Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need help with Noise level information.

Raiz wrote:

I guess a C210 is pre 1988, so they want you to be 4 dB less than the chapter VI level.

While according to ICAO chapters 6 and 10 refer to different design years, concretely what matters is what is written on your noise certificate. E.g. if you had a noise muffler, or STCed propeller, or …, installed, and that was tested according to chapter 10 (even on a pre-1988 plane), then chapter 10 values is what you have on your noise certificate, and the corresponding values are the ones you have to respect to be “increased noise protection” under the German rules.

@C210_Flyer, if you have an doubt on what your noise certificate is based on, show it to us.

Volume 1 of ICAO Annex 16 is available publicly there: http://cockpitdata.com/Software/ICAO%20Annex%2016%20Volume%201 IMHO reading it will not be useful concretely for this discussion.

Last Edited by lionel at 15 Jan 09:22
ELLX

C210_Flyer wrote:

Ok so would that mean a 76 db? Am I interpreting it correctly?

Yes, that’s my interpretation too.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Raiz wrote:

C210_Flyer wrote:

Ok so would that mean a 76 db? Am I interpreting it correctly?
Yes, that’s my interpretation too.

Also going to call Hartzell cause I have an STC to use that prop instead of the McCauley which is supposed to be quieter.
Thanks everyone for all your input. I really need to go to the plane and get my certificate and look at what is written down.

KHTO, LHTL

Don’t you just make your own cert for N-reg?
See for example this post from @tomjnx
For EASA guidelines see here and more specifically for a C210 here (this link is subject to change, if it has, go to the first link).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Yes you do. I try to follow the rules but understanding it when you have STCs that are not in the book makes it difficult. My Top RPM is lower than standard 210s (for my plane) by 150 rpms. Which makes the tips quieter plus the design of the prop helps with the noise. So if I cross reference a 210 with similar top RPM to mine I get 77.4 but with a McCauley and not a Hartzell. Missing that magic 76 db by 1.4 db.

KHTO, LHTL

I think categories are engine+propeller combinations not the RPM you fly?
Also, RPM is wtr to engine max rated (not the propeller)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That EASA table has 52 rows for Cessna T210 planes with Hartzell propellers, being combinations of:

• Cessna T210 F, G, H, J, K, K, M or N
  • Engine TSIO-520-C, M, H or R
  • with or without Gomolzig muffler model 74-0801
  • Hub and propeller PHC-J3YF-1RF/F7691, PHC-J3YF-1RF/F7663-2Q
    The document clearly says wichih Chapter the value is tested against (column AG), plus anyway Chapter 6 values are “overflight” values (column AI) and Chapter 10 values are “Takeoff” values (column AL) so it is easy to see what is what.

So you need to know exactly what you have, and look up the correct line. FYI the chapter 6 values vary between 69.6 dBA and 79.7 dBA; the chapter 10 values between 81.5 dBA and 83.1 dBA. Most lines do not qualify for the German “increased sound protection”.

ELLX
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message