Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

FAA being pressed for another general extension. No evidence that extending medicals had any negative effect (not surprising).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All people arriving by plane in Switzerland now need to have a PCR test. From any country. This rule does not apply if you enter on foot, by car, bus or train.

So if I fly out of the country, I need to do a PCR test before leaving in order to be readmitted a few hours later.

Apart from the hassle, cost and time that it costs to frequently get tested, I’m also not keen on going to some test center, where all the people that think they may be infected go to get a test, and sit there for hours breathing their viruses.

I’m not amused about this senseless rule discriminating only one mode of transportation.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 08 Feb 12:32

Is that even if you do not land abroad?

Administrator

Rwy20 wrote:

Apart from the hassle, cost and time that it costs to frequently get tested, I’m also not keen on going to some test center, where all the people that think they may be infected go to get a test, and sit there for hours breathing their viruses.

Apart, they are not really fun… like someone drilling into your brains.

Rwy20 wrote:

I’m not amused about this senseless rule discriminating only one mode of transportation

The correct new order reads as follows:

- Everyone entering Switzerland needs to fill in an electronic document prior to arrival. Exemption if you enter by car, bicycle or on foot and you have not visited a risk country in the last 10 days prior. (so also per train and bus).
- Anyone wishing to board a flight destination Switzerland must present a valid negative PCR test at check in or be refused transport.
- Additional to the test, anyone arriving in Switzerland from a risk country as per list, needs to observe 10 days of quarantine. If you do another test after 7 days, you may break quarantine thereafter if the new test was negative. If you enter from a risk country or area, you will need a test regardless of the means of transport.
- Anyone entering from another country not on the risk list needs to observe 7 days of quarantine.

I think quite a few countries had that before us, Austria for instance. Either PCR test or 14 days quarantine. Also Germany I think had PCR tests at the airport for quite a while. But if they require it, they should offer it on arrival like other countries do it.

I guess you are right however in as so far as many measures are quite complex, arbitrary and no longer understood by the population. That is what half baked things achieve.

The gist of it is: Don’t travel unless you absolutely have to. And the moniker “STFAH” from spring still is very much a variant to forego all these unpleasant things.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 08 Feb 16:19
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Worth noting that the UK has the 5 day early release quarantine option. This was talked about for months and now it is there, but it may have been available for some time and the press just didn’t pick it up.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is that even if you do not land abroad?

No, this is the relevant part of the ordinance:

The following individuals must provide evidence that they have been tested for Sars-CoV-2 by molecular biology analysis within the last 72 hours and the result of the test was negative:
a. Persons who enter Switzerland and have stayed at any time within 10 days prior to entry in a state or territory with an increased risk of infection;
b. Persons who enter Switzerland by air from a state or territory with no increased risk of infection.

So I guess if you have gone to pay your landing fee somewhere abroad, you fall under this rule, but if you don’t land then you don’t.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 08 Feb 18:44

On another forum someone said that only certain vaccines are authorized/ approved by the FAA… not having the “right” jab could invalidate a medical. As younger people start to be vaccinated how does one make sure to get alegal jab? One’s living could be at stake…

Regards, SD..

Edit: there are alot of N-pilots out there, this may have already come up – anyone here affected?

Last Edited by skydriller at 13 Feb 03:43

FAA has issued statements that both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are approved for pilots. Those are the vaccines accessible to an American pilot in the US now and likely in the near future, so if concerned about an FAA medical certification I’d stick with one of those. A summary is here

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Feb 04:05

Yes; Pfizer and Moderna are approved.

It is interesting that the AZ vaccine doesn’t appear to be.

This suggests AZ will not even apply to the US FDA until April.

I would not worry about it, personally… does the FAA approve every single vaccine given to every N-reg pilot anywhere in the world? I doubt it. Regular drugs are a different matter. Silvaire’s link above has the wording Pilots should not participate in trials of other manufacturers’ COVID vaccines at this time. which may be relevant; the AZ vaccine is approved in Europe.

Administrator

The AZ vaccine is not yet FAA approved.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message