Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Somehow it is strange that the UK will impose quarantine only from a future date on? So basically now people scramble to still get some place abroad before they need quarantine coming back? In theory, they can carry to and fro infected people now. This logic escapes me totally. Either people entering the country are a threat or not. Even though quite obviously the opposite is also possible, I am amazed that anyone would let UK citizens in without quarantine at this stage. The UK still is one of the countries with most cases in Europe.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I don’t think they can; almost no airlines are flying so nobody can really go anywhere.

And nobody is going anywhere anyway all the time there is any possibility of a detention for 2 weeks upon return. They need to do what Austria is doing – a €200 test on getting off the plane. A great solution. Well, not if you have 6 kids…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the Balearics it seems like we are heading for a ‘pilot’ as a first step to gradually launch tourism. As of 15 June some 5.000 tourists could fly in. They will get a PCR test upon arrival and will then have to stay in their hotel for 6 hours thereafter during which time the test is processed. After July 1st things supposedly would become easier? Who knows. I’m sure all authorities are spring-loaded and that recent flare-up of infections in S. Korea does not help.

I have no idea how GA will be handled. Maybe they will treat the jet scene similarly (going to LEPA, LEIB, LEMH), but I’m not sure if anyone thinks about Son Bonet.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

Re the old Q of whether you can fly to France from the UK, the Foreign Office says here…
….There is also some form in France for which I obviously don’t have a URL. It is a French authorisation supposedly downloadable from the gouv.fr website. No idea what is in it. Maybe a French pilot can find it?

Well that FO advice is obviously from around 2 months ago…Commercial flights within France are supposed to start from next week when the 100km radius thing is lifted. The problem isnt airports being closed but there being no commercial flights they have skeleton staff for Freight/Bizjets/State traffic. Calais is open BTW.
The problem is that until June 15th (the date the French border is supposed to open) the only valid reasons for flying to/from France are if you are French, are resident here, or have a legitimate business reason for coming/going – and you need the travel form filled in and backup paperwork to prove what you say…
I posted a link several pages back, Ill see if I can dig it up again.

Here you go – found it – French & English versions

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 30 May 06:38

Peter wrote:

Arriving from Mali Losinj yesterday

Peter – are you low on fuel after 5-6 hrs flying non-stop?
What about pilot and passenger fatigue?

United Kingdom

Landed with 20 USG – enough for almost 2 hrs further. Not fatigued; use oxygen the whole time.

Much more satisfying that sitting on an airliner, which I wouldn’t do anyway with this virus going around.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Interesting Q. Not heard anything. It seems fairly vague; maybe they are hoping to implement some of the “air bridge” idea before they actually do it.

The reason for asking the question is there is this long list of quarantine exemptions at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules but it is officially called “guidance” on the gov.uk website and it is not clear to me what the underlying legal framework for the quarantine, the exemptions and the enforcement is.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

wbardorf wrote:

it is officially called “guidance” on the gov.uk website and it is not clear to me what the underlying legal framework for the quarantine, the exemptions and the enforcement is.

Within it, there are certain exemptions – some of which have been publicised and others not.
Travel to/from Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man: Both Air Crew and Passengers will NOT need to fill in the necessary form on return to the UK, or self-isolate for 14 days. Presumably, the Special Branch Requirements will still need to be fulfilled and the place of arrival needs to have declared that it is happy to receive you (which at the moment, The Channel Islands do not).
Travel from other overseas countries: ALL passengers are required to complete a Registration form and self-isolate for 14 days on arrival back in the UK.
But under the new Regulations there are certain exemptions of which this is one: “crew, as defined in paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the Air Navigation Order 2016(h), where such crew have travelled to the UK in the course of their work”.

Para 1, Schedule 1 of the ANO defines ‘Crew’ as:
“Crew” means persons carried in an aircraft who are
(a) a member of the flight crew; (b) a person carried on the flight deck who is appointed by the operator of the aircraft to give or to supervise the training, experience, practice and periodical tests required for the flight crew under article 114(2) or any provision of EU-OPS; or (c) a member of the cabin crew;

I cannot find any definition of “in the course of their work” although I assume it could mean receipt of ‘remuneration’, or that flying is their main employment.
Is it possible, though, that if one did travel from other overseas countries (i.e. Germany which is opening up its borders from next week) either as a pilot who was by himself, or shared the flight with another crew, he/they would NOT need to declare and/or self-isolate; but any passengers would?

If such an interpretation is possible, then solo flights, or with ‘crew’, to overseas might still be allowable.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Agree, which is why I have been looking for where there is actually a more legally-binding and precise wording of the exemptions.

The article at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/31/quarantine-plan-faces-tory-revolt-reach-commons-week-senior/ might explain it – there is no statutory instrument in place yet:

Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, will on Tuesday lay the regulations in Parliament enacting the quarantine under which all international arrivals, including returning Britons, will be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

The quarantine plan will be laid before Parliament as a statutory instrument which does not automatically go to a vote. Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle will have to decide whether the scale of opposition merits a debate although MPs fear it could be caught in the row over electronic voting.

Isn’t it a bit cheeky to publish guidelines if the statutory instrument isn’t yet in place and still needs to be voted on?

Last Edited by wbardorf at 31 May 22:42
Sign in to add your message