Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Off_Field wrote:

I seem to recall that during the london riots (2011?) news and social media supressed reporting of what was going on.

Whilst I hate the idea of forcibly restricting it, I can’t help but think it would be a great idea if the media (in the UK at least) agreed not to report on panic buying. People only do it because they hear others are doing it.

EGLM & EGTN

I do see the argument for doing so and it may be beneficial provided the power was used appropiately.

For me it is just so potentially massively dangerous (like the way china uses the media) to operate these sort of controls even if they start small and well intentioned.

Off_Field wrote:

I understand that if you mention eric ciaramella on youtube or facebook it gets automatically removed.

I just tested on Facebook (twice), and I can confirm that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

His explanation of what the authorities are trying to achieve (deliberately letting the virus spread until the health care system reaches its limit and then stopping the spread) does not at all agree with my understanding.

PS. And of course it is ludicrous to think that you could control the virus spread in that way.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

On the panic buying thing….For sure I have seen some obvious panic buying on the telly, BUT…

It is noticeable that in the UK an awful lot of people eat out and eat take-away, especially at work, additionally kids eat at school. I also remember last year visiting the UK, that if you go to a supermarket later in the day in the UK there is generally a lack of stuff on the shelves, replenished for the next day overnight. It has been widely reported that alot of sandwich shops/coffee shops/restaurants etc are not getting customers and are closing.
Could alot of the pics of empty shelves be down to those that would usually eat out suddenly having to go to the supermarket to buy food they wouldnt normally buy, which the supermarkets are not set up to deal with? Additionally, whole families now eating 3 squares a day they didnt used to eat together etc.

As an example of this, my 2x kids live with my ex-wife. when they visit for a week my shopping quadruples during that time because we all eat together and eat “properly”.

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 23 Mar 13:05

Qalupalik wrote:

Boyd, O. (21 Mar 2020). Why is Japan still a coronavirus outlier? The Japan Times. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2020/03/21/commentary/japan-commentary/japan-still-coronavirus-outlier/#.XniBvcqnxOl

That’s a good find.

Finally we are getting something resembling “data” on the patient profile. This is from the Daily Trash and I am posting a screenshot because the site is absolutely covered in horrid adverts

I don’t how how to find that report online.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just came across this excellent article:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

This pulls everything together. Current knowledge about the disease itself, how it spreads, current trends, potential actions by politicians and private individuals and possible outcomes.

I fully agree with the article. The aim should be to reduce R to a very low number ASAP (R < 0.3 or something like that) to halt the spread right now. In the long run, we need to apply measures to keep R<1. Although much of the predictive data is still guesswork, at least it gives people the reasons behind the combination of measures that are taken. And that makes it more likely that people will follow them.

That figure does not surprise me in the slightest. If I hear the phrase, ‘with underlying health problems’, again I may scream.

To get a true analysis you require to test. Without testing we do not know how many have contracted. Without knowing how many have the virus then we are only recording daily deaths and linking quantities of these to CoronaVirus. Then to break further down, how many would have suffered/died anyways.

The Lock Down strategy as favoured by those who were elected to lead us will take us down an extremely dangerous path. The total collapse of the western world’s economy appears to me to be a high price to pay for allowing critically ill, obese and immune system compromised individuals the chance for life. Chances are these poor souls would pass regardless.

Gather the experts around us because they know best………

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

My hospital currently has three Covid-19 patients, two on the ICU and one was moved to a “normal” isolation ward today, meaning he is recovering. We have the capacity to treat hundreds of additional patients. We feel well prepared!

Last Edited by MedEwok at 23 Mar 16:33
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message