Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit - Licence transfer during transition period

Still doesn’t answer the question whether people think it’s worth converting a UK licence to EASA pre 31 January or not. As far as I see it:

Upsides

• UK likely to recognise EASA but no certainty on the other way around – so converting back should be easy if you need to

Downsides

• Loss of FAA piggyback
  • Uncertainty what examiners will do in UK

Or wait and see how things develop during the transition period, IF indeed the UK is still in EASA during that time (which nobody seems to know whether it is or not)

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

@Charlie

Still doesn’t answer the question whether people think it’s worth converting a UK licence to EASA pre 31 January or not.

I see the deadline at Dec 31st 2020 as well. But I would factor in the time the authorities need to get the conversion done. When I remember correctly it took four months when I did it, so with a little buffer I would start the conversion in June 2020 to assure having the new license by the end of the year. Maybe, when you start in Dec 2020, you could face the risk of not having an EASA-license or rather being limited to G-reg until the paperwork is done.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland
any FAA piggyback licence would be rendered invalid because your licence number would change.
However if the UK PPL licence also had the same number perhaps that would still make it valid. Does the UK PPL licence number match that of an EASA one?
No. Your FAA piggyback will be gone (I asked the FAA and they were pretty straight on this).

I’m in the wait and see camp.

The FAA has shown that it is willing to interpret the FARs quite creatively in pursuit of its mission to provide the “…most efficient aerospace system in the world”.

If the UK is booted out of EASA as a result of our PM’s refusal to accept regulatory subservience, we may edge closer to our American allies. In the particular circumstances of a closer transatlantic relationship, I wouldn’t exclude the possibility that a more pragmatic interpretation of the FARs may emerge.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

As regards Brussels saying nothing, that is their game: maximum hardball. It brings delight to many In the meantime the UK gives us some continuity for 2 years, etc.

The EU is pretty much behaving like my ex-wife when we got divorced – the expression “cut off her nose to spite her face” comes to mind.
I also dont really get this as it builds animosity for no benefit.

Hence I couldnt see a reason to not switch EASA states once I had made sure that I had my ICAO UK-PPL in hand.

Regards, SD..

" I am debating whether I need to re-validate my UK PPL – I will need a UK examiner signature before 31st Jan… (anyone know one in Aberdeen?)"

In case that wasn’t a rehtorical question, the CAA website has a list of AMEs, several are in/near Aberdeen. FAA medicals are also available. One is also an Examiner – at Mintlaw.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 21 Dec 19:59
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The question is – how do you get an ICAO UK PPL?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

DavidC wrote:

Does the UK PPL licence number match that of an EASA one?

No. I switched from UK to AustroControl earlier in the year (for precisely the reasons we have this thread for) and it’s a totally different number.

how do you get an ICAO UK PPL?

You apply to the CAA for it. You need a valid Class 2 medical at the time of the application. Afterwards you can fly with the medical self declaration (more commonly done with the NPPL).

I think the main CAA page is here.

Then you go here and that then takes you to a weird online-only process and it should be there somewhere. But I could be wrong… Another old thread is here and @Tumbleweed may know where the application form now sits. CAA URLs go dead regularly which is why I usually save them to local storage.

Various past threads – example.

This is a good point – quite a timeless option. If you get the UK national PPL (not the NPPL ) then you can use that to fly any EASA-reg plane by getting a local validation. Post-brexit it will be just like getting say an FAA PPL validated locally. Various countries in Europe offer various validation routes for ICAO PPLs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter

Useful of you to refer to the old threads as a reminder to all as to how we arrived at this point. To set expectation and for the avoidance of doubt these non EASA U.K. national licences, plus the NPPL are not accepted for flying to other countries unless the written permission is obtained from that countries authority. If you wished to use your national UK licence in another European member state, you will need to request approval in writing from that authority.
This is an important point, that may, in the mix of many posts, pass some people. Not all are as attentive as yourself.

Specific and irrespective of flying either an EASA or non EASA (I.e Annexe ii, renamed Annexe 1)

Citation. Refer sub heading; Using your U.K. national licence abroad.
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Convert/Converting-to-an-EASA-licence-from-a-UK-national-or-JAR-licence/

Do you agree?

United Kingdom

The UK national PPL (not the same as the NPPL) is an ICAO PPL and valid in a G reg worldwide, VFR and if you have an IR then IFR also.

The NPPL is acceptable only to France AFAIK and only with a EASA class 2 medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message