Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

There is no doubt that using GA you can get out of the UK without getting caught by this new restriction, but they would get you when you come back.

You would have to stay in your Greek villa for 6 months A dreadful fate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There ought to be no restriction on emigrating, should people find a country that will accept them.

So now people wonder whether they can be fined for the act of leaving with the intent to ‘never’ return, if caught in the act.

In the end every form and instance of totalitarian government looks to the same, to those subjected to its ‘logic’.

I have to say, one thing I have been shocked by during the last year is not rules on persons entering so called democratic countries (and I believe the US was one of the first countries to do this – unfortunately not applying the rules to own citizens, so rather pointless as a measure to stop C19 getting in) – that is something any country can inflict upon a person as a condition of entry – but the idea that in a democracy you cant leave.

There ought to be no restriction on emigrating, should people find a country that will accept them.

Agreed. Tell that to Czechoslovakia, 1968-69

I don’t understand the £5k fine, while leaving in the pretty obvious (to anybody who can read) clause re property inspection. It sounds like some temporary measure to keep a lid on an explosion in foreign holidays until the vacc programme is more advanced. It has just had a setback due to India stopping all exports.

Administrator

Never mind, democracy will continue to flourish following what will doubtless be a further extension of Covid regulations after a notional “debate” and vote in parliament today.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Sometimes you really wonder what is behind those kind of shots from the hip. Leaving the UK as per se does not constitute any increased risk unless it is done via mass transport and the procedures common with that, but isn’t that already restricted? If this is intent to stop people to go on the usual forget all caution holidays, for all I know the fine and restriction should be on re-entry, not leaving. It may set a dangerous precedent for people who anyway oppose any and all measures on this subject.

The obvious goal of all this is to keep people if not at their direct home then out of touch with others. To me it looks more and more that the haphazard and often hard to comprehend rules on HOW to achieve that are one reason why the population is less and less inclined to follow them. If they want to stop people travelling, shut down the airports for international flights and be done with it or impose on arrival supervised quarantine, such as Australia and China are doing it. No need to keep anyone from leaving.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

arj1 wrote:

What’s stopping you from doing “Peter trick”? I mean you take off at EGKA, your destination is EGKA.

In theory nothing, at least on a G-reg airplane one could argue that one has never left the juristiction of the UK so it could be claimed that the crew never left the UK, even if it had flown miles and miles elsewhere. On an N-Register obviously that does not work as you theoretically are under US juristiction.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

unless it is done via mass transport and the procedures common with that, but isn’t that already restricted?

It wasn’t by law. Only by guidance. Reportedly, there were police standing at airports, questioning people why they were going, but I have not found any useful info online re whether they physically blocked people going. They had no legal right to block them from travelling abroad. As discussed before above, the only law was the one about needing a reason to leave your house, but that had a potentially infinitely long list of exceptions.

at least on a G-reg airplane one could argue that one has never left the juristiction of the UK so it could be claimed that the crew never left the UK, even if it had flown miles and miles elsewhere. On an N-Register obviously that does not work as you theoretically are under US juristiction.

I don’t think that works. Many years ago if you were born on a US registered plane or a ship, you became a US citizen. Now, this means nothing.

Administrator

You can definitely leave the UK. It’s the coming back they will actually get you for – it’s just poorly drafted legislation. If we’re being pedantic, they get you for leaving when you come back.

Prob100 if you leave and don’t come back they won’t even try to find you, let alone prosecute you.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message