Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FliteStar to be discontinued

I just received this from Jepp.

Effective December 31, 2020, Jeppesen will discontinue our FliteStar product. As a current FliteStar customer, you will continue to be able to use the solution for all your flight planning needs until your subscription expires or until the end of the year, whichever comes first. If your subscription expires prior to December 31, you will not be able to renew your subscription.

Transition to ForeFlight
We are encouraging all FliteStar customers to adopt ForeFlight as their new flight planning solution. ForeFlight offers an innovative and integrated platform that matches or exceeds FliteStar capabilities, with features including flight plan syncing between mobile and web, interactive weather and much more

I still actively use FliteStar for International autorouting since there is no (or at least I am unaware of ) desktop based small scale IFR flight planner out there.
Does Foreflight have worldwide autorouting?

Cheers – E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Jeppesen stopped updating the software about 5 years (so de facto discontinued it back then) ago but it remained database compatible with Jeppview etc.

What would be interesting is if they dropped the whole PC product line (currently Jeppview 4 I think) and moved totally to the Ipad. That would be stupid because the user interface on tablet products is massively dumbed down and is crap for serious work.

This would be the case if they get everybody to move to Foreflight, which doesn’t exist on a PC… except for the somewhat crippled browser app.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As far as I understand, ForeFlight covers only North America and Europe. They say “please don’t try to use ForeFlight to file intercontinental flight plans”.

Maybe @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight will contradict me.

Last Edited by lionel at 21 Jan 18:27
ELLX

FliteStar was supposed to have been sunset in 2012 when I worked there, but couldn’t let it go…

The Jepp sales rep at Aero EDNY told me the same thing, even using the same “sunset” phrase, in 2019

The Q is: what exactly does this mean? Are they merging the various Jepp platforms (PC and IOS) into Foreflight (IOS only, with a cut-down browser app) and thus dropping any means of conveniently printing off a PDF (or paper copies) of terminal charts?

Administrator

The original plan was for FliteStar to be replaced with FlitePlan Online, not sure how well this picked up, but they have since gone on to purchase ForeFlight, so with that, I`m guessing they are reviewing all of the flight planning options they provide to streamline them.

I’ve never heard of FlitePlan Online.

Jepp also for many years did, and I believe still do, a high end PC corporate-user product called something like Executive Planner. That, and Flitestar and Jeppview all share the same database, which is normally downloaded but there is still a DVD option.

There has always been a lot of resistance in the corporate jet world to go online-database because if a crew is stuck somewhere in the 3rd World they may not have the connectivity to download a gig of data. Actually the Italian apartment I am sitting in right now would take all night to transfer that…

Administrator

We’ve been here before, as usual

Just come across this thread from 6 years ago.

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message