Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Peter wrote:

They seemed to have removed the “don’t leave home unless doing one of these [ a non exhaustive list of “essential” activities ]” part, which would always give either the real police or the millions of “self appointed police” a reason to criticise somebody who left their house to go to the airport, or do some other activity in which they don’t come anywhere near another person.

This is how I understood last night’s news, but unfortunately the nuance appears to be too subtle for a very significant proportion of the population. Certainly for a good chunk of the media, but then they play dumb to try and make the government look bad.

As you’ve said before, the issue is that you have to make the message very, very clear and simple so that people with an IQ down to about 80 can grasp it.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

unfortunately the nuance appears to be too subtle

In situations such as this where police are behaving according to their own interpretation of the guidance, ‘nuances’ are unwanted. Black and White guidance is a necessity.

Graham wrote:

so that people with an IQ down to about 80 can grasp it.

I am assuming that was a general statement and wasn’t aimed at me.

Last Edited by Coda at 11 May 09:20
LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Coda wrote:

I am assuming that was a general statement and wasn’t aimed at me.

Absolutely not aimed at you, sorry if it looked that way! As Peter has said continuously, the messaging needs to be very simple so that the very significant proportion of the population which lacks any critical reasoning skills or ability to analyse language can get their heads round it.

The Police obviously need black and white guidance because of their natural tendency to try and expand their powers.

I’m happy with the nuance – it’s a complicated situation. I can analyse the words used and work out what I believe it allows and what it doesn’t. What’s actually more significant is what is no longer being said, rather than anything new being said.

It may be too nuanced for the population at large. However, I cannot see a way to (a) make this small change that we don’t now need an essential reason to go out, and (b) keep the messaging as super-simple as it was.

EGLM & EGTN

then they play dumb to try and make the government look bad.

It comes naturally to them. I see 3 options

• the TV presenters are unbelievably thick
  • the producers of the programmes are unbelievably thick
  • the producers of the programmes are under instructions to aim at the thickest bit of the audience

We will get some clarification over the next few days.

FWIW, this is today’s interpretation from the BBC website

It looks to me like GA flying, solo obviously, must be permitted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Royal Yachting Association (RYA) has been quite confident and forceful in terms of their expectation with respect to boating for recreational purposes (not training):

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/return-to-boating-update.aspx

Seems like they are quite well-connected. If flying solo or with household members continues to be not allowed whilst social distance compliant boating is allowed, I see that as a failure to lobby and make the case.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 11 May 11:31
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

As others are pointing out, the message Boris was giving yesterday was actually really simple:
USE COMMON SENSE GOING ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS

But he cant just say that, because quite plainly some people are incapable of this.
It will be interesting to see whether those in Scotland/Wales/NI will become more active too regardless of the “differences”.

Regards, SD..

How are different countries treating GA crew members regarding the quarantine right now? In Estonia they are exempted from local quarantine, some countries seem not to have any quarantine rules for Schengen countries (sweden).
EETU, Estonia

wbardorf wrote:

Seems like they are quite well-connected. If flying solo or with household members continues to be not allowed whilst social distance compliant boating is allowed, I see that as a failure to lobby and make the case.

Flying in the UK was never actually banned, one just couldn’t justify the journey to the airfield with the rules about ‘essential journeys’. Travel restrictions have now been lifted – one can drive as far as one wants and does not need an excuse to do so.

However this is a clear indication to me that the RYA is run by far higher calibre people than either the LAA or AOPA UK, both of which issued poor statements this morning.

EGLM & EGTN

For me GA in the UK seemed ‘problematic’ (for want of a better word), coming from elsewhere in Europe. Before flying, I was into sailing. I am not sure if my time and money would be better invested on the sea than in the air…

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Maybe the definition of “common sense” has changed within the PM after his own personal experience with the “flu”.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message