sun hits the tablet. Charging the tablet at the time also helps to reveal the problem, but how can you avoid that unless you cart all your gadgets to the hotel at every stop. I can get probably any tablet to shut down – except my Samsung T705, but that one has about 1/5 of the processor power of the Lenovo (or an Ipad) and this is very visible in the speed of rendering PDFs of VFR approach charts, some of which take up to a minute.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

ADL-120 for inflight weather

This looks interesting… Is there a lot of lag between the latest weather being published and it being available through this service?

what_next wrote:

We have Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck installed, iBooks for the company manuals, and Mail for our PPS briefings (flight logs, weather, NOTAMs, Runway Analysis). Nothing else.

No doubt you already know this but you can also access the PPS briefings through their crewbriefing iPad app. Not the most fancy piece of software but it does what it’s supposed to do.

Are you flying for a private or AOC operation?

Last Edited by ThreePoint at 22 Feb 19:38

ThreePoint wrote:

This looks interesting… Is there a lot of lag between the latest weather being published and it being available through this service?

No meaningful lag. Radar data has a a slight lag as always on downloaded radar. Up to 15 minutes.

EGTK Oxford

Dear Pilot,

I am a business student from Denmark and currently writing my master thesis about the perception and use of electronic flight bags (EFB) in Europe. I would really appreciate if you dedicate 10 minutes of your time to answer my survey.

https://www.survey-xact.dk/LinkCollector?key=C1A6E4J6S6C2

Thank you very much and always happy landings,
Julian

Germany

As a note, strongly agree is more to the centre than “agree”.. I’m afraid that’d a fairly poor design that will probably lead to bias in your studies since people who strongly agree will have a tendency to select the rightmost choice, and vice versa.

(to be clear, I"m happy to fill in (as long as it’s only multiple choice), but won’t do it before knowing if that’s a mistake on the form or not

What exactly is an Electronic Flight Bag anyway? Is SD an EFB, or Easy VFR? Is a moving map required to call it an Electronic Flight Bag?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What exactly is an Electronic Flight Bag anyway? Is SD an EFB, or Easy VFR? Is a moving map required to call it an Electronic Flight Bag?

From the survey rubric:

Most popular are providers such as SkyDemon, Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck VFR, ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot or RocketRoute.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message