Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Inverness EGPE restriction was NOT from airport management.
Inverness EGPE update:
“Message from xxxxxxx, Inverness ATC: According to the latest Scot Gov guidelines we are allowed to travel within our local authority area, so this would allow flights to/from Knockbain, Dornoch, Easter etc. Just ring Inverness Ops prior to get PPR.”

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I phoned up Scilly Isles re this notam

L1534/21
SCILLY ISLES/ST MARYS ATS AD OPERATING HOURS WILL VARY AT SHORT
NOTICE TO ACCOMODATE SCHEDULED OPERATOR FLIGHTS ONLY AND REMAINS
STRICTLY PPR, AD REMAINS AVAILABLE TO SAR, EMERGENCY AND MIL
FLIGHTS AT ALL TIMES, LOCAL BASED OUT OF HOURS INDEMNITIES ARE IN
FORCE.

They may open on 12th April. It is a joint decision between the airport and the council. The council owns the airport.

There will be a ban on day trippers (why, no idea!) like last year, but there is a ban on all overnight stays anyway in all of the UK if it is a “shared facility”. So if you can find self catering there, with no shared areas, you should be able to fly there after 12/4. The place is getting rapidly booked out though:

I contacted the Garrison Campsite (chart above) and they are not opening until mid May when the “shared facility” restriction is supposed to go away. They are affected by this, bizzarely, because their toilet block is a “shared facility”.

In the meantime, as posted further above, we can do meetups, outdoors, and from next week the shops will be mostly open. No sit-down restaurants though.

Indications are that when foreign travel re-opens, maybe June, you will need a CV19 test at the destination country before you fly back even if you have been vaccinated. The obvious issue with that is: what happens if it is positive (in the UK, you are likely to be vaccinated, but what if you picked up something on the airliner going there which produces a positive test). Being locked up for months at some govt run hotel in Greece in solitary confinement is a big risk.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there any risk of immunization antibodies showing as infected?
In the 1964? Aberdeen Typhoid event, a colleague who had been for years a ship crew member, and who was a traced contact, had to isolate as it could not be determined if his regular vaccinations or a recent infection caused the antibodies tested.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

From the government, no.

First of all, most COVID tests look for viral material rather than antibodies to it. Secondly, the current vaccines only make spike proteins and the virus will also induce antibodies to other components of the virus so it should be possible to distinguish between people who have been infected or just immunised.

If you’ve had the COVID-19 vaccine
Vaccines teach your immune system how to create antibodies. But the antibodies developed after vaccination are different to the ones the antibody test checks for to tell you if you’ve had the virus before. If you’ve had the vaccine, you may be asked to take a different test to check your response to it.
The COVID-19 vaccine will not affect the result of your antibody test.

Last Edited by kwlf at 07 Apr 20:25

Here they have just announced the plans for “green country” (no list published yet) foreign travel.

2 tests in the UK, one before and 1 after travel. So that’s good, because there is no chance of getting trapped in a foreign country govt solitary confinement hellhole for months.

But that is about £200/person. This is fine for a decent holiday, but expensive if you have 6 kids and the airlines don’t like that because the whole point of cheap flights is that you can bring a load of kids (generally the bottom-price ticket cost is negligible on the total cost of a holiday, other than a really cheap one).

But it avoids bringing the vaccine passports into it because they would be “divisive” (the current dumbo-media-driven hot potato) and the opposition has said they won’t back them. But they will come anyway because the destinations will demand them. The only Q is whether they will be used for UK events, pubs and such.

I’ve seen PCR tests offered for £80 or so, B2B, for business travellers.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

2 tests in the UK, one before and 1 after travel. So that’s good . . .

Not so good for a Day Trip to Le Touquet from the UK.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Yes; they need to do the vaccine passports. Then at least some of us can do this, although most pilots by the summer.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Here they have just announced the plans for “green country” (no list published yet) foreign travel.

The big question will be what the lists look like.

From a purely technical point of view, most of the EU needs to be on the red list right now and that’s unlikely to change until they are properly into gear on vaccination – which could easily be 2-3 more months and then once you have a critical mass with one jab (i.e. perhaps >50% chance a person is no longer a viable host for the virus) you need another month for that to drive infections right down and for the hospitals to empty.

So it could wipe out most of the summer.

Perhaps we read the requirements differently. I read it as needing a test before departure on the trip back to the UK, but that is fraught with problems because what is available locally will vary enormously. Is it a test before leaving the UK then, and one after arriving back?

Grant Shapps said: (my bold)

“But, I am undertaking today to drive down the costs of those tests and looking at some innovative things we could do. For example, whether we can help provide the lateral flow test that people need to take before they depart the country that they are in to return to the UK."
Last Edited by Graham at 09 Apr 10:48
EGLM & EGTN

Hmmm, well, here I see

Passengers will have to take the tests before leaving and on returning – even from low-risk “green” countries.

and

which to me reads fairly clearly. No doubt this will change in the next 10 mins

Not much change of popping over to LFAT, and Greece doesn’t look good either although they can sort out specific islands very easily

Administrator

Another thing, for day trips, is that

Passengers will have to take the tests before leaving and on returning – even from low-risk “green” countries.

could well enable a single test to do a day trip abroad. This is what Germans have been doing to do day trips to France recently. It depends on whether the wording says e.g. “within preceeding 72hrs”.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message