Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

As of today, according to one report, UK AMEs who use NHS premises are finished. That’s quite a few AMEs.

You also cannot use the NHS for blood tests; they shut down all non-critical blood tests 2 days ago, cancelling all appointments already booked. Someone I know just paid £350 for some blood tests, but hey you have to do what you have to do…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They could ban non solo flights

Now they did the exact opposite. The notam has been amended and they left training flights out.

EBST, Belgium

Jujupilote wrote:

The french federation declared in the same email to all clubs that they started discussing with the CAA how ratings, medicals and ARCs could be extended.
Extending the ARC could be a bad idea, with engines sitting still for weeks. Someone should send a procedure to every club with ground run or preservation procedures.

Reading between the lines of the official reports, lock down could last between one and 2 month.

This is obviously good news, I agree with you as an aircraft owner I am probably going to go up there to run the engine, though the town (who own the airport even though the club runs it) have now advised all activity is not allowed other than maintenance. Assume Juju you have to fill out the same forms we do here to even be allowed out of the house (though I still go for my run here in the mountains before anyone gets up)…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

UK DfT issued this yesterday:

There are no plans to ban VFR flights. There may be some pressures on controlled airspace further down the line (e.g. if air traffic controllers are unable to go into work), but the current message from NATS and others is that demand is reducing faster than the ability to service that demand. (Obviously this pressure would not impact on uncontrolled airspace)".

Administrator

I am due to do my Biennial Flight Reviews (FAA and CAA) in the UK in the next couple of weeks, along with IR revalidation.

Does anyone know if the CAA is going to allow ratings and licenses to be exempted from the need for BFRs etc, so that I don’t have to expose myself to an instructor/examiner in the cockpit for an hour or two.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Innsbruck LOWI airport has closed today.

Yes LFHN. I start to think that airpark based pilots have it good !! They can fly without entering a public road and so with no need of the silly paper.

LFOU, France

I am due to do my Biennial Flight Reviews (FAA and CAA) in the UK in the next couple of weeks, along with IR revalidation.
Does anyone know if the CAA is going to allow ratings and licenses to be exempted from the need for BFRs etc, so that I don’t have to expose myself to an instructor/examiner in the cockpit for an hour or two.

The BFR is FAA so unless the FAA offers a concession, you have to do the BFR if you need it legally.

The UK CAA has AFAIK not said anything yet. I won’t be surprised if they offer a concession of some sort.

I would speculate that medicals will be a bigger problem; see posts above. A lot of UK AMEs work from NHS hospitals and they will either have to stop or find a different facility. And this epidemic is nowhere near getting going yet.

Administrator

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

This is obviously good news, I agree with you as an aircraft owner I am probably going to go up there to run the engine, though the town (who own the airport even though the club runs it) have now advised all activity is not allowed other than maintenance.

Have they actually closed the airfield? I thought that the initial advice from the FFA to fly solo, disinfect/wipe surfaces in Aeroclub aircraft was sensible. This got overtaken by the “only essential travel”/piece of paper thing, though there is no actual decree/NOTAM preventing private flying in France just yet. I have wondered about how to justify going to the airfield myself, as I dont like extended periods without flying purely to keep skills current and I feel that ground running is insufficient for engine health.

Regards, SD..

A friend bizjet pilot is currently stuck in Africa with his clients but, hey, that’s Africa…

I wonder how many countries in Europe have actually closed airports even for refuelling.

Just got this from IAOPA:

Administrator
Sign in to add your message