Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Security on AirB&B (and other sites)

I just ran into something that really disturbed me. Ive used AirB&B in the past, so I have an account. Last used according to them 2018.

Used my password to log on. Then gave them my Credit Card and the last 4 numbers of my Social Security. That was not enough. They wanted further verification. So I had to send them a picture of my ID, either passport or Drivers license front and back, I did that. Then it asked for a photo image but not through my computer but in some other way at which I said, enough was enough, I would rather pay 100 Euros a night for a hotel than this level of intrusion. By the way, after each step I thought it would be completed but NOoooo after clicking continue some other request pops up.

Now I can certainly understand protecting the host. but after having an account and nothing but praise from prior hosts. I cant and wont allow that level of information to be past along the internet. Once you’ve had ID theft it is horrible to try and resolve. My girlfriend had that happen to her and it took years to resolve in the meantime nothing but aggravation and bill collectors because someone stole her Identity.

So looks like no Air B&B for me.

By the way I was setting up an overnight for the Aero.

KHTO, LHTL

I haven’t used Air B&B that much but when I did, I never had to give any details like this. I would have stopped much earlier than you. There are a few points to note: in Europe we don’t have social security numbers and asking for one for a German host seems very suspicious to me. That would have stopped me immediately. Also in Europe credit card and identity theft seem to be much less, probably to a great extent because of higher security features on cards and the much less things you can do with a bare number (social security).

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Have you checked the security certificate? It should point to AirB&B and not something shady.

C210_Flyer, that does sound rather weird.

AirBnB usually asks for a photo ID to make you a registered customer, which means you have to possibility to book direct, that is without confirmation from the host. The credit card thing is for payment obviously. Never heard of social security number or anything else. I wonder whether this thing was hacked.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Have you checked the security certificate?

That was my thought also but AirB&B probably does ask for passport scans etc etc. And probably booking.com does too. Everything in the world is getting tighter. Google suggests this is normal for airb&b although the driving license is an alternative.

I can’t confirm it personally since I have used these a lot for at least 5 years and would have done this ages ago.

I am very sure that most airb&b hosts are evading tax and it is very likely that regulations are slowly tightening up around the whole thing. Airb&b facilitates (actually I would say it is central to their business model) tax evasion by not showing the location of the apartment – just a very general circle – and most hosts play funny games like meeting you up on a street corner to give you the keys and you follow them to the “top secret” address

However, the hosts like the extra customer security because it gives them some assurance the place won’t be trashed. Several have told me they want to do the initial booking via airb&b and then once they know you are ok they are happy to talk directly.

I think sending up passport scans is a seriously bad idea because it is – or used to be – possible to empty a bank account with one. One EuroGA poster lost bigger part of 10k with just a passport scan, IIRC. Unfortunately you cannot get around it, and countless little hotels around the more dodgy parts of Europe have already photographed my passport… The alternative driving license isn’t much better because my bank has been hit by a guy with a fake driving license (of mine).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

in Europe we don’t have social security numbers and asking for one for a German host seems very suspicious to me. That would have stopped me immediately.

The EU doesn’t have any such numbers, but (some) individual countries do.

Also in Europe credit card and identity theft seem to be much less, probably to a great extent because of higher security features on cards and the much less things you can do with a bare number (social security).

Particularly the last thing you mention. Every Swedish citizen and resident has such a number and simply knowing the number would never ever be taken as identification. Indeed, the numbers are public information!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

All this is unlikely to come from a concern for host protection, and much more likely to be linked to Anti-Money-Laundering and Know-Your-Customer obligations

EGTF, LFTF

Peter wrote:

And probably booking.com does too.

Not to my knowledge. Never had to scan my ID or anything for Booking.

I did scan my ID for AirBnB and as my wife is a host now we see the difference if someone has done it or not. If they have a credit card(which you need anyway to pay for the booking) plus a Picture ID this is indicated in the renters profile (you do not see them however) and they can book straight away. The others who do not, you get a request and have to confirm or deny it. So far we have had no problems with either guests. Also AirBnB do pay very promptly one day after check in and also if someone cancels too late, the part of the money we ask is always paid promptly.

Peter wrote:

I am very sure that most airb&b hosts are evading tax and it is very likely that regulations are slowly tightening up around the whole thing.

Actually, the opposite is true at least here. It used to be difficult as heck to get a legal BnB going. Since last year however, all that is required is a registry link with the police, where you have to register your guests. As for taxes, they would be stupid to do that as all you have to tax is net profit which usually is rather small. However, tax offices are VERY interested and are combing AirBnB and other such sites quite regularly. So it is a pretty good idea taxing it and also paying social security if necessary.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

No it doesn’t – they have my CC details on file and that is it

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

Nope, I use them all the time.

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message