Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I agree that in the current circumstances the risk of a “checkout” may outweigh the risk of flying without one.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

I agree that in the current circumstances the risk of a “checkout” may outweigh the risk of flying without one.

Their aeroplane = their rules. It is not exactly without precedent for aviation to have dumb rules, particularly ones designed to mitigate one risk that create a much bigger risk of something more problematic.

In line with Peter’s sentiments, it is a large part of the reason that shortly after getting my licence I took steps to ensure that I wasn’t dependent on such a business in order to have an aeroplane to fly.

EGLM & EGTN

It is really dumb to require a blanket checkout like this, for a pilot who has a load of hours over some years.

That’s a reasonable description of me. I’m a member of three flying groups.
Following a soggy autumn and winter followed by Covid shutdown, many, including me, have not flown since the end of last year.
Group rules require a checkout for such pilots except of course for those lucky enough to have squeezed a flight in on one of the few decent days just before the lockdown.
Theoretically, unless I’m willing to fly with an instructor, and able to find one willing to fly with me, then I’m grounded indefinitely. One of the group’s rules make some provision for flying with other group members but that’s not an option for Just the same reasons.
As it stands there are now therefore just a few lucky pilots who have exclusive use of the aircraft to the exclusion of others.
Unless some leeway is given by club and syndicate rules there will be literally thousands of perfectly legal pilots grounded indefinitely for this reason.
Goes to show that once again, a group of one is the best group.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Greece opening up early

Amazing…

a group of one is the best group.

Couldn’t agree more, reading of the grief people in schools/clubs are going through. That flight with the instructor (who will have flown with so many others) will be far more risky than the flight itself.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d just like to offer a Head of Training perspective, as someone who is already getting the pressure on ‘club checks’. I can totally understand the keenness to get flying from many renters, most of whom won’t have flown for around 3 months+. We have a 45 day currency period, and the pressure will be to waive that so people can go flying solo.

Bear in mind that many renters are already operating on the lowest limit of currency (and ergo competency) and as Accountable Manager I have to weigh up the risk of my operation and justify/risk assess any exemptions to the operational boundary I have set through my orders and procedures.

Common issues on currency and renter checks are poor speed control on approach, poor landing technique, poor forced landing field selection and often poor ‘sortie management’ leading to capacity issues with RT and in flight navigation etc.. All of which could go unchecked (rather than being coached and improved) if we just allow solo flights.

I now face the risk of ‘rusty’ pilots potentially bending an aircraft, which could put either 1/2 or 1/3 of my operational capability out of action and potentially be the final nail in financial coffin. All of which for naff all profit.

So you can see why it may be rational to insist on currency checks…?

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

UK Dept for Transport statement

This will still be just another form of “guidance”, but it looks like very few airfields will change their procedures (those that are open at all) until they have this “cover your 6 o’clock” guidance.

Administrator

MattL wrote:

So you can see why it may be rational to insist on currency checks…?

From the point of view of protecting your business and assets it 100% makes sense. No disrespect intended to any particular individual, but I would not want the average 10-15 hour a year club renter flying either of the aircraft I own shares in, whether checked out by an instructor or not!

The problem is it leaves many customers in a position where they cannot fly at all while social distancing is in place. It is clearly impossible to instruct and social distance.

Thus if you operate training/rental aircraft, the optimum business strategy would appear to be to close and furlough your staff for as long as possible.

Nice IR(R) referesher video by the way :-)

EGLM & EGTN

I don’t think most currently closed airfields will open even if they can because of the massive attractiveness of the “80% salary package”.

It is probably better than what they were getting at peak season, and definitely so with the cafe shut.

In fact most of the GA “watering holes” will clearly not open at all until the cafe can be open (which may not happen this year) because the “boycott any place over [choose your number but usually about £10]” movement has been so successful on the UK GA chat sites to keep landing fees depressed to the point where the cafe income is more important.

Administrator

I don’t see many airfields being in a rush to open for private flyers. Airports (like my base) usually generate their income from flying schools as they do significantly more landings and use much more fuel than the private owner.

With most airport staff furloughed it won’t be a very attractive proposition to open airfields to private flyers only. The social distancing and aircraft cleaning (never happened before) issues in training aircraft have to be resolved to get back to some sort of normal.

The only possibility may be to bring back a small percentage of the staff that would be needed for private flying to start. For example not all Fire crew, Tower staff or Admin staff would be needed. Under this system I can see all sorts of new regulations being introduced by airports, as if there weren’t enough already. For example, PPR slot times to take off and arrive to be issued 24 hours in advance etc. I’m sure you can think of many more.

EGLK, United Kingdom

MattL wrote:

Bear in mind that many renters are already operating on the lowest limit of currency (and ergo competency) and as Accountable Manager I have to weigh up the risk of my operation and justify/risk assess any exemptions to the operational boundary I have set through my orders and procedures.

I absolutely see your point. And I can list a half dozen people a my aeroclub I wouldnt let loose solo without a check flight. At the same time I can think of at least that many again who I wouldnt hesitate to let fly without worry having not been able to fly this last 2 months. The problem would be how to allow this to happen without appearing unfair and discriminatory. I actually think that in your position of owning a business, you probably have more leeway to do this than in our aeroclub which is run by members for members.

Regards. SD..

Sign in to add your message