Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

prohibiting social contact with friends and family in my home

I’m afraid that I wrote that before reading the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions and Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2020, which purport to restrict “gatherings” in public and private places.

The definition of a “gathering” is such that the Crown would have to prove that persons were “present together in a place in order to engage in any form of social interaction with each other”. That might be difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt in the absence of “loose lips”.

Then we have a veritable smorgasbord of exemptions (the burden of proof of which is on the accused), “for the purpose of”:

• Work
  • Voluntary services
  • Charitable services
  • Childcare
  • Education
  • Training
  • Facilitating a house move
  • Facilitating shared parenting

As they say at a Premier Inn breakfast, “fill yer boots”.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The current travel situation out of Switzerland for Europe.

Source: Blick. There are similar graphics (with the same content) in “serious” papers but frankly, Blick often has the best organized information, despite being a tabloid. And they don’t hide them behind a paywall.

Green are countries where you can travel to / from unrestricted. That is until they decide that they will impose quarantine for entry from Switzerland.
Red: No travel possible at all.
Violet: Quarantines on both ways.
Light blue: Quarantine in the destination country
dark blue: quarantine coming back.

If anyone can find a system behind this, you’re welcome to it.

Main problem with the whole story is that there are NO internationally recognized criteria under which a country will declare quarantine with another. Switzerland uses the figure of 60 new infections per 100k inhabitants per 14 days. What the others use, is difficult to find out.

Now this is a graphic for direct flights Switzerland/Destination. What if you have to take a connecting flight? Does being in transit count? and all that.

Also this graphic is probably outdated the moment it hit the paper. It can easily change if one of the “green” countries decides Switzerland should now be put on their list.

So let’s get this straight. The EU has criteria and limits for everything, most of which are also used by the EFTA countries and so on. So we know how curved a banana can be but they can’t agree to a figure a normal person can understand on when they will impose quarantine. Also some countries allow entry with a recent (usually 72 hours) covid test, but others do not. Also there is no real lead time, so you will know for sure that upon your arrival you may actually enter.

IMHO, this is more damaging to the travel industry as a full timed lockdown, as people will simply stop booking in this incertainty or if they do book, need to be rebooked or reimbursed… This mess needs cleaning up and fast.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Would love to try and visit Germany in November but given the rising R in the UK it is not looking too hopeful.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Violet: Quarantines on both ways.

That is only true for the Republic of Ireland when detection and isolation is ordered by a medical officer of health pursuant to the Health Act 1947, s 38A. The only movement restriction is a temporary one, applicable regardless of recent travel history, affecting County Dublin as set out in part 3 of the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No. 5) Regulations 2020.

London, United Kingdom

I particularly like the thing with France and the different regions. How exactly is that being policed?
Because it isnt just the border regions that are quarantine exempt…yet the airports that would fly direct to Switzerland are in Quarantine areas!!
Germany has a similar thing going on too – What a complete balls-up!!

I reckon the major consequence is that really only people who have no choice will travel at the moment. Which, I suppose, is part of the reasoning behind this. If everyone stayed at home, followed the instructions to the letter when they have to go out, chances would be that this whole nightmare would be over in a few weeks, but that won’t happen as there are enough smart arses around who think they know better and keep spreading this plague.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I just want to get my plane’s permit done, but with my next free time in October, when the UK will likely once again be in full lockdown, it’s looking a bit dodgy.

Andreas IOM

One can travel in and out of the IOM, by getting a special permission. I know a guy who does it periodically.

And the UK is not likely to go after you for not quarantining if you aren’t there anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are there any current restriction flying to Germany from the UK. I’ve looked at Re open and AFAICT the UK is on Germany’s quarantine list, however it is a bit ambiguous.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Peter wrote:

And the UK is not likely to go after you for not quarantining if you aren’t there anymore.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel) (England) Regulations 2020, as amended (link):

Requirement to self-isolate
4.—(1) This regulation applies where a person (“P”)—

(a) arrives in England from a non-exempt country or territory, or

(b) arrives in England from within the common travel area or from an
exempt country or territory, and has at any time in the period beginning
with the 14th day before the date of their arrival in England, departed
from or transited through a non-exempt country or territory.

(9) During the period of their self-isolation, P may not leave, or be
outside of, the place where P is self-isolating except—

(a) to travel in order to leave England, provided that they do so directly,

Rob2701 wrote:

Are there any current restriction flying to Germany from the UK. I’ve looked at Re open …

The federal travel restrictions (link) do not apply to UK nationals or residents. Each German state has its own self-isolation requirements. The Federal Foreign Office appears to suggest that these are largely based on the list of risk areas maintained by the Robert Koch Institute, rki.de. The list is updated on Wednesdays. It appears the threshold for making it on to the list is 50 new cases per hundred thousand inhabitants in the last 7 days. The ECDC gives a figure of 99.7 cases/hundred thousand inhabitants over the past 14 days (link).

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message