Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit - Licence transfer during transition period

mancival wrote:

1) move the plane into the G-reg: does anybody know if I will then need to convert my UK-issued EASA ppl into a UK PPL (non-EASA) ?

I don’t think so. You now have a UK “Part-FCL” license; until (if) the UK changes its legislation, you just revalidate like you did before.

mancival wrote:

2) convert my license into an EU-issued EASA one: does anybody know how complex this will be since I didn’t start the process before 31december (which, I understand, would have been a “simplified” process)?

Well, yeah, before it would have been a “simple” (as in “purely administrative”) transfer as an intra-EASA “change state of license of issue” (SOLI). I believe you now have to convert using the same process as if you would have a USA/Canada/Australian licence… School websites suggest:

• theoretical test on air-law, human performance and maybe radiotelephony
  • pass an approved English language test
  • EASA medical certificate
  • flight training as the DTO/ATO evaluates necessary (may be as little as only a mock exam with the ATO showing you are ready for the test?)
  • Pass a proficiency test for the PPL (A) license.
Last Edited by lionel at 11 Jan 20:42
ELLX

Although it could be in breach of European regulations, may also fly an F-reg in a non-commercial operation in UK airspace using a UK non–Part-FCL PPL. Art 148(3)(b) of the ANO, as amended by 2019 No. 645, sch 1 (emphasis added):

Requirement for appropriate licence to act as member of flight crew of
aircraft registered elsewhere than in the United Kingdom
148.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), this article applies to any
aircraft registered in a country other than the United Kingdom.

(2) [deleted]

(3) A person must not act as a member of the flight crew which must by
or under this Order be carried in an aircraft to which this article
applies unless—

(a) in the case of an aircraft flying for the purpose of commercial
air transport, public transport or commercial operation, that person
is the holder of an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid
under the law of the country in which the aircraft is registered or
the State of the operator; or

(b) in the case of an aircraft on a non-commercial flight and where
the operator of the aircraft is neither resident nor established in
the United Kingdom, that person is the holder of an appropriate
licence granted or rendered valid under the law of the country in
which the aircraft is registered or under this Order and the CAA does
not give a direction to the contrary; or

(c) in the case of an aircraft on a non-commercial flight, where the
operator of the aircraft is resident or established in the United
Kingdom, that person is the holder of the appropriate licence granted
or rendered valid under the Aircrew Regulation.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 11 Jan 18:12
London, United Kingdom

Im a brit that got a JAR-PPL in the UK, but now live in France and fly mainly French registered aeroplanes: My view on this a couple of years ago was “get a UK-PPL on the basis of your UK EASA PPL then SOLI the EASA PPL to another state, so you will have both UK & EASA PPLs and will be covered for all eventualities”. That is what I did. Then last year in April the UK-PPL only became valid to fly UK Annex 1 aeroplanes, so ironically I can fly any G-Reg aeroplane with my French EASA PPL but not with my actual UK-PPL…To me this is completely nuts…What will happen in the next year or two? Who knows..??

Regards, SD..

I wonder how many people are in my situation: I have an UK-issued EASA ppl and my plane is Italian registered, mostly based in Italy. I understand that, as of 1st Jan, I‘m illegal to fly my plane.
I think I have 2 options:
1) move the plane into the G-reg: does anybody know if I will then need to convert my UK-issued EASA ppl into a UK PPL (non-EASA) ? I understand other EU-issued EASA licenses have two years grace period to keep flying G-reg planes.
2) convert my license into an EU-issued EASA one: does anybody know how complex this will be since I didn’t start the process before 31december (which, I understand, would have been a “simplified” process)? Any EU Country that is supposedly “easier” on this delayed process?
Thanks

United Kingdom

Thanks Maoraigh, Charlie you have a message!!

I’ve sent a message to Skydriller.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The UK PPL is ICAO Annex 1-compliant whereas the UK NPPL isn’t. Contracting states are required to recognise compliant licences issued by other states when held by foreign nationals and used for civil aircraft in international navigation. Articles 32 and 33 in the Chicago Convention. The UK NPPL may be used outside UK with permission from the relevant states. UK ANO 2016, sch 8 part 1 ch 3. It may also be used for a US-registered aircraft within UK. See interpretation given 15 Jun 2015 to Cliff Whittaker (UK CAA SRG) by Lorelei Peter, Deputy Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations.

The licence validity period itself has nothing to do with what privileges may be conferred by attached ratings or certificates. Other than a night rating only microlight aeroplane, SLMG, and SSEA ratings may be included in a UK NPPL(A) while an IR or IMCR and various instructor ratings may be included in a UK PPL. Going up one class, the UK CPL has embedded IMCR privileges. Until 8 Apr 2020 or earlier a UK-registered aeroplane or TMG may be flown in UK using a UK NPPL/PPL/CPL/ATPL at the Part-FCL LAPL(A or S) privilege level. See UK derogation described in ORS4 No 1309 of 12 Jul 2019 (pdf link | local copy). An overview of medical requirements is given by LAA (link).

UK Part-FCL licence holders wishing to change the state of licence issue could first apply to UK CAA for a UK licence pursuant to article 152 of the ANO however the licence would be valid only as shown in the diagrams mentioned in my last post. Note that your US-registered aircraft is a non-EASA (non–Part-21 on exit day) aircraft and as such you may operate it in a non-commercial operation in UK using a UK NPPL/PPL/CPL/ATPL—all non-Aircrew Regulation licences—in accordance with para (3)(b) of article 148 in the UK ANO until exit day whether or not you are a UK resident. On and after exit day you may do so only if you cease to be a UK (permanent) resident. However, as a UK (permanent) resident you may also use your US airman certificate on a UK-registered EASA (Part-21 on exit day) aircraft flying in a non-commercial operation in UK subject to UK general exemption E 4863 published as ORS4 No. 1301 of 29 Mar 2019 (pdf link).

A US restricted private pilot certificate may be issued on the basis of a UK PPL/CPL/ATPL (but not a UK NPPL) pursuant to 14 CFR 61.75(b)(2). That US certificate will in turn be valid until exit day, pursuant to para (3)(b) of art 148 in the ANO, when flying a US-registered aircraft in UK in a non-commercial operation.

London, United Kingdom

Gosh… why have so many people been told to apply for the UK PPL? It’s been widely sold as a “lifetime license” i.e. much better than the EASA PPL.

So let me get this right. What is then the difference between the UK PPL and the NPPL? It sounds like both are good for G-reg only and UK only, but the former can be used worldwide but only in an Annex 1 plane.

So both are pretty useless to most people, but the owner of say an RV is better off with the former one because he can fly all over Europe, whereas the NPPL is good only for UK and France.

In the context of the optimal strategy for licensing during the transition period, this seems pointless unless you are flying an Annex 1, in which case get yourself the UK PPL (non EASA) and then that is usable immediately Europe-wide, and is “convertible”

• to other EASA licenses, via various local processes
  • to flying an N-reg via 61.75

and neither the European CAA nor the FAA (respectively) is going to realise that these are limited to Annex 1.

Have | got that right?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

17 Sep 2012.

London, United Kingdom

When did that change?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message