Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Received a bill from Eurocontrol, in an envelope from a hospital in Belgium????

Timothy wrote:

I have an online account with EC, and I thought that that would stop all the ridiculously expensive mailing of masses of pages of high quality, thick and heavy paper, but not a bit of it, I still get them just as before.

Yeah I just sent in the application for the online access. I fully expect to still get the paper mailed to my US address :)

EHLE, Netherlands

At least they sent you a bill…And answered the phone…

SwedAvia managed to go straight to the “threatening court action if you dont pay this” stage and of course there was no bill in that letter to say what it referred to…and no phone number either…In fact if I didnt have a Swedish speaking GF, then I wouldnt have got hold of anyone because the “for English press 1” didnt work and I was rudely cut off when I spoke English to the default person the other end…And yes, My GF did give them a piece of her mind when got her to call for me…

Eventually a nice lady eventually called me and all was resolved, but it could all have been a lot less painful.

Regards, SD..

Haha sounds frustrating.

Similar to the problem I’m having trying to pay a fuel bill from Avinor in Norway. There’s no account number on it and they guy I need to talk to seems never to be in when I call.

Actually same issue with AirBP now that I think of it. I’ve sent 2 checks to their payment address that they somehow have not received. They don’t really answer my messages except to ask me to pay them, which I already have.

Hoping neither of these situation escalates like yours!

EHLE, Netherlands

I’m surprised they send these things out via old fashioned mail still. I hope there is a sufficiently long payment term to take account for the time it takes for the letter to arrive.

I had a very frustrating experience from a governmental entity in another country that wanted to grant be online access to upload my information. The issue was that the access code they insisted on sending via mail was only valid for 2 weeks – and only on the 4th try did the letter arrive in time (a day early) as they couldn’t use a courier service.

EGTR

A lot of emails get lost by spam filters / rejected on bad SPF. At work we send invoices by post.

Just today I had somebody who managed to sign up on EuroGA without creating a nickname. I didn’t think it was possible but clearly it is. Needs to be fixed. Then he could not post. He also could not email me (admin) at my @euroga.org address because his SPF was duff and everything he sent bounced. Probably, a large % of his outgoing emails vanish.

And many peoples’ incoming email setup is crap, too. Every day we see this.

Internationally, once outside the 1st World, email gets much much worse. Spam filters often dump everything from south America, Russia, etc. Obviously no serious internationally trading outfit will run such a lousy system but… The UK CAA, corresponding with pilots worldwide, should have a proper setup but they too dump a lot of emails. I once sent about 30 emails to two people there and none of them were received. One of the two might have been dumping them but not the other.

A lot of people are on gmail and that dumps a lot of incoming emails.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A lot of emails get lost by spam filters / rejected on bad SPF. At work we send invoices by post.

Strange – I send roughly 4000 invoices per year by email ( a PDF and an XML file ) and they all arrive .

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

A lot of people are on gmail and that dumps a lot of incoming emails.

That’s funny. I had a problem the other way around. I got so much junk from gmail addresses that I blacklisted gmail and whitelist one by one the gmail addresses of people I know.

LSZK, Switzerland

I think re gmail your server was misconfigured, as someone pointed out here a while ago.

Ive used gmail since it was beta, and can never recall someone having said they’d send an email and not have received them.

At work we use gmail, receiving likely tens of thousands of emails per day, and I’ve just asked our IT guys, there has never been a report of a dodgy bounce (from us) or email we didn’t receive.

They have some flaws, but all evidence I’ve seen points at falsely rejecting emails not being one.
The evidence you’ve shown here is often old, I believe it all pre dates the fix someone pointed you should so to the header emails.

A “From” address means nothing. I could send you an email “from” [email protected] anytime Assuming the domain is real (it is; I have just checked) you have no way of knowing… Most spammers and jokers who try to sign up on EuroGA use gmail nowadays…

The only way you could tell that email was fake would be by enforcing DKIM, which certifies the sender of that email owns the domain of that email. But DKIM is not widely used. I use it for my outgoing ones, but some of them still go missing.

Noe – I agree that things change over time. Google certainly changes its rules over time. However I still believe that email is not good for sending invoices. There is much incentive to use email though because post is pretty expensive these days, especially international.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The only way you could tell that email was fake would be by enforcing DKIM, which certifies the sender of that email owns the domain of that email. But DKIM is not widely used. I use it for my outgoing ones, but some of them still go missing.

DKIM is a PITA as it breaks e-mail forwarding, which is an entirely legitimate function.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message