Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

The FAA and UK CAA have already determined that self-declaration of fitness to fly has no adverse consequence for light GA.

Proposal no. 1: that the EASA follows the UK/US lead without delay.

Proposal no. 2: that they all do the same for private licence and owner-operated airworthiness revalidation/renewals. If people can and do exercise common sense regarding medical fitness, let them do the same in relation to their skill and the maintenance of their own aeroplanes…

Is there any evidence that either of these would significantly increase risk to uninvolved third parties?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Before JAR we had no revalidations or renewals. Their introduction resulted in no improvement in safety statistics.

The introduction in 1999 of new revalidation requirements contained within JAR-FCL had no significant effect on the number of serious incidents and accidents involving fixed-wing GA (Single Engine Piston) aircraft for both private pilots and instructors.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2820&filter=3
The Effect of JAR-FCL on General Aviation Safety local copy

Egnm, United Kingdom

I went flying today. No official restrictions as of yet. But another thing might be much more restrictive soon, at least for renters: flight schools might give bankrupt from this crisis. The owner of the one I rent from was really worried. He’ll probably have to shut down on Monday at the latest (everyone expects a lockdown soon). Then what? Fixed costs will keep running, not all of his aircraft are fully paid yet. The employees will get Kurzarbeitergeld but even that costs the owner money…

And while there are no official shutdowns of airfields yet, he also told me that all others in the vicinity save for the big international airports had already closed.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Just read in the newspaper that yesterday, a pilot got a fine (135€) for breaking the lockdown because he flew his plane !
The Air Force radar picked him up, and they called the gendarmes to catch him at the end of his local flight at LFER.

So despite the lack of notam, the message is clear

Great medewok ! I am glad you go time to fly.

What worries me the most is my total lack of proficiency at the end of the lockdown. My last flight was March 3 and the lockdown won’t end before mid-april :(

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 21 Mar 13:27
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Great medewok ! I am glad you go time to fly.

What worries me the most is my total lack of proficiency at the end of the lockdown. My last flight was March 3 and the lockdown won’t end before mid-april :(

I feel for you, jujupilote! I was totally rusty after having missed a total of five planned flights in a row since December, three due to weather and two due to being ill. I have no idea when i’ll get a chance to fly again after today…hopefully within 90 days.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Quite glad my engine is being overhauled at the moment. Probably the best place for it is on a work bench with the local airport closed for at least 10 weeks.

EIMH, Ireland

That is a silver lining indeed, if I ever saw one! Kudos for the positive thinkingm Zuutroy!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Jujupilote wrote:

the lockdown won’t end before mid-april :(

That’s optimistic… noise which comes from our folks here is talking of June/July.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

One friend instructor told me that DGAC is giving a 4 months additional delay for revalidation of class ratings.

LFMD, France

Are they extending medicals too?

That’s perhaps more important, because you can revalidate a class rating with a CRI, of whom there are lots around, but medicals can be harder. Already reports here in the UK of some AMEs closing up.

They should extend class ratings, medicals and the Annual on the aircraft. I expect there to be resistance to the last two because it will deprive some of income.

There is no technical reason against delaying the Annual by say 6 months. Nothing happens specially which needs to be done the same time each year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message