Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Someone from the LAA on their forums made a long post about “how going to the airfield is not 100% safe” and “if you fly you may get the hard won concession” (to do recurrency/engine health flights) “withdrawn

No shortage of such moronic “advice” on the internet

I am still looking for a LAW underpinning this.

All I see is GUIDANCE.

A number of UK airfields are open for land-aways. Names mentioned include Oxford, Gloucester, Shoreham and a few others.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

In the spirit of the EU and Schengen treaties (free movement, solidarity, and all that heart-warming stuff), can’t a Swiss citizen just nip into Germany and ask for an Oxford vaccine?

We currently can’t even cross the border without “a very good reason” and need tests and quarantine to do so…

Swiss TV did show a rather well researched documentary yesterday about the last year and how things went totally wrong. In short, other than Taiwan, who as the only government worldwide reckognized what they were dealing with early in January and took appropriate action, every one else completely and utterly failed to comprehend what was going on until it was way too late. The WHO as well as national governments fled into lies and distortion of information, were whistling in the dark while several experts were screaming murder, but nobody listened.

While official China’s delay was one of the main causes for the WHO to react slow and when they did wrongly, the information was there for all to see. Those who followed up on it, including some German and Italian scientists, were darn right, but nobody took their pubilshed information seriously.

Also it has become clear that this thing started way earlier than expected, probably in September 2019 or even earlier. Traces of the virus has been found in waste water in Italy stemming from fall 2019 and it is also quite possible, that the military games in Wohan in October 2019 already had some infected people spreading this thing in the world.

I suppose there will eventually be a lot of lessons to be learnt from all this. One certainly also concerns the crisis management in Europe in particular, but generally. The WHO has proven totally incapable of a timely response, so either the EU needs to pull their proverbial socks up and get a common and effective pandemic plan going which also can be enforced or, quite possibly, we forget the idea of a united Europe for good and every country does their own thing from day one. This however means to be able to shut borders and to take own control over the procurement of medicines, vaccines e.t.c.

I guess we also have learnt that relying on foreign products for crisis intervention is a deadly mistake. Europe or the individual countries each for themselves need to have capability to store and produce sufficient masks, vaccines e.t.c. in order not to be dependent on others. Likewise I suggest the manufactoring and producing of vaccines has to be guaranteed for each country to be able to self-produce the necessary doses, not that like now, those who pay the highest fee get everything while the rest suffocates in 3-4-5th waves.

For me, the failure of most western countries is total and needs severe consequences for the future. It is totally inacceptable that only countries like Taiwan can actually deal with pandemics while everyone else basically has lost the match on day one. Also China did not too bad apart from initially shutting it up. So we need to learn from them and get the necessary legislation and rulings in place in order to be able to act on the first reports rather than wait until it is too late. Also those in charge should be held personally responsible for their decisions, certainly in this case, almost all western governments are guilty of negligent manslaughter in a couple of million cases and of causing bodily harm to millions others. Those people need to be held accountable, lest it happens again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Does anyone know the current regulations for entry to ITALY from the UK?

Administrator

Most of Italy is in lockdown… so I don’t think it makes a lot of sense going there, even if you can.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Dolomites tourist board says they will open 5th March

On an earlier point, I have not been able to find any law saying it is illegal to travel abroad from the UK. Maybe someone can find it?

Ref1
Ref2

The quarantine is mandatory, but there is an early release option via a test.

Administrator

Italian regulations for the UK still haven’t changed – access from the UK is allowed only for Italian residents or in cases of absolute necessity, subject to negative PCR / antigen test and 14 day quarantine.

T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

On an earlier point, I have not been able to find any law saying it is illegal to travel abroad from the UK. Maybe someone can find it?

The restriction is only reached by the indirect route of the ban on leaving or being away from the home ‘without reasonable excuse’.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

OK, but that one has a list of “permitted activities” which is non exhaustive, so that isn’t “law” in any sense.

It’s the case of the birdwatchers who travelled 200 miles, got picked up by the police, and had to be released because the list of permitted activities has the word “including” in it.

We did this here before in the early days. Unlike some mainland countries, the UK has never done an exhaustive list of permitted activities, not least because such laws are stupid because it will never be possible to list every possible reason.

It will be interesting to watch developments in Croatia and Greece, since those two are working with the UK on vaccine passports. Nobody is talking about this hot topic over here

Administrator

The regulations give a ‘non-exclusive’ list of exceptions which constitute ‘circumstances in which a person has a reasonable excuse’.

The list is non-exclusive because an excuse which is reasonable but not listed will also suffice. Whether or not an excuse is reasonable is a question of fact (ultimately for a court). There are 16 categories of exceptions, that include a mix of broadly drafted circumstances (such as work purposes) right down to the specific (visiting a waste disposal or recycling centre).

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

OK; thanks. That is what I understood. The Q is whether the police have the legal power to stop you (i.e. arrest you) at an airport, on your way to a plane.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message