Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Does the extension require a briefing by an instructor ? or nothing ?

Briefing with instructor is required but you can do it remotely and get signed confirmation on completing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Briefing with instructor is required but you can do it remotely and get signed confirmation on completing.

Having just ‘extended’ my BFR under this new dispensation, I report a ‘gotcha’ that may not be apparent to all:
When one gets to November 20, you will then still need to do the I hour flight with an Instructor (provided we are all flying by that point and both you, and the Instructor, are happy to sit close to each other in the plane).
But the point I hadn’t fully appreciated is that the date of that flight is the new starting point for counting back the 12 hours of flight in the last 12 months that are required for ‘renewal’.
After, for some of us, a lean winter of flying + a long non-flying period during the lockdown, some pilots will find it hard to have accumulated those “12 hours in the last 12 months” and therefore will have to do a ‘re-test’.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

You must mean EASA “BFR” not FAA BFR, because the FAA has not made any concessions, other than the “assurance of no prosecution” which is valid in the US only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You must mean EASA “BFR” not FAA BFR,

Correct. I’m intrigued as to what those of us, this side of the pond, who need a FAA.BFR in the next month or so (which includes myself) should actually do – if anything.

If you cannot get an instructor and a plane in the same place without flying, then it seems to me that an expired FAA related flight review would be an issue. Otherwise there is no major issue in deferring it until you want to use the FAA Pilot Certificate. For example if you stopped flying for 20 years you could get it then, and not in between. The FAA maintains no record of your flight review status.

if you stopped flying for 20 years you could get it then, and not in between.

One of the fair aspects of the FAA BFR is that “ no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has— (1) Accomplished a flight review” (FAR §61.56). [This is in contrast to the EASA BFR which lapses immediately after 24 months and requires a ‘re-test’ (not a Review) to allow one to fly.]
Naturally one assumes, and hopes, when the time comes that the Authorities allow GA to operate freely again, CFI’s will be willing to do reviews. But one can foresee a situation whereby solo flying is allowed/encouraged, but some pilots/Instructors would be reluctant to sit too closely together in order to allow a Flight Review to take place.
On the basis that there must be a phenomenal number of FAA pilots outside the USA, I assume I am not alone in trying to foresee a solution.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 25 Apr 17:58

Peter_G wrote:

Correct. I’m intrigued as to what those of us, this side of the pond, who need a FAA.BFR in the next month or so (which includes myself) should actually do – if anything.

There is an expectation that the FAA is going to publish an SFAR before the end of month which would suspend/alter currency requirements, hopefully along the lines of what has been requested in this letter local copy

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney) remain locked down, with no flying at all allowed. The owners are being told to do engine preservation, apparently. Not even engine runs allowed. I am glad I got my wonderful Alderney trip done just in time…

In the meantime, the latest UK CAA guidance (posted further back and interpreted by most UK pilots as law, as usual) of staying within 10nm of the airfield, is having the totally predictable result

This is Kemble airfield, now renamed to Cotswold airfield, EGBP. FR24 showed loads of planes flying in circles around some “watering holes” and if the CAA wanted to really p1ss off the locked-down neighbours, this was a great way to achieve it. It’s not exactly safe, either.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Having just ‘extended’ my BFR under this new dispensation, I report a ‘gotcha’ that may not be apparent to all:
When one gets to November 20, you will then still need to do the I hour flight with an Instructor.

If you are referring to a UK ratings validity extension, this is not correct. The original extension under ORS4 1376 for National licences did include such a requirement, but this extension has now been revoked and replaced by ORS4 1378 which removed the requirement for an instructor flight.
The extension under ORS4 1374 for FCL licences and ratings has never had any such requirement

Edit. My apologies I’ve just re-read the OP. The above only applies to the requirement for an instructor flight before the new rating expiry date not afterwards!

Last Edited by flybymike at 25 Apr 22:25
Egnm, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Naturally one assumes, and hopes, when the time comes that the Authorities allow GA to operate freely again, CFI’s will be willing to do reviews.

wbardorf wrote:

There is an expectation that the FAA is going to publish an SFAR before the end of month which would suspend/alter currency requirements

I went flying today and in my US area the temperature on the ground was about 34 C, skies blue, and airspace packed with planes. I was weaving and dodging to avoid ADS-B traffic and I’d call it a busier than normal day. Listening on air-to-air (122.75 in the US) there was training going on, simulated forced landings, maneuvers etc.

We went as a flight of three planes today, one pilot per plane with just one live-in lady passenger in one plane. One of our usual lunch spots was serving – outside only, “flight crew only beyond this point” only, picnic tables appropriately spaced. It worked fine. We actually ate on portable chairs under the wing of a C180, having brought them with us we wanted to use them!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Apr 03:02
Sign in to add your message