Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Snoopy wrote:

EU → US travel ban… I probably just lost my job.

Excepting the UK? The one country in Europe that has health care on a par with sub-Sahara Africa? What a sick joke.

PSA: hope not. Snoopy, I still got the airplane ;-))

172driver wrote:

Excepting the UK?

And legal US residents.

Be careful what you ask for… it might just happen.

kwlf wrote:

Trump compares COVID-19 to the ‘flu – a comparative pussycat of a disease.

No longer. All travel between Europe and US is suspended for 30 days, excluding the UK. Greencard holders and citizens may still enter from everywhere.

It appears to go in the direction of a total travel ban.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Mar 03:23
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

For Schengen citizens hopefully it’ll be a relatively short period of disruption – especially since we have EU citizen visitors planned all summer! I think in the meantime the issue for American residents will likely be a significant cutback in commercial airline flights.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Mar 03:44

I was flying on Tuesday from Frankfurt to Cancun with Condor. No antibacterial wipes were given to passengers before the meal. Toilets in the plane were pretty dirty and only ordinary soap was available. Out of 20 people around me none cared to wash the hands before eating; none of them went to toilet to wash the hands and none of them pulled out some antibacterial liquid or gel or wipe. When the meal was served, no-one in my part of the plane (approximately 100 people) went to toilet to wash the hands. I can’t say if they somehow disinfected hands but I’m sure these 20 around me didn’t. So obviously none of these people took it seriously and the airliner didn’t take any measure to promote such simple stuff as cleaning the hands before eating. It’s sad that we’re discussing shutting down whole economies of some countries and yet authorities don’t mandate airliners to support increasing hygiene level.

Last Edited by Emir at 12 Mar 03:59
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Well the US just banned travel from Europe (not including the UK). Guess I won’t be going to visit my family in april.

Might be a little dark for some but I wonder about the possible long term positive effects of widespread infection of people of retirement age. Could this possibly/temporarily bring state pension systems away from insolvency by reducing some of the burden?

Last Edited by Cttime at 12 Mar 05:59
Sweden

The airline business has already grind to a halt more or less, but it’s mostly due to non essential travels being stopped. Things are slowing down, but pragmatism will prevail in the end IMO

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

As much as I admire the US way of life, I can’t understand your reaction Silvaire. MD is right, we should all be very cautious. I wish France was under lockdown too, it would be a matter of weeks, and a lot of people would not catch it. They wait until some threshold of deaths to do ut but it is crazy. The earlier we stop it, the less damage it will do.

Thanks a lot to kwlf and Medewok to help us understand the actual situation, beside the reassuring speeches of our politicians.

Read the 1918 flu page on wiki. It is weird to be like reading the future

And yes, Tom Clancy had an epidemic hit the US. It is in Executive Orders.

LFOU, France

Emir wrote:

So obviously none of these people took it seriously and the airliner didn’t take any measure to promote such simple stuff as cleaning the hands before eating.

You might want to watch the video below at 8:00 and 44:15.

LPFR, Poland

Can I suggest that after watching that, have a look at this……you honestly could not make this up. Take care out there

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message