Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Emir wrote:

I’m clueless about floods and about forest fires although I live in area where both are possible but one can hardly do anything alone if disaster happens. However, I gladly delegate risk management about both to government because the only thing I could do about that is to move to some other country.

I don’t believe that all of Croatia is universally vulnerable to floods or forest fires. You can choose where in Croatia you live, and this is the primary tool for managing your risk in relation to both.

I don’t know about the Croatian government, but successive UK governments have shown themselves to be demonstrably poor at protecting citizens from flooding. As @Silvaire alludes to above, houses are built on unsuitable terrain because the decisions are made by people other than the homeowners who will eventually have to live with the risk, and I don’t doubt this is the same in many countries.

The likelihood of either flood or fire affecting me is very low, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about it. My property is on a gentle slope with the house at the bottom of the plot, and I have considered what I would do, in terms of emergency groundworks, to divert water in case I was faced with some inexplicable escape of water at the top of my property. It isn’t going to happen because it’s near the top of the hill and there are no watercourses, piped water mains, other houses or anything else that could lead to it up there, but I still have a loose idea of what I’ll do if faced with a deluge. Similarly the top end of my property is wooded, but beyond my boundary it is cultivated farmland. If it were abutted by extensive dry woodland and I perceived a risk of fire (direction of prevailing wind, etc.) I would fell trees at the end of my property to create a firebreak. I am not devolving the management of these risks to anyone else, least of all government. They neither know nor care what my particular risks are. To use your term, I absolutely am my own main risk manager.

Conversely, a house in our village about 1/4 mile away was bought a couple of years ago by a man who evidently took zero interest in managing such risks for himself. It is obvious to me, upon about 30 seconds of examination, that the plot and the house are highly susceptible to rainwater run-off from a 15 acre field immediately above it where the ground all slopes naturally towards the plot and the soil is mostly clay. The plot is not large and perhaps a weekend with a 1-ton digger would have seen easy construction of ditches, drains and dwarf walls to ensure run-off bypassed the house and made its way to the storm drains on the public road. Obviously he didn’t do this, and about six months after he moved in we had two weeks of exceptionally heavy rain. His ground floors were knee deep in water and they eventually had to move out while the house was properly dried out. Work is still ongoing and they’re not back in yet, but amazingly none of the work I see going on there relates to drainage. Perhaps he trusts the government to protect him from flooding? Whoever to entrusts it to, it isn’t himself. Prob99 he was insured and the costs are covered, but the hassle is enormous and he won’t be able to get insurance for it again – at least not at any sensible price.

Last Edited by Graham at 08 Nov 16:24
EGLM & EGTN

My “false” sense of freedom was increased yesterday by driving to my hangar, shared with no one, taking off in my plane that cost six weeks gross income, climbing to 9500 ft over mountains and then landing on the other side to join friends in 30 C sunshine, they having flown their three different varieties of FAA Experimental homebuilt aircraft to the same spot. I made the flight through the approach corridor to the local commercial airport without any flight plan nor talking to anybody on the radio after receiving initial take off clearance from my busy base of ~600 based planes. I bought self serve AVGAS there for €1 per liter and flew home when I felt like it, without telling anyone when that would be. That’s real enough for me

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Nov 17:06

My “false” sense of freedom was increased yesterday by driving to my hangar, shared with no one, taking off in my plane that cost six weeks gross income, climbing to 9500 ft over mountains and then landing on the other side to join friends in 30 C sunshine, they having flown their three different varieties of FAA Experimental homebuilt aircraft to the same spot. I made the flight through the approach corridor to the local commercial airport without any flight plan nor talking to anybody on the radio after receiving initial take off clearance from my busy base of ~600 based planes. I bought self serve AVGAS there for €1 per liter and flew home when I felt it, without telling anyone when that would be. That’s real enough for me.

I’m lucky I’ve managed to ensure similar conditions for myself here but there are few things out of my reach like flight plans, homebuilt regulations, number of aircrafts in Croatia or avgas price (which BTW I don’t use).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

“The subject of vaccines came up and we all still had that funny shaped scar that came from, now I may be wrong, it’s a long time ago, the tuberculosis jab.”
Wrong. It’s the smallpox. Probably given as a baby, so you don’t remember. It was compulsory in the UK, unless baby was weak.
I missed it and got it at 21, when there was an outbreak in Glasgow.
Doctors usually gave it on upper arm, but for girls on upper thigh, where scar would never be seen. Then the 60s came. :-)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Intersting statement from Frank Ulrich Montgomery, the chairman of the World Medical Association and several other highly regarded organisation in a German talk show.

Momentan erleben wir eine Tyrannei der Ungeimpften, die über das Zwei-Drittel der Geimpften bestimmen. Und uns die ganzen Massnahmen aufoktroyieren. (At this moment, we are experiencing a tyranny by the non-vaccinated, who are ruling over a 2/3rd majority of vaccinated people and who are imposing the need for measures onto us (my translation)

I think he has got a point. Those who are shouting tyranny are in fact exercising it over those who wish to cooperate in the effort to migate the effects of this pandemic.

The situation regarding the conflict between anti-vaxxers and measure critics and those who wish to put the pandemic behind them by complying to the recommendations of the medical community and measures thus imposed by governments is escalating big time. I am also noticing that talking to people about this is getting dagerous, as most have chosen their “religion” and will not budge but rather get agressive if being addressed, up to the point of threatening violence. This is particularly dangerous now, as the lines between those groups also include large ethnic groups such as people from the Balkans, who, in one interview recently hinted it “was time that they organize themselfs as an independent force within the country to avoid being tyrannized by the others”. Such kind of rifts may well result in civil unrest or even worse.

Interestingly, countries who have now started to impose 2G rules (Only vaccinated or recovered are allowed) and basically lock down those unvaccinated, are seeing a massive surge of vaccinations. Maybe this is the only way to counter a massive new wave, even though it is already too late.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Wrong. It’s the smallpox. Probably given as a baby, so you don’t remember. It was compulsory in the UK, unless baby was weak.

Could have been referring to a Heaf test.

Last Edited by kwlf at 09 Nov 08:44

I think smallpox might be more likely, not that I have ever heard of a Heaf test. Unless it was the one with half a dozen small needles in a circle which they looked at a week later to see if any of them had created a reaction. In which case ot could be.

France

Silvaire wrote:

My “false” sense of freedom was increased yesterday by driving to my hangar, shared with no one

I can do that too. Well, except the 1EUR/l fuel.

Andreas IOM

Maoraigh wrote:

“The subject of vaccines came up and we all still had that funny shaped scar that came from, now I may be wrong, it’s a long time ago, the tuberculosis jab.”
Wrong. It’s the smallpox.

Quite likely TB. Here lots of people have these scars and we all got subjected to TB-tests, those who did not have antibodies got jabbed. It was compulsory then, like all other vaccinations for kids, lined up in school and done. Parents who did not allow it had to say so explicitly and their kids were isolated in case any danger turned up.

Thankfully we had no social media at the time so people could not spread their FUD about vaccinations to a broad audience.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

gallois wrote:

I think smallpox might be more likely,

Right – in the 70ies and 80ies the smallpox vaccination has not been delivered with needles but by cutting the skin dripping in the agent.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Intersting statement

“Tyranny of (voluntarily) unvaccinated” is rapidly getting a common term in Germany that has been picked up by many commentators. Also internationally there are some interesting papers upcoming on the true death toll of Covid (correcting the initial raw data in both ways by eliminating deaths attributed of Covid for people who would have died anyways but also the indirect deaths due to delayed cancer surgeries while ICUs have been full, etc.).

The best way to handle this would obviously be to deny medical treatment for those Covid-patients that are voluntarily non vaccinated – but at least at this point in time there is not yet a broad support for this in the population.

Germany
Sign in to add your message