Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

As I wrote previously, I think more or less all the UK airfields which closed totally are in the middle of nowhere and were basically an “airport cafe” kind of operation, where a lot of people congregated around some “grease”, and these are financially unviable with the cafe closed by law.

The others can and often do remain open for “essential” (pick you definition) operations. Quite a number of commercial movements are taking place, both fixed wing and helis.

I did a long engine run today. 30 mins at operating oil temp, and then pulled out the dipstick to let the steam out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At my US base it appears that after a period of uncertainty, during which the airport remained open and tower staffed, people have figured out that no policeman is going to stop them driving to the airport, or stop them or anybody on the roads for any reason unless their driving is obviously dangerous – It’s actually pleasant to see revenue based enforcement stop in its tracks. GA flying activity appears to be coming back to normal, as it should with reasonable precautions that are mostly inapplicable to owner/pilots. I’m in my hangar as I write with the sounds of flying aero engines nonstop in the background.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Apr 20:48

New Greek NOTAM. Basically prohibits all GA/BA and helicopter flying. No mention of VFR/IFR.

LGGG NOTAM
A1083/20 – COVID-19: FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
BY ORDER OF THE GOVERNMENT OF THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC, ALL HELICOPTER
FLIGHTS (COMMERCIAL AND PRIVATE) AND GA/BA FLIGHTS WITHIN ATHINAI
FIR OPERATING FROM/TO ANY AIRPORTS, AIRFIELDS, HELIPORTS AND
PROVISIONAL LANDING FIELDS ARE PROHIBITED.
EXEMPTED ARE:
1. SANITARY FLIGHTS
2. POLICE FLIGHTS
3. SAR FLIGHTS
4. STATE FLIGHTS
5. MILITARY FLIGHTS
6. FRONTEX FLIGHTS
7. TECHNICAL INSPECTION FLIGHTS
8. FLIGHTS RELATED TO THE FUNCTION OF THE STATE. 04 APR 09:00 2020 UNTIL 26 APR 20:59 2020. CREATED: 03 APR 18:41 2020

Last Edited by Dimme at 04 Apr 08:34
ESME, ESMS

I wonder what a sanitary flight is……

Egnm, United Kingdom

A flight in heavy turbulence, with female passengers?

Administrator

I probably should tell. I bet every single GA pilot in Norway has mailed and phoned to LT and Avinor (ATC) about these restrictions for VFR both in and outside controlled airspace. It has made little sense to anyone here. The reason is:

They have to provide information according to ICAO and local regulations. They have to provide information to SAR, police, military helicopters and planes regardless of airspace, and regardless of any other GA flight. The ATC has divided itself in 3 separate groups. If one person in one group should become ill, then the entire group is put into quarantine. Effectively reducing the capacity in one area to about 1/3 (fewer persons in each area, or fewer persons controlling larger areas). The same principle is used for SAR.

Today the knowledge about this virus and the disease has increased from practically zero, to at least some understanding and control of the situation. This has made things easier.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Good news for you Norwegians ! And sorry for the greeks

Funny to see that France and Belgium are forbidding all GA while Netherlands and Germany fly with little restrictions.
France just published a license extension for CPL/ATPL holders within ATOs or AOCs, with a valid Class 1 etc… How much effort is it to write “all licenses” instead ?

LFOU, France

Beginning on next Monday, our home base close for runway construction works, They are using the corona silence to do the planed work now in one rush, instead of doing it in several phases. So no flying until 23th of April.

EDDS , Germany

Jujupilote wrote:

Funny to see that France and Belgium are forbidding all GA

France hasnt forbidden GA…There is no NOTAM…but it has forbidden the population in general from going out unless for very specific written essential purposes…of which GA flying isnt one of those purposes!! (however, there is now a specific (but complicated) exemption for Aeroclubs to ensure engines get turned over once a month and maintenence continues etc)

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 05 Apr 06:52

The French “20 mins engine run a month” is here.

US AOPA article. They haven’t noticed the US-only scope

GA aircraft disinfection guide. local copy. Makes you very happy to be a sole owner

Administrator
Sign in to add your message