Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Cobalt wrote:

why? Is it getting better in Norway?

The plan was to hold all schools closed at least to Mars 26. That still stands. It’s more a matter of how to open them again. Gradually or all at once. The virus is still spreading, but slowly, and at some point the closing of schools has no effect anymore. I guess?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A proven way to contain the virus (new cases in China are only imported ones now):

Belgium

Ibra wrote:

In small country, yes a strict shutdown would surely work, the real question how long?

The real question is when should it be or have been imposed. And no, it can’t work for too long. As I understand it, that is also not the goal. They are trying to buy themselves time to get ready for when the restrictions get gradually lifted. If I understand it correctly that is also what happened in Wuhan. It is all about the health system being able to care for those in need of treatment, which means capacity needs to be created to make sure nobody in need of help needs to be turned away. ¨

For larger countries, they can always be broken down into states(US) or districts. There is no point in e.g shutting down all of the US in such a case but to focus on focal centers and their surrounding area. That actually is what Europe tried to do, it did not really work that well however.

What I am told is that the huge problem with this virus is its incubation period throughout which people are already contageous. That is why e.g. Italy was caught out and also others. When cases started to appear, the virus was already actively spreading for 20 days..

@Medewok and the other docs here, one question: It has been claimed here by our authorities that small children are not only safe in terms of symthoms and actual illness, they actually also are much harder to be infected? Does that correspond to what you are hearing? There is a big debate why playgrounds remain open as long as no groups larger than 5-6 kids gather and parents observe social distance, similarily the child day care centers are kept open as they are deemed very low risk. I was told today, that the risk to get infected there is a huge factor smaller than e.g doing your essential shopping… Any comments?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Isn’t China’s proven way to just not test, or fiddle the figures?

If only they’d not had that massive sharing food festival when they knew it was about. or let 5+ million out of Wuhan.

Please keep left/right politics, and “world domination” conspiracy theories, out of this thread as much as possible

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Mr Kurz appears to show real leadership.

What does “real leadership” mean to you?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Is it correct he took decisive action early placing economic consequences as secondary?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

@Medewok and the other docs here, one question: It has been claimed here by our authorities that small children are not only safe in terms of symthoms and actual illness, they actually also are much harder to be infected? Does that correspond to what you are hearing? There is a big debate why playgrounds remain open as long as no groups larger than 5-6 kids gather and parents observe social distance, similarily the child day care centers are kept open as they are deemed very low risk. I was told today, that the risk to get infected there is a huge factor smaller than e.g doing your essential shopping… Any comments?

This does not correspond with what I’ve been hearing, on the contrary. Children can be easily infected (this makes sense, their immune system is not fully developed yet) and can easily spread the disease further. They themselves seem to be less likely to fall seriously Ill though. Everyone who has children in kindergarten knows this effect: the children get a new infection, are ill for a day or two, then they play like before. Meanwhile, you as a parent got infected and feel completely kaputt for at least a week…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Negative. Austrian officials reacted quite late. Icelandic and Scandinavian authorities warned on 05MAR20 that lots of infected are coming home from Tyrol. Nothing happened for 8 days…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Question for the docs: It’s been said that the antibodies that the immune system produces to fight off covid-19 are similar to the antibodies produced to fight off the common flu virus strains. Does this mean that a flu vaccine “trains” the immune system and therefore has a better chance fighting off the covid-19?

United States
Sign in to add your message