Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic flight bags / electronic in-flight data

they also would also have to establish a common standard/document format … I do not see how that will ever happen

That should be EASA’s core business – so I guess you are right, it is not going to happen soon. Peter is quite right in preferring the various CAA’s setting up their own conference, but we shouldn’t hope too much for that to happen, either. After all, what do they have to gain?

eMail, are you serious? I would never register for a service that send me eMails. Why not send me a telegram? :-)

e-mail is not too bad a medium for such a purpose. At least it demands little bandwidth, and is quite secure. And e-mail does arrive, though very occasionally it may take quite a while. Nothing keeps the CAA’s from sending by e-mail to subscribers AND publishing the data on their websites.

Last Edited by at 11 Nov 12:52
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Sorry, but it simply isn’t state of the art to do stuff like that by eMail. There’s WIFI everywhere today and there’s always a possibility to download data directly into an app.

State of the art? So what? As if your Lycosaur engine was “state of the art”, haha. E-mail is safe and reliable, and 99,99% of the time quite fast, what more do you want? But I agree, it is nice to have WiFi so one can get email, yes

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

OTOH, nobody keeps EASA from setting up a consolidation database, its data only supplied by the various member national CAA’s, and accepting SQL-requests from the www through accounts of various grades; the lowest grade being free, and allowing sufficient data for an average private pilot’s flight planning requirements.

Again, it is not going to happen, soon, I am afraid.

Last Edited by at 11 Nov 13:15
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Sorry, but it simply isn’t state of the art to do stuff like that by eMail.

Do you need “state of the art” for every application?

There’s WIFI everywhere today and there’s always a possibility to download data directly into an app.

Comparing e-mail and WiFi is like comparing travel and airplanes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I don’t want to derail the thread too much but this is relevant to GA as it is today i.e. mobile internet is a must: it’s not true there is wifi everywhere.

The availability of mobile internet correlates heavily with your lifestyle, and in some cases how far you are willing/able to shaft your business to support your flying.

If you live at home, and when travelling you

• stay in self catering: usually no wifi
  • stay in €40 hotels: crap wifi in the lobby, none in the room
  • stay in €80 hotels: wifi in the lobby, crap wifi in the room
  • stay in €150 hotels: wifi everywhere, but probably slow
  • stay in €250 hotels: great wifi everywhere
  • hang out in big-name cafes: wifi slow and very slow upload

etc…

Years ago, I was debating this with two pilots who kept saying “Peter, I have perfect internet everywhere; I don’t know what you are talking about”. Eventually it turned out they were on a completely outrageous £98+VAT/month Vodafone contract! It came with 200MB of roaming data bundled and that alone was worth about £1000 in the bad old days.

My findings, on my typical travels in Europe, is that wifi is great if you just happen to find it (it is always secured, so the availability hangs on the context i.e. a hotel or a cafe where you buy something) but otherwise can be relied on to be either hopeless or just too much hassle, and 3G is the way to go.

Back to the earlier topic, sure, HTTP or whatever delivery to an app running on the client is better than email, but that means somebody has to write and support an app, and the data server, and that is yet another quantum leap in intellectual ability which you would not get any European CAA to go along with.

Almost nothing can be done at a national CAA level without a business plan showing a real return (which is precisely why the AFPEX product was never significantly enhanced with “dead easy” stuff like email delivery of ACK/REJ/CTOT messages – most of GA pays no route charges) and sending emails is dead easy and costs almost nothing in marginal costs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AIP charts are absolutely not “useless”.

Maybe that was an overstatement. Yes, I admit I can use them if you twist my arm around my back. However, the more knowledge, flexibility and thinking is required of me, the more my performance degrades I’d rather save my mental capacity for other things.

Once you have used Jeppesen charts, you do not really want a go back to IAP. It is night and day

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Nov 14:45
LFPT, LFPN

What is possible or not for the local CAA and EASA to do, I don’t know, but the Czech site sure show that things can be done in a manner way better than the average today.

The whole thing is really weird. I guess some of you have tried X-plane the simulator. It is run by one single guy, and a few helpers. In addition to being an excellent simulator, it also has a database of the entire globe, airports, frequencies, SID , STAR in addition to high resolution 3D map. One single guy, and something even remotely similar is not possible for the entire might of EASA and the local authorities?

And we trust these people to make rules… People who aren’t result oriented will never get any results. It’s as easy as that. It doesn’t matter how big or small the task is.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

One single guy, and something even remotely similar is not possible for the entire might of EASA and the local authorities?

Of course not. That one guy, Austin Meyer, is highly motivated. The people populating ANY bureaucracy only want to keep their oversized backsides warm.

The EAD is the only multinational Aeronautical Database in the world not only it contains the Pdf AIP’s but contains Static Data in XML format in accordance with AIXM and ICAO Annex 15. It holds currently data of 32000 Aerodromes…In addition a WW database e.g. of all Airways and route segments. Do commercial companies use it yes..of course

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadcms/eadsite/operations/maintenance/sdo-ecac.html
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadcms/eadsite/operations/maintenance/sdo-worldwide.html

EBST
Sign in to add your message