Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

So nobody knows now if flying will be considered as a sport or as any free-time activity.

I guess this lot would regard it as a sport.

http://www.europe-air-sports.org/

Egnm, United Kingdom

Given that the FAI "is the world governing body for air sports " there should be little, if any, doubt. And yes, “general aviation” is listed, but you could be also training for an air rally.

Last Edited by tmo at 10 May 16:33
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

The term “sports” is both useful and not useful.

Sporting activities have general broad political support, notably in the ex military sphere which is well represented in all national CAAs. This thus assists deregulation of GA.

OTOH, the inevitable VFR-only limitation works against advancing GA utility value. VFR-only means ATC can refuse CAS entry without a reason, which as a concession is a huge help with regulatory politics (keeps “amateurs” out of airspace owned by “professionals”) but it pretty effectively blocks any great progress on an accessible IR.

It’s been interesting to see the CV19 regs block VFR flight in some countries. Presumably this meant that somebody with an IR could have filed a Eurocontrol IFR flight (or just flown IFR in Class G) and his only issue would have been the “non essential” travel to the airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PPL/IR falls under “Europe-air-sports” members, good thing for GA flying to stay under “sport” than “transport”, instead of the reverse, the latter tends to regulated by dragons and dinosaurs

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 May 17:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

regulated by dragons and dinosaurs

Can you imagine the extra HP that would come from if dragon-based avgas would replace the current dinosaur based one? ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

One of the conditions for making a flight in Belgium is decontaminating the cockpit (and every bit of plane you touched) after every flight. Is there a product one would recommend which won’t melt my ‘80s-plastified cockpit ?

EBST, Belgium

It is your plane, right? Can you say you left an ozone generator on for 24h or whatever?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

IPA works great, supposedly. I use it everywhere, including cleaning up the plane interior after servicing.

There is a significant CV19 profit enhancement… this is from October 2019

Just watched tonight’s PM briefing. It sounds like travel restrictions are being removed. You can travel outside your house without a limit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Damn, that’s some expensive IPA. Over here a 1 liter bottle costs 8 GBP (40 GBP for 5 liters) and is readily available (ordered some about three weeks ago) from eg here – dunno if they ship to the UK – might be a “no export” commodity, like gloves and masks and the like.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Also, on the subject of alcohol disinfection – I recall reading that too high of an concentration is counterproductive – the 99%+ alcohol creates a protein-based shield in which the virus can survive. I think it was regarding make-your-own handwash, so might not be applicable to applying alcohol to disinfect surfaces. More cheap IPA here – 20 GBP for 5l.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message