Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

However, European based N-reg pilots do have real problems.

My contacts in the States do believe that very soon the FAA will offer generous and favourable extension terms to GA in both the Medical and licensing fields. Let’s watch this space . . .

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

This is an announcement from AOPA in Germany: https://aopa.de/2020/03/24/covid-19-auswirkungen-auch-nichtgewerbliche-pilotenlizenzen-werden-von-den-behoerden-pauschal-verlaengert/

Google translation:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

nearly all UK airports are closed except for ‘essential’ movements

As far as I know, none of the airports in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire is closed.

And “to travel for the purposes of work” sounds like a condition not too hard to satisfy, with a little forethought and use of the electric telephone. There’s no shortage of work to be done on most farms.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

While going to work I stopped a police patrol and asked them if I could go to the airfield to run the engine of my aeroplane, explaining the reasons.
They said that if I did they would probably have to fine me since they couldn’t justify the necessity.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

The FAA has released a new enforcement policy re medicals.

In our continuing effort to provide appropriate flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Federal Aviation Administration is issuing the attached Notice of Enforcement Policy for Expired Airman Medical Certificates. The Notice states that from March 31, 2020 to June 30, 2020, the FAA will not take legal enforcement action against any person serving as a required pilot flight crewmember or flight engineer who holds a medical certificate that expires within this time period.

Airman_Medical_Certificate_Policy_pdf

EGTK Oxford

I think that’s actually a pretty good solution: no temporary change in rules to debate, discuss etc ad infinitum, only an expiring memo on enforcement policy that explicitly creates no precedent and requires no further discussion or closure.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Mar 00:41

Silvaire wrote:

I think that’s actually a pretty good solution: no temporary change in rules to debate, discuss etc ad infinitum, only an expiring memo on enforcement policy that explicitly creates no precedent and requires no further discussion or closure.

Yep, I agree. Only concern is whether EASA will recognise it.

EGTK Oxford

Yeah… more to the point will some airport policeman recognise it.

On the BFR, he won’t see the CFI’s logbook entry anyway, and the plastic card is never questioned IME. I have heard from a bizjet pilot that medicals do get inspected sometimes, however, and that has a clear expiry date on it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It does though have this important caveat:

“This policy applies only to holders of an FAA-issued medical certificate serving as a required pilot
flight crewmember or flight engineer within the United States. It does not apply to holders of an
FAA-issued medical certificate serving as a required pilot flight crewmember or flight engineer outside the United States.”

It would seem that those of us who fly on a stand alone American license outside the USA. e.g. the U.K. are not covered by this extension.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

AfricanEagle wrote:

While going to work I stopped a police patrol and asked them if I could go to the airfield to run the engine of my aeroplane, explaining the reasons. They said that if I did they would probably have to fine me since they couldn’t justify the necessity.

I think unless you work or live on the airfield it will get grey and NO will be the default answer

In France, a friend got fined for wondering by car somewhere really far from his flat and his work on work hours…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message