Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Form the time being, we can and do still fly here. As a club we’ve stopped all instruction and mandated that people either fly solo or with family members who they live with. This is in line with the public health guidelines here. As such, I intend to do a local flight next week, perhaps shoot a couple of approaches.

Here there’s been a flurry of announcements of airfields closing. From what I can see a lot of them were “GA watering holes” i.e. in the middle of nowhere and with a popular cafe, and in the current nice sunny wx the UK has seen some big crowds out and about, which is obviously not smart at all. The National Trust quickly closed its gardens etc after getting packed out yesterday. And with cafes closed by law now, these airfields lose much of their income, so it’s hard to stay open.

Perhaps surprisingly, training continues for the time being.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Just read in the newspaper that yesterday, a pilot got a fine (135€) for breaking the lockdown because he flew his plane !
The Air Force radar picked him up, and they called the gendarmes to catch him at the end of his local flight at LFER.
So despite the lack of notam, the message is clear

Thats really sad. An aerodrome in the middle of nowhere in Brittany, what is the risk?
Yet I see private jets and airliners operating out of airports in france on FR24…

The message appears to be “you have to be miserable in your home”

I just hope British Airways won’t shutdown the operations in following days before I leave Mexico

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I just hope British Airways won’t shutdown the operations in following days before I leave Mexico

Me too before I leave the US.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

Perhaps surprisingly, training continues for the time being.

It certainly is continuing in the UK and with no precautions being taken, no cleaning of aircraft or office areas, sharing of headsets. It beggars belief.
One business was openly ignoring Government and NHS advice on the basis that they could not get any cleaning materials. If this practice and attitude continues all airfields will be closed.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Well that’s flying shut down in the UK from this evening. Hopefully the 3-week lock-down just announced will reduce the virus spreading.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Yes indeed; just seen the news.

One could perhaps fly (subject to more detailed guidance, perhaps yet to appear) but one cannot travel to an airport while meeting the already stated requirements.

Here are the major points of Boris’ speech:

• From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” – shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”
  • People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with
  • Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”
  • Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings
  • All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close
  • Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close
  • All gatherings of more than two people in public – excluding people you live with – are banned
  • All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned
  • Funerals are not included in the new restrictions
  • Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed
  • Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”

Glad I got my flight in this morning… a few weeks, with Camguard, should be ok.

Administrator

Quite a jump, they seem to have decided that people just won’t listen.

Also glad I got a flight in and very recently an oil change with camguard.

Germany has announced various extensions – here. Not easy to google translate because they are PDFs.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message