Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The longer people start asking stupid questions and not comply to what the doctors, who in fact run this thing, tell them, the longer this will take. The longer this will take, the more horriffic the fallout will be.

This.

x100.

Peter wrote:

I can’t see the medical reason for closing beaches and country paths.

There is none. But the French, typically, heard Macron say “work from home if you can” but understood “you’re all on holiday starting now”. Hence some desperate back-pedalling today (via regional prefects etc.) to specify that yes, people who cannot work remotely (e.g. construction jobs) should go to work. That in turn is being seen as a class warfare issue: “white collar workers are Skyping from their vacation homes while drinking Nespressos, and blue collars are supposed to be outside and deliver their groceries”.

EGTF, LFTF

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

It’s all a question of the way different cultures react to “rules”. Here in my corner of the US (San Francisco suburbs, Mountain View to be exact) people are being incredibly respectful of the “social distancing” rules. It’s OK, even encouraged, to get out for a walk. I plan to ride my bicycle this afternoon, since it has finally stopped raining. People cross the street to avoid each other – smiling and waving, but from a distance. There is still a bit of a shopping frenzy, so they say – we have so far been able to avoid supermarkets, post “shelter in place”.

In France, it’s different. It’s practically a national duty to find a way round the rules. So they have to impose a much more strict lockdown.

The UK shopping frenzy is a bit of a mystery. I think the Brits just like queueing so much they will deliberately expose themselves to danger just for the pleasure of standing in a queue.

(I speak as a US resident with UK and French nationality).

LFMD, France

I’m guessing it doesn’t apply to the suburbs, but I understand that San Fransico has a huge homlessness problem and problems with public defecation. I’d have thought this wouldn’t help with the China bug.

Is this even thought of as an issue?

Silvaire wrote:

Democracy in my world means the right to elect a government that must operate within a constitution, the existence of three branches of government to control totalitarian impulses, and ultimately the responsibility to remove (by force if necessary) a government that violates the constitution.

Sometimes I think that you are under the impression that having a constitution or three branches of government is something unique, or even uncommon.

Peter wrote:

I can’t see the medical reason for closing beaches and country paths.

I would suspect it’s to do with social distancing. As more people here stay home and business close, many of the popular areas of tourist attraction type parks, are looking like peak tourist season! So instead of people being at work, they are gathering at these locations. Presumably the same problem is happening in France with the beaches and (popular) country paths being over crowed and it not being possible to socially distance.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’m personally very careful about the wording in what I write, but I think sometimes regardless of what’s written, or by whom, people don’t read as carefully as they might. I generally mean what I write, as written.

I’m looking forward to this weekend, perhaps some flying on Saturday if the weather is as forecasted, and some motorcycling on Sunday. That you can take that too to be exactly as written.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Mar 19:22

I think the unique part of the states is the importance of freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. It makes it more difficult for a government to ride roughshod over them.

San Francisco has some unique issues because of the homeless population. They are trying to move homeless people into shelters but of course you can kiss goodbye (from 6 feet or more of course) to social distancing under those circumstances, so that’s not without its issues and controversies.

LFMD, France

A few days ago Iceland had tested over 1% of the non-ill population for Covid-19. The testing was voluntary, but gave data about the spread. Testing is continuing.
There may be another threat: it’s reported sales of landed fish are so poor fishing boats are not going back to sea. An interruption of the food supply chain at that level will have serious consequences later.
Maybe the hoarders are the wise ones.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message