Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I got my SEP(A) extension from Croatian CAA valid until end of August, based on Covid-19 exemption request (originally expired end of April).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’ve mentioned the issues I’m having with my airfield at the moment, I’ve not been able to get meaningful communication from the manager, but did get a bit of extra information today.

The airfield has an ATZ and has decided and notamed that they’re closed and no out of hours.

The manager has acknowledged helicopter operations have been coming and going but says that “they are not based residents so have different terms and conditions.”

I cannot understand how with a notam that shows AD closed and no out of hours flying, how this is can be done, other than ignoring the notam.

I’m getting pretty itchy to get out (although possibly would return if they’re still in existence after the dust settles). But I do not want to break the notam or CAA bust em punishments.

So how binding is a notam to an airfield with an ATZ to stop you flying out?

Off_Field wrote:

So how binding is a notam to an airfield with an ATZ to stop you flying out?

I think the risk of regulatory action, whatever you do, is small.

The bigger risk of defying his instructions and going flying is that you become persona non grata at the airfield.

What are you commercial arrangements there? Do you pay-as-you-go on landing fees, or is it (implied) bundled in with your hangarage/parking? If the latter then you might consider writing to them stating that since they have elected to close then you will be paying a reduced fee for a period of time on the basis that they are only providing aircraft storage and not airfield facitilities.

It has been mentioned before that some airfields with a certain customer/trade profile will, when you think about what it means in practical terms, be loving this. Most of their revenue still coming in, furlough 95% of staff and save a lot of costs, no pesky customers and nothing to do all day except read and sunbathe.

EGLM & EGTN

Yes, I pay as I go on the landing fees (full normal visitor rate). At the start of lockdown I did try to pay the hangarage but got no answer on the phone, so haven’t paid that. I’ve made the request I’d like to get out until normal flight resumes and it appears I’m being blocked from that so I don’t see why they should expect hangarage from the pilots.

Maoraigh wrote:

ORSA1375 is dated 8 April, when the situation was different. I’m not optimistic.

ORS1375 was dated 8 April but the comments on the withdrawal are as of 6 May 2020 (yesterday).

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I have had to deal with a particularly annoying petit bureaucrat failure Lawyer who ended up working at a UK Council instead of a proper job today. These are the sort of people who suck all of the joy out of life! At least when the recession hits they might sack him.

Anyway, this jobsworth thinks that all UK Airports and Airfields should be closed as not on the list of “essential” businesses. He pointed to “The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020”

I have to admit that I can’t see Airports on the list so perhaps I should get the Rozzers onto Gatwick and shut them down! The same numpty also told me that Aircrew are not on the list of essential workers and it was illegal for pilots to stay in hotels………computer says no……….. We had better arrest all Pilots flying in and out of most UK airports.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the legislation which allows all of the activities above? I’d love to push back on this idiot jobsworth

Any help welcome! Thanks

United Kingdom

I can’t point you at the legislation, but the burden of proof is on him. Everything is allowed unless is it specifically prohibited.

Go and read those regulations he pointed you at. I don’t believe they mandate businesses to close unless they are on a list of essential ones. Rather it goes the other way, and mandates which ones must close (pubs, cafes, etc), everything else being ok. Your run-of-the-mill office/factory making widgets or whatever is free to continue as normal.

What sort of problem is he actually causing you?

EGLM & EGTN

Graham, I know that you are correct. He is basically trying to shut accommodation for Air Crew under the below, so are Air Crew under (a) below or (d) ?

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), a person responsible for carrying on a business consisting of the provision of holiday accommodation, whether in a hotel, hostel, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartment, home, cottage or bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, must cease to carry on that business during the emergency period.

(4) A person referred to in paragraph (3) may continue to carry on their business and keep any premises used in that business open—

to provide accommodation for any person, who—
is unable to return to their main residence;
uses that accommodation as their main residence;
needs accommodation while moving house;
needs accommodation to attend a funeral;
to provide accommodation or support services for the homeless,
(c)to host blood donation sessions, or
__(d)for any purpose requested by the Secretary of State, or a local authority._

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 07 May 18:56
United Kingdom

He also thinks Airfields and maintenance operations are “illegal”

United Kingdom

A commercial pilot who is away from home can legally stay in a hotel under the “is unable to return to their main residence” clause.

Also the expression “Secretary of State” is used throughout the ANO (do a search of this PDF; you will find it instantly) to denote the authority responsible for aviation. The Secy of State for Transport owns the Dept for Transport, which owns the CAA, and in turn the CAA “owns” all GA establishments via licensing them and collecting license fees from them.

So if the CAA says (as it has done) that it interprets the CV19 regs as saying

• maintenance can continue
  • airfields can stay open
  • people can fly anytime for maintenance
  • people can fly for 30 mins every 30 days (or whatever the engine manufacturer says)

then the permission from the Secy of State of Transport is implicit. So the requirement “for any purpose requested by the Secretary of State” is met.

More generally, the problem is that these regs were put together without considering all the necessary exceptions. I mean, that the hell is the airline pilot supposed to do? Sleep in a tent and crap into a hole he has dug in the ground like a proper hardcore camper?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message