Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

We will know soon if the UK will exempt the Channel Islands and Ireland. Only Ireland is being mentioned currently. The C.I. are however shut anyway.

Being able to do the Scilly Isles would be really nice but doing that right now would be provocative.

EDIT: In today’s Times it states that the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Jersey we are waiting to see what flying will be allowed after the next unlock announcement on 11th May. At present we can do engine maintenance flights in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, so for a Lycoming, that means a 1 hour flight every 30 days. In Guernsey it is far less restrictive already, they can fly 2 hours either every 7 or 14 days and they have been allowed to do ILS approaches etc. There are hopes for Pilot currency flights in Jersey soon. With the one flight in 30 days rule, those with a share plane could have to wait 5 months to fly.

There has been some chat that eventually (months down the line) that UK and Jersey will be in a common travel area. If so you might be able to fly to EGJJ Peter. I’ll meet you for a socially distanced coffee and you wont need to quarantine yourself at home for 14 days after

Last Edited by Jersey_Flyer at 10 May 07:28
United Kingdom

The lycoming sb180b says min one hr flight in 30 days in normal conditions. I would argue that Jersey, like the Isle of Man, being surrounded by salt water are not normal conditions!

EGNS, Other

It really comes down to what your base airport is happy with. They have to answer to the CAA, or their own national CAA, which is able to refuse to license them without giving a reason.

As I posted above it looks like the C.I. and the IOM will be flyable without getting the 14 day quarantine back on UK mainland. We will know more tomorrow. But these destinations are closed anyway. Accommodation on them is also all closed, leaving a day trip, or camping, as the only options.

I will phone up the Scilly Isles at some point and ask them for the latest info. Their website mentions the GA aspect only in allowing the engine maintenance flights of “30 mins every month”.

It is totally obvious from one look at FR24 that nearly all people are now flying non TXP because they don’t want to get savaged on the UK GA chat sites…

I don’t do Jersey anymore because the only “prop strike safe” parking is at Gama for about £200.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Archer-181 wrote:

He also thinks Airfields and maintenance operations are “illegal”

My best guess is that he doesn’t have the smarts to hold a position which might require him to interpret anything.

Low-level ‘management’ in the UK is full of these sorts of people – usually poor language skills, poor interpretative and critical reasoning skills, very little knowledge of how the law works. Unfortunately aviation as a sector seems to have more than it’s fair share, possibly due to lack of academic barriers to entry.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

I don’t do Jersey anymore because the only “prop strike safe” parking is at Gama for about £200.

I went to Jersey last summer and the grass is much better than it used to be.

What is problematic though is the requirement to complete the ‘local GAR’ on a PC that they have in reception. It is straightforward enough, but if you arrive immediately after a somewhat elderly and non-IT literate couple then you may wait half an hour while they complete their GAR before you can take a minute to do yours. Ask me how I know…..

EGLM & EGTN

We have government update at 7pm tonight where there is expected to be some small relaxation of the rules. Apparently the ‘stay at home’ message is being dropped and we will be allowed out for reasons other than the previous ‘essential’ ones.

On the face of it, this would seem to allow us to go flying. Obviously it depends on what take your airfield manager has on it (many will prefer to keep the financial support and no pesky aeroplanes situation for as long as possible) but we are lucky in that EGTN does not seem to have such a concept as being open or closed. It is just there, and you go and fly your aeroplane.

Be interesting to see how people interpret what comes out this evening and whether airfields start opening up tomorrow. My guess is a few with can-do attitudes start to open up but those with yellow-jacket managers will probably stay closed.

EGLM & EGTN

From tomorrow on in Belgium VFR is allowed again under certain conditions. Most importantly, adep and ades need to be the same. Flight training will be allowed as well. There will be clear guidelines that approve the commute to the aerodrome.

EBST, Belgium

We might not be allowed to fly again tomorrow…

DGAC just stated mid-march that, as we couldn’t move from home to airfield, leisure fights are de facto forbidden.
Now, they don’t want to declare flying legal because they didn’t fordbid it !

From tomorrow, people can move within 100km around their home. So aicraft owners should be able to fly.
But, for clubs, PM said “only individual outside sports” are allowed (in short, no football, but golf is OK). For instance, taxis are allowed and driving schools will open again.

So nobody knows now if flying will be considered as a sport or as any free-time activity. The Sport Ministry is writing a document explaining all measures to be taken for each and every sport, which will take a long time (during which we can reflect on over-regulation )

My opinion : FFA gets trapped where it tried to play ie showing aviation as a sport and airfields like stadiums.

LFOU, France

I guess for private owners, it will be back to flying as long as the airfield is 100km from home

For aeroclubs, things are not clear yet but is it that all GA aeroclubs in France now are associated with “FAA & sports”? if not this may push some to open if non-affiliated do so as in any level playing field…

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 May 15:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message