Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Peter where do you get the information Tjat people are not allowed to fly in France? Things here at Open and we’re flying. Lockdown is over since Tuesday but the visionaries have installed a curfew at 8 PM which is really the only measure in place. The ministry of no fun have also closed restaurants etc so that is still in place

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Gotcha – as of the 15th those restrictions have finally been lifted.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

A lot of argument in Switzerland for example. The airports remain open but you need the ski destinations open too, and not crowded.

Don’t hold your breath on that. Those things are currently all in pencil and can change at a moment’s notice. There are dramatic appeals for a total lockdown from the Corona Taskforce (leading experts advising the government) as well as from all the leading hospitals. I don’t think there is any choice right now than to lock down as it was in spring, which would stop the skiing season until at least January, probably longer.

alioth wrote:

The Isle of Man Government expects “border level 4” (only Manx residents and key workers allowed to enter the island, anyone entering must self-isolate on arrival including anyone else who shares the same household) to last until at least Easter.

Nice to see that there are some sane governments left in Europe.

alioth wrote:

We did have someone jetski from Scotland (which made the New York Times!) apparently to see his girlfriend. He’s now in prison for violating our border laws.

Well done.

Peter wrote:

t is doable only on islands, which have very little tourism, and are full of curtain-twitchers who spot anything out of ordinary, and where the police have nothing to do all day

I don’t think so. Full lockdowns have worked in spring also elsewhere but it will require a tough and clear set of regulations being put in place and police as well as possibly the army out in force to enforce it as a difference to then. The critical thing is to declare lock down radius within which you can e.g. freely be outside but can’t leave without a darn good reason, only food stores open with strict observance of mask and density regulations e.t.c. This can be enforced just about anywhere and I guess a lot of people who are sick and tired to be confined thus by self centered morons disregarding the rules will help enforce it too due to social pressure.

What is also very important would be that countries or even districts which have few or no cases lock themselves up to outside influx, as the above examples show.

It must be clear that travel can only restart in any form once vaccination has been established and figures are down close to zero.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

In France, people are not allowed to fly their own private aircraft, even if the aircraft has to be serviced in another field. Training flights are allowed there, because that is an economic activity.

This was incorrect and is incorrect now.

During the lockdown 30th Oct to 27th Nov you had to justify a reason for aeroplane travel exactly as you had to for car travel – ie business/work/imperative family reason/government/essential purchases. This meant that leisure flying was stopped (aeroclubs) but that commercial flying schools could operate and you could fly your aeroplane to maintenance business. Individual leisure was allowed up to 1km from your residence, so interestingly, the FFPLUM stated that para-motoring from your garden was OK!!

From 28th Nov to 14th Dec you could now travel 20km from your residence for any reason including individual leisure activity – so those lucky enough to live less than 20km from their airfield (me ) could now fly solo (with household members) up to 20km from their residence (not aerodrome). Further than 20km you required the lockdown reasons for travel.

Now, from 15th Dec there are no restrictions on travel for any reason including leisure during the daytime from 6am until 8pm, so you can fly without restriction during these hours and aeroclubs can operate their aeroplanes. During Curfew you need the lockdown reasons for travel.

Regards, SD..

I never wrote “people are not allowed to fly their own private aircraft” !!!

The post appears here and it was IAOPA who wrote it, in their periodic email mailshot. I even put it very correctly in italics so it was really obvious it was a quote from elsewhere.

The way to double participation on EuroGA is for me to post something which appears incorrect, like here And sure enough I didn’t say that either; I just said the islands were shut. That was posted by a local (French) pilot, so it is beyond dispute…

Re the 20km radius, there is a post here somewhere from FR24, showing someone flying a 20km radius DME arc to comply with this regulation

Administrator

For leisure flying scope things have changed a bit, but mainly the radius of flying that moved from 1km to 20km to unlimited now

For other flying, dual & solo in “commercial ATOs” is explicitly allowed as long as it falls under selected training courses (something to do with “university equivalence” or registered at La DIRECT but for simplicity if your training prices are VAT exempt then it should be allowed )

Solo flying or with household for leisure has always been allowed even in FFA aéroclubs but moved from 1km to 20km to unlimited today, also some non-FFA/ATO instructors still do dual flying now, they don’t feel concerned by FFA/DGAC “interpretations of the décret” which is more tailored to leisure flying & aéroclubs setup and fall short when it comes to “paying for their bills”

Business flying (like driving) is always allowed and I don’t think Islands airports were closed in any shape or form? maybe one could not fly to Île-Yeu for leisure with 1km & 1h restriction? But I am sure you can land there and just say “business” if anyone asks

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Dec 10:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As the saying goes, if you want to get an answer to a question on the internet, for god’s sake don’t ask directly. Post the wrong answer and wait for the hordes of experts to come to correct you.

Yes but it should not be like that, and usually it isn’t here on EuroGA.

Administrator

While flying was until 1km from home, it was in fact a ban. Amazing how we all write the same thing differently

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message