Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bring my N-reg TR182 to France or not?

Silvaire’s ULM comment above is very interesting. There is that new “classe 6” ultralight helicopter category in France; if what you enjoy is simply going up in the air with minimal hassle (and supervision), maybe you could sell the RG and get a Dynali H3 or similar. Amusingly it is easier/simpler to do that in France than it is in the US.

Hi John,

If you manage your maintenance in the US, managing it in Cannes won’t be more hassle. You will find an IA, but you will have to be proactive because it is not a common type here. Then you will have a very capable airplane and enjoy visiting Europe.
If you don’t and let a shop do everything for you, don’t expect to find a good shop here. In that case, I would sell in the US and rent here. Or cross the atlantic just for the fun, and sell it here. This type would find buyers easily I guess.
Please note I don’t know anything about VAT import stuff.

If you want to own a plane here for little hassle, yes I would recommend experimentals or ULs, but you would have to be on top of your maintenance (especially exps).

UL helis have a huge crash rate, I would not recommend it to anyone

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 05 Jan 10:01
LFOU, France

If I may the market for a TR-182 is much better Stateside. The French aeroclubs are great institutions, not sure where the closest grass roots aeroclub is to Cannes, but you may want to just experience being a flying member?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Fayance is a small grass gliding club which would be ample for a 182. Probably a 30 minute drive from LFMD. Blister hangars available but I don’t know the cost. No maintenance facility there either.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

I would agree with many/most of the comments above, but definitely fall in the “just do it” category as far as a recommendation. “Insane” definitely does not apply. “I really don’t know” perhaps if you lose your cool when your car’s alternator gives up the ghost or you have a flat tire.

I purchased an N-reg C172 based in Singapore 24 years ago (already on a Trust which I kept) and had it shipped via container to Europe. I’ve never regretted it and would do it again in an instant.

- the Trust and insurance are non-issues.
- line up and keep a good tight relationship with an A&P/IA (individual or company) … that is, be a proactive and positive-control owner. The A&P does the work, the owner/operator makes the decisions. This is a major advantage of N-reg.
- AOG with no FAA mechanic is really not all that much different than AOG in the boonies in the US. What would you do at many of these?
- hangar space is likely the biggest challenge. My a/c spent 3 years outside on the grass before I got space in a hangar, and it suffered. If you’re in Cannes, make sure you have it corrosion-proofed with ACF-50 of CorrosionX before you leave the US, regardless (it can be done here, but would likely cost more).
- France is big enough to provide a large amount of stress-free travel and get a lot of fun usage out of a 182 without ever leaving the country. Many many little, fun, uncomplicated airfields/destinations suitable for a 182. Lot’s of uncontrolled fields with IAPs and good opening hours availability. Get a couple folding bikes if you want to avoid taxis, not really different from the US in that respect. Beyond France, if you limit your flying to Schengen & Customs Union countries, the border hassles are kept to a minimum. Airspace differences and complications (read: military zones) are the biggest extra workload, and IFR tends to eliminate most of that hassle. Avgas availability is fine in France with Air Total and AirBP cards, but needs a bit more attention elsewhere, the degree depending on the country.

Generally speaking, flying is more expensive here than in the US but that’s true owning or renting. Keep in mind that Europe is not one country like the US, but >28, with all that implies. Think of flying to the Caribbean, Canada (x28), or central America from the US.

LSZK, Switzerland

John,

having read this thread, I’d think there are two different things you need to get clear about.

a) do you want to fly in Europe at all or give up flying totally.

coming from the US, Europe is a different world when it comes to aviation, even though France is maybe the closest thing to US flying within Europe. Within France and if you have French radio permit and language proficiency, you have loads of airfields which are close to the freedom in the US. Also being based south of the Alps you will find those destinations where most of us want to go to. France itself is nice, Spain has some great little airports and Slovenia and Croatia are within reach without crossing the Alps.
Hassle in Europe is something discussed in this forum a lot, because those who post here fly a lot more and larger distances than most people. Most recreational pilots hardly ever run into problems such as customs, because they don’t fly that far. Obviously there is a lot of bureaucratic red tape and other hassle such as customs and immigration. If you fly primarily within the Schengen Area and the EU, the latter is not an issue at all however, only flights to the UK, Switzerland and outside Schengen necessitates strict adherence to customs and immigration laws if you don’t want to have rude awakenings. If you are flying IFR, you would need to get acquainted with the CFMU slot system. If you are a proficient pilot, you will fast learn how to deal with these things. Heck, you can even use Foreflight in Europe now.

Being based in Cannes, you are around some of the most beautiful places in Europe to fly. Also weather wise, you are much better of than people in Germany or the UK or worst of all Switzerland. If I were based south of the Alps, I’d do 99% of my flying there rather then venture into central and northern Europe.

b) to bring your plane or not.

A TR182 is a perfect plane for European travel as much as stateside travel. If you own a good plane and have invested heavily, I would strongly recommend to hang onto it and bring it over here. In this case, you know what you have and you won’t have to experiment around with buying another plane. Maintenance in places like Cannes won’t be a problem. Most maintenance shops in Europe but particularly in France are familiar with N-Reg planes. Apart, flying it to Europe can be a trip of a lifetime.

If I were in your situation I would definitly bring the plane over and fly it here.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

…Apart, flying it to Europe can be a trip of a lifetime.
If I were in your situation I would definitly bring the plane over and fly it here.

+1

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Since you asked. When in Rome …

Sell it in the US while you can, and use the money to get a nice little modern thing in France.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Within France and if you have French radio permit and language proficiency, you have loads of airfields which are close to the freedom in the US.

It is absolutely NOT TRUE that you need a French language endorsement/permit to fly to most aerodromes in France. You WILL need to understand and learn specific french phases for arrival/departure from an airfield in France for the safety of yourself and others, but its not difficult, I can Email you a crib sheet you can learn. And if you fly weekdays into these small airfields the chances are you will be the only person there anyway…

I note your OP says “return to France”, so if you speak French then you dont need to worry and I say the above so that others reading do not get put off landing at small no-ATC aerodromes in France.

Regards, SD..

Lots of previous threads on French ELP etc. e.g. here here.

We have some crib sheets here but I would never fly into an FR-only airfield with one of these because if somebody called me back I would not understand any of it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message