Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Thinking about residents of the AirPark near LFAT, they managed to sneak few flights even with that 1km & 1h restriction

The “solo flying ban” in aeroclub scenes happened simply because president or permanent staff live 21km away from the club? it also affect a private owner who lives 21km away but not those who sleep near their aircrafts unless they rely on some else to come and do the admin?

The same “technical flying ban” is now in the UK because some full English restaurants are closed

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Dec 13:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t think this has been posted here already, but prob90 is of interest as there are several FAA certificated pilots here. Essentially the FAA is extending medicals and some other stuff again due to Covid.

See here local copy

Off_Field wrote:

As the saying goes, if you want to get an answer to a question on the internet, for god’s sake don’t ask directly. Post the wrong answer and wait for the hordes of experts to come to correct you.

Unfair.

I have posted previously about the lockdown here in France and the rule changes when they happened – That is exactly what this thread is for. I only posted correcting Peter’s post/quote precisely because this isnt a place where people post misleading and incorrect information.

Ibra wrote:

The “solo flying ban” in aeroclub scenes happened simply because president or permanent staff live 21km away from the club? it also affect a private owner who lives 21km away but not those who sleep near their aircrafts unless they rely on some else to come and do the admin?

Not exactly. Most (all?) aeroclubs were informed by the FFA that during the 2x lockdowns that flying was specifically not allowed for leisure purposes. We have 2 pilots living at our aeroclub airfield and they did not fly our aeroclub aeroplanes. As I mentioned the FFPLUM actually had/has written on its website that a paramotor flight from your garden up to 1km from your house was/is allowed for this last November lockdown where the list of permitted activities was different to before – Eg beaches and parks remained open.

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 19 Dec 06:28

I don’t think this has been posted here already, but prob90 is of interest as there are several FAA certificated pilots here. Essentially the FAA is extending medicals and some other stuff again due to Covid.

Thanks for posting this (post moved to existing thread). The FAA is helping out people until March 2021, it seems. With a 3rd wave coming after the xmas boozing, they will probably have to do another one after that.

Most (all?) aeroclubs were informed by the FFA that during the 2x lockdowns that flying was specifically not allowed for leisure purposes.

Was that French law or was it guidance? The FFA is not the police, so what authority do they have? And since AIUI private owners are not (can’t be) members…

Does the FFA control the French aeroclub insurance cover? I think @Nestor knows a lot about this.

We have a similar situation here in the UK where “everybody” wants their 6 o’clock covered and won’t do anything until they get a letter from the CAA/DfT, so (obviously…!) the CAA/DfT end up issuing a letter which has the strictest possible interpretation, but is not worth much because it isn’t necessarily supported by law. But airfields use this “advice” to decide whether to open or not, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

Unfair.

My comment and post was made in jest as a general comment. If one posts something incorrect often the correction comes in swiftly. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I think that’s a great thing.

I think though as pointed out above there is a difficulty with the area between what the law states and what various groups interpretations of this are. I fell foul of this in lockdown 1. Where my based airfield decided that it was totally pulling all flying and no out of hours.

There is always some extra difficulty on an international forum in getting people to post negative stuff about their own country, but in this case it is important to post and discuss this, because it helps so many people whose sole information source might otherwise be some aeroclub official. I remember very well what kind of duff info I got from the schools I was at… meeting good people online then changed everything and I never looked back.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The FAA is helping out people until March 2021, it seems. With a 3rd wave coming after the xmas boozing, they will probably have to do another one after that.

Quite possibly, but I expect that to be shorter, say one month. Already this second extension is down to two months from three and with two vaccines now approved in the US the vaccination rate should – hopefully – be sufficient by March / April.

Flights to and from UK are banned in large parts of Europe now. Dover and Eurotunnel closed. UK appears to get totally isolated for now.

It may be too late however, cases have surfaced in Italy, Denmark, Netherlands and elsewhere.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am still looking at doing this and IMHO there is still no issue with landing for fuel.

Of course the idea would be to not need to land anywhere

But yes there is a lot of panic around so one might just get refused unless one declares a mayday. Crazy times!

BTW Eurotunnel isn’t actually closed but that’s for another topic.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Was that French law or was it guidance? The FFA is not the police, so what authority do they have? And since AIUI private owners are not (can’t be) members…

Law – Leaving your house for reasons other than specifically mentioned on the French Govt website was prohibited and you needed to download & sign a permission paper for any allowed activity, it was actually very clear. Thats not to say that Lockdown #2 last month wasnt obeyed and enforced with the classic gallic shrug, unlike the first, during which I was stopped and asked for papers every time I drove anywhere. I have had no need to be out and about at night yet, so I dont know from personal experience how much enforcement of the current curfew is happening.

Peter wrote:

Does the FFA control the French aeroclub insurance cover?

Pilots are insured through the FFA to fly with affiliated aeroclubs, yes. You cant join the FFA unless you are a member of an affiliated Aeroclub. Aeroclub aeroplanes are insured by private insurance companies just like any privately owned aeroplane though.

Regards, SD..

Sign in to add your message