Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

OK… behind a paywall but enough to get the idea

It will be interesting. They could easily do “air bridges”, with Croatia and Greece being the obvious ones. Greece doesn’t want Brits right now, which is understandable.

Otherwise, is it possible to return via a fuel stop in Guernsey or somewhere in Ireland? I mean, do any places there sell fuel for stopovers, even if they are closed to visitors?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does anyone know if one could have a fuel stop in France on the way to Croatia ???

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

Does anyone know if one could have a fuel stop in France on the way to Croatia ???

From the previous page I wrote:

skydriller wrote:

The problem is that until June 15th (the date the French border is supposed to open) the only valid reasons for flying to/from France are if you are French, are resident here, or have a legitimate business reason for coming/going – and you need the travel form filled in and backup paperwork to prove what you say…
I posted a link several pages back, Ill see if I can dig it up again.

Here you go – found it – French & English versions

I wonder if the same rules would apply for a “transit”

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

I wonder if the same rules would apply for a “transit”

If you mean “overflight” then I dont see a problem as there are no NOTAMs preventing VFR or IFR flight, just Laws about entry/exit of the country. If you mean a fuel stop remaining airside, that is another thing (though technically it should not be an entry?) and you would need to contact the airport for guidance as to if that would be OK and within the capabilities of the aerodrome/airport… I suggest that “handling” may come into it though…

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 01 Jun 17:48

I would definitely check with the airport. In GA, “tech stops” don’t generally operate, despite so many people saying they do. Well, they do at LYBE.

I would also check post-8th-June that you can return to the UK with a fuel stop in Ireland. I wonder where in Ireland one would use? Weston is shut. Probably Dublin is ok; does it have avgas?

Administrator

Unless you’re in a large heavy plane you’re probably better off using Ballyboy (or similar) in Ireland, rather than Dublin.

Andreas IOM

Well I did the really hard thing and made a phone call to ASG Guernsey and they say you can land for fuel, subject to PPR via the airport website.

The Channel Islands remain totally closed to visitors (well unless you want a quarantine, which wouldn’t be so bad on Alderney ) in the meantime.

We discussed this topic in the Zoom meeting last night and it does seem that just about every airport which is open and functioning can do a fuel stop.

The bit I would add – and there is some dissent on this – is that you have to comply with Customs/Immigration PNR/PPR requirements even for just a fuel stop. The dissent is basically in the department of “ICAO tech stops” which are fully supported, but I don’t think the usual airport policeman cares much for that.

I also phoned up Alderney ATC and they said you cannot land there at all. If you did (mayday etc) you would have to stay for 14 days

Administrator

The UK law on the quarantine is here local copy

Exceptions:

It seems to be tightly drafted i.e. the list is now exhaustive.

You can go out to buy food however and that will make enforcement impossible because you can just say you were going out to buy food.

This bit prevents entering the UK via the CTA and getting away with it

Some people are already working from home and for them a quarantine will be ok. Especially if you always pop into a food shop when you are out I would still do a trip abroad, to a special place. Croatia and Slovenia are the main options currently.

It cripples GA flying abroad, but then the nearby countries are mostly closed to foreign visitors anyway.

Administrator

I flew into Venice Lido yesterday. Whilst we sat and had a fabulous lunch we saw three planes arrive from Germany but that seemed to be it for the day.

Venice is eerily quiet with rows of gondolas lined up like jets at Heathrow. 10% of the hotels are open but with only .01% of the normal tourists there has never been a better time to visit. (I have a degree from Imperial so those numbers are precise and must be accepted without question. They are not just vague, handwaving guesses😊)

Next stop is Naples and the Amalfi Coast then maybe Rome and Sicily (open to suggestions)

Obviously there are biases to my sampling but the people we speak to are looking forward to things opening up though no one expects things to return to normal this summer.

LFMD - Cannes
Sign in to add your message