Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic flight bags / electronic in-flight data

So I have to live in the 1990’s just because the engine of my aircraft is based on a design from 1960? Or what do you wnat to express? Maybe I should let my hair grow (again)? Date old girlfriends?

To update a MAP database in a navigation program e-Mail is really the most old fashioned idea one could have. You could just aswell send me a telex :-)

By the way: The Cirrus has a Conti engine. Not that it makes much difference though :-)

Peter: So, if the WIFI in lousy hotels is crap getting your charts via eMail (and not via download froma server) will work better? I don’t think so.

I have a 5 GB flatrate, costs € 35/month. 50 MB abroad cost € 2.99

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Nov 17:37

Cheese us, F59, will you refuse to use a hammer because so did your grandfather? Now THERE is a tool that’s completely behind the times! Actually, even your grandfather’s grandfather may well have used one! And right they were, of course: a tool that gets the job done, and well done, is a good tool for the job. Age is irrelevant.

And, again: it is not Wifi vs. e-mail. It is on the one side Wifi against G3-G4-… , on the other side e-mail vs. www publication vs. something dedicated programmed into an application or vs. an open database connection or whatever else.

PS as for letting your hair grow to 1960’s lengths, that’s up to you – mine has become too thin for it… But I must warn against dating old girlfriends: they tend to actually get old, you know…

Last Edited by at 11 Nov 17:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

My experience:

stay in self catering: all the ones i stayed in 2013 and 2014 had wifi (but i booked the ones with wifi :-)) stay in €80 hotels: wifi in the lobby, crap wifi in the room. Good internet in all hotels I stayed at lately, even in the Czech republic stay in €250 hotels: great wifi everywhere NOT TRUE. The expensive hotels have the highest charges on WIFI but it’s not aways that fast hang out in big-name cafes: wifi slow and very slow upload: STARBUCKS (in Greece) has very fast internet
Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Nov 17:42

MiFi Rules. Works everywhere, and you get roaming for £3 per day on Vodafone.

EGKB Biggin Hill

If that MiFi is not a typo I am curious to learn what it stands for.
Regarding the 3 quid per day roaming that must be a UK-only offer, I should think.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Most providers offer some kind of roaming packages nowadays.
I have a 100MB internet roaming deal for 5EUR / week which I can activate by just sending a SMS.

Jan,

And, yes, I know that WIFI is not comparable to eMail. I bet you understood already that what I really comapred was download from a server via WIFI vs. sending data via eMail (Better now?) I thought it was quite easy to understand ..,

Of course you can also use a hammer for downloading your charts, its up to you! It might take a while, but if it was okay for your grandfather :-) I rather use a fast internet connection via WIFI

WiFi is a data link technique. E-mail is a service. You can (and certainly do), send and receive e-mail over WiFi…. So you could very well receive an update to your portable device, by e-mail, using a WiFi connection. This would of course be marginally less convenient than having your flight planning etc. program download the update itself.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes the 3 quid a day is a UK Vodafone deal – Euro Traveller.

It is very good, and nobody else (in the UK) does it, but it can be very expensive if you are abroad for say 2 weeks, because you pay the 3 quid for each day on which the phone is used at all, so you get hit with a 42 quid charge. So for longer stays it is usually cheaper to disable Euro Traveller and buy a local data SIM and perhaps put it into a 3G to WIFI modem.

But it is still a good deal for travellers – which is why Vodafone have just started blocking FTP and VOIP (both SIP and Skype) and god knows what else on it so the only way to spend the allowance freely is to run a VPN

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vodafone Germany offers 100 MB / 7 days for € 7.99 .. I use that when I travel. Of cousre i sometimes need 100 MB per day, but its stil okay, I think

Sign in to add your message