Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I’m not sure where you get this info Peter.

I’m a UK AME and use an outpatient clinic space out of hours – and haven’t been ‘finished’ yet.

(At what point it becomes sensible to defer Medicals is a perfectly valid question though. I suspect we’ll reach that tipping point soon- hence the EASA moves referenced above)

Bloods haven’t been reduced to ‘critical’ only.
(Those required for a medical are ‘finger prick’ blood tests done at the medical with no knock on for lab capacity anyway).
Sure a Covid-19 test isn’t easy to get (sadly!) but all other biochem / haem and other assays run on.

In these times there’s a risk of hearsay and disinformation, especially on fora, running out of control. Sticking to what’s known is probably good :)

EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Justin wrote:

I’m a UK AME and use an outpatient clinic space out of hours – and haven’t been ‘finished’ yet.

It probably varies from one place to another, no?

EGLM & EGTN

I posted reports from other pilots (whose AMEs cancelled, leaving them looking around for another AME) and my own experience. My local health centre has cancelled all routine blood tests (e.g. PSA and thyroid (!!) monitoring). I am not going to make stuff up Plenty of that already on social media, as you say…

Good to see a post from an AME, @Justin We’ve had so many threads where AME input would have been really great.

Not all blood tests required for medicals are finger prick only. It depends on the patient’s history. Let’s say somebody is taking thyroxine. A lot of the population have a depleted thyroid, and as you probably know this drives your cholesterol way up, so needs to be monitored – as well as the TSH/T4 relationship being rather sensitive and needing regular monitoring. They can’t fly if the TSH/T4 go outside NHS limits. So there’s an example of where a “Those required for a medical are ‘finger prick’ blood tests” is not the whole story. You can finger prick test that one but some people cannot get enough blood via that route to fill up the Medichecks etc private testing bottles. Well, you probably can if you are on warfarin, but then that’s another regular blood test too.

I am not sure why AMEs should cancel medicals anyway. They can wear suitable PPE very easily. Even chucking the whole lot away after each medical would not inflate the cost of a medical much.

From here

Alderney, Guernsey and Jersey have now announced they require all visitors to self isolate for 14 days on arrival.

That was on the cards early this week. I managed to get a trip to Alderney on Tuesday.

This is a bit more drastic, but not in Europe

although I wonder if (as I wrote above) any airports will actually close?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ Peter,
may be you noticed already, but there is a problem with the database of this blog. When you go through pages 7, 8, 9, …you see pages up to 15. Then when you click “next” on page 11 the total page count goes down to 9 all of a sudden.

AJ
Germany

Strange post numbering is ok. It happens when posts get moved from one thread to another, which happens when people post in the wrong thread, when I merge threads on the same topic, etc.

The merging preserves choronological order, which is exactly what is required, but there is the question of what to do with post numbers. One method would be to renumber all the posts in the new thread, but that breaks other things. So the solution we went for was to number any moved posts with their unique database post number. This is nowadays a large number since we are over 240000 posts.

Administrator

The Ecuador story is probability 90% a hoax. The screenshot you posted is from a helicopter. Many news outlets are claiming it was an Airbus.

https://twitter.com/chrisclarkefly/status/1240391120099704834

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

The Ecuador story is probability 90% a hoax. The screenshot you posted is from a helicopter. Many news outlets are claiming it was an Airbus.

I guess that is a police helicopter not the empty passengers A320?

I have read briefly in the news that municipality mayor was tested positive recently, that would explains why she was acting differently than the government guidelines for that airport, the empty aircraft did divert to the Capital…

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 12:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes there was an empty aircraft that diverted. But they never got a clearance to land only to meet the police on the runway and go around, as some news outlets were reporting, I see they changed their wording now, one of them was Express.

ESME, ESMS

Guernsey EGJB and Alderney EGJA notam:

Q) LFRR/QFAXX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/4926N00236W005
B) FROM: 20/03/19 13:00C) TO: 20/05/01 00:01
E) BAILIWICK OF GUERNSEY COVID-19 PROCEDURES UFN EXERCISING HER
POWERS UNDER THE EMERGENCY POWERS RE CORONAVIRUS, BAILIWICK OF
GUERNSEY REGULATIONS 2020, THE MEDICAL OFFICER OF HEALTH HAS IMPOSED
A REQUIREMENT ON ALL PERSONS ARRIVING IN THE BAILIWICK FROM ANYWHERE
IN THE WORLD TO SELF-ISOLATE FOR 14 DAYS ON ARRIVAL.
THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT, AND FAILURE TO COMPLY IS A CRIMINAL
OFFENCE. CREW AND PASSENGERS ARE TO BE REMINDED THAT ALL
NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL TO THE BAILIWICK OF GUERNSEY, BEING GUERNSEY
AND ALDERNEY HAS CEASED. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SELF-ISOLATE FOR 14
DAYS AND PROVIDE YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT DETAILS ON ARRIVAL.
ON ARRIVAL YOU WILL BE PROVIDED WITH A FORM TO COMPLETE. YOU MUST
COMPLETE ALL DETAILS REQUIRED ON THIS FORM.
ON ARRIVAL YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAND YOUR FORM AND IDENTIFICATION
DOCUMENTS TO THE GUERNSEY BORDER AGENCY WHEN REQUESTED. YOU WILL ALSO
BE PROVIDED WITH INFORMATION ABOUT SELF-ISOLATION BY THE GUERNSEY
BORDER AGENCY OFFICERS. PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. YOU MUST GO
STRAIGHT HOME FROM THE AIRPORT AND NOT LEAVE YOUR ACCOMMODATION FOR
14 DAYS. PLEASE NOTE THAT COMPLETION OF THR FORM CORRECTLY,
PRESENTATION AND SELF-ISOLATION IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.

Jersey doing the same local copy.

Administrator

Hi all,
Regarding prolongation of certificates for 4 or 8 months, please note this is only valid for commercial certificates, NOT PPL’s, at least for Swedish holders.
The discussion came up in the club and I called the Swedish CAA today to get the facts, not relying on rumours.
Please see link, only in Swedish.
Undantag

Best regards / Mats

ESSP, Sweden
Sign in to add your message