Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

gallois wrote:

There’s always some who riot over anything the government does. If the government had taken the opposite route the same bunch would be out rioting. Many don’t know what they want only what they don’t want, and even that they are not sure about.

This seems beautifully French. Has there been any discussion from within the aeroclubs about their hopes and thoughts about getting things re-opened?

Inkjet cartridges is a looooong topic. It is one reason why the old Epson and Canon printers fetch amazing prices on Ebay. They can use the non-chipped fake / refillable cartridges. There is a whole industry around these.
IME colour lasers are a massive media cost ripoff, unless again you use non-brand refills and their quality is crap, and they tend to contaminate the printer. So I have a normal b&w double sided laser for most stuff and use an inkjet for anything where colour is desired and that also deals with the inkjet nozzle blocking issue because the inkjet printer gets a fairly regular exercise.

But hey I am amazed this comes up on EuroGA, after I got taken the p1ss out of so many times for printing out all my routepacks, when all the “modern pilots” fly with everything on their Ipad I still do print everything, relying on tablets only for unplanned stuff.

I do worry though about all the people who must be trapped in their houses due to running out of printer ink.

You should worry about a collapse of our civilisation should broadband collapse

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I still do print everything, relying on tablets only for unplanned stuff.

I think this is the right approach, to be honest. One still cannot trust electronic devices 100%.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Sport and leisure flying is not permitted since the beginning of the lockdown.

That was the whole point of Peter’s post #90, wasn’t it.

There is absolutely no sense in banning sport and leisure flying as such.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Within the aeroclubs no. Most are closed. Our president.has used the time to repair and strengthen our taxi ways. Him and a group from the gliding club borrowed a steamroller from the Mayor’s office and gave them a good flattening. He also totally detailed the aircraft and renewed things like the walk areas on the wings.
The FFA on the other hand have been in constant touch with the DGAC and the minister for sport and leisure. They keep us in touch by e-mail if they have something to report and during this downtime have given free access to all theory material to allow students,BIA or anyone else should they wish to brush up on their theory.
As I wrote in another thread they are pushing the authorities to relax some of the rules and in particular to give priority to flights in double command (many clubs have a rule that if you don’t fly for more than 2 months you need a flight with an instructor and of course for flight training) They are also pushing heavily for solo flights to be allowed without any restrictions.
Fuel is not a problem within clubs normally. Arrangements are usually made.
We ahould find out whether the FFA has been successful on May 7th

France

I have upgraded last year to an Epson Ecotank printer model, and am so far relatively happy with it. No more cartridges. You pay a higher price for the printer, but ink is cheap and lasts forever. They even offer a subscription for as much ink as you want, knowing that few will max this out and probably the printer will break before you’re through your third set of ink bottles.

To stay on topic, it also prints duplex, which can be handy for approach plate booklets.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 04 May 12:51

I still have an Epson R300 with an ink tank (and a box of spare ink bottles) which I haven’t used for maybe more than 10 years. Maybe I should sell it and turn the money into avgas.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Many don’t know what they want only what they don’t want, and even that they are not sure about.

That reminds me of something I read a long time ago. If a man looks serious as in deep important thoughts, he is thinking about one of two things: food or women

I mean France. Full of good wine, good food and hot girls. Shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out what you want

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Peter & Skydriller, if you don’t mind me saying so your comments in posts 88 to 92 are particularly British.

Well, yes…Im British..

gallois wrote:

It is nothing like 75 years ago. The police/gendarmes are not from my experience demanding to see identity, although unlike the UK in France it is mandatory to carry identity at all times. You print off a piece of paper from the internet fill it out and show it if asked. You could in fact just write out the details on a piece of paper. The reason for the online form is that it is much clearer and easier for the police and yourself than someones scrawly handwriting. To have a conversation at the side of a busy road was also considered more risky than handing over a piece of paper.

My Parents weren’t even born 75 years ago and I suspect that it isnt quite like back then, but I was trying to make a point, not offend – sorry.
I live in a quiet village, and if I didnt need to go to town for shopping, I wouldnt see a Gendarme and really the only difference in our village with traditional Baker/Butcher/Pharmacy all open as normal, is that more people are out for a walk. But I have been stopped in my car every time I do go to town without fail. Yes, sometimes they do only ask for the piece of paper, but well over half the time they do want to see ID and they always ask where Im going and what Im doing while looking at either my phone or the paper. Now, I dont know about where you live, but this isnt how things were 2 months ago here, and it is to me, a generally law abiding person, pretty oppressive to be regularly stopped like this going about my business…
And I would feel exactly the same way if stopped by British Policemen in the UK every time I went out too…

I think for me its the “Im being told what to do and checked on to make sure I follow the rules” rather than " Im being asked nicely to follow the rules". Can you see what I mean?

Regards, SD..

Sign in to add your message