Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low wing versus high wing

Someone has just made the astonishing discovery that we have never had this discussion

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actual quotes from members of the public (or family)

Cessna: “Like strapping on an umbrella”
Piper: “Ooh, it’s just like a real aeroplane”

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

I never really got the choice in my clubs.
I prefer high wings but it is completely unrational. I like the easier cabin access, better views of the ground and sun/rain protection. And also because I dreamt to fly like Aviation101

To cross any body of water, I can only imagine a low wing though. Low wings are much more diverse and so unequal. I loved the DA40 and APM20, for different reasons. The Cirrus appeals me more than a PA28. My dream plane is now the RV10, so definitely a low wing.
The bonanza looks more accomplished to the 210 to me.
The question can’t be solved. There are no plane in high wing/ low wing versions (maybe the tecnam?). They all offer a different package.

LFOU, France

High wing is more practical.
Low wing looks cooler.

ESSZ, Sweden

Low wings tend to be more likely to clip obstacles such as fences, small bales, tall grass, sheep, etc. More tricky to get some shade from the sun or rain under too.

They do tend to look speedier though

Low wing is better for ditching

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Learned to fly on Pipers, most flying since in Cessnas. Prefer high wing by a long stretch simply for ease of in/egress and views. I’m simply not a fan of clamboring up on the wing of an SEP. To me, low-wing starts to make sense from twins up. That said, I’m just about to embark on my multi training in a high wing! Tecnam P2006 in case you’re wondering.

If it has an inverted fuel & oil system who cares where the wings sits?

Jujupilote wrote:

To cross any body of water, I can only imagine a low wing though

While the physics on that make sense, statistically on ditching accidents you can’t infer any meaningful reasons for HW vs LW wing, nor for RG vs FG
On RG vs FG, ditch impact (speed^2/distance) is the same for (fast) RG vs (slow) FG, any distance benefit from gear up is killed by increase in stall speed
On HW vs LW, I have no clue but maybe LW are statistically faster and less draggy than HW?

Now to get out and stay alive, the challenge will be same for the average GA gladiators

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

After 3 low wing aircrafts I love my high wing Cardinal. Enter it like a SUV, good and unobstructed visibility to the ground. And the best, my Dobermann jumps into the aircraft. Can‘t imagine to carry him above the wing.

EDWF, Germany

I asked that very question of my GFT examiner many decades ago and after a few puffs on his pipe and few more seconds to ponder he said “I have not seen many low wing birds flying!”
I have has Cessna aircraft ever since.

UK, United Kingdom
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message