Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

hmng wrote:

What is clear to me is that China locked people in their homes, and now every country is doing it because everybody else is doing it.

Sweden is not, and we don’t seem to be in a worse situation than comparable countries who have lockdowns. It is “interesting” and time will tell.

Note: This is not a question of “weak leadership” or “fear of action”. Our authorities have been very clear all the time and are following a consistent line of action. Of course, some people will see anything short of swift and drastic action as “weak leadership”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

esteban wrote:

complaining what the others should have done is not helpful.

Learning from history is important so we are not doomed to repeat it. I agree we cannot control China, but perhaps we could bring manufacturing of medicines and vital supplies back to more known less dishonest places.

At the moment China is trying to re-write history and the story again and shift the blame. I find this deeply concerning. The fact that such a thing seems to be made of calling the disease by the area it came from just boggles my mind. Much as they seem to get a lot of praise for their organ transplant advances, but very few seem to question how they are able to find and source suitable donors so incredibly quickly.

I do agree with your point that we should also be looking at what we can control and what actions were or are reasonable. It seems to be that the countries that suffered badly with SARS (outside of the CCP) seem to have performed relatively well, perhaps learning and understanding better the risks and what actions needed to be taken quickly.

Off_Field wrote:

I agree we cannot control China

Probably not, although with what we know I think we should stop the trade in rare animals and their animal markets.

The answer is it stops, or we cut you off.

I think they might comply without too much fuss, even though I know they hate being told what to do.

Airborne_Again wrote:

What is “lung crystallisation”? When I google it, it seems to be a synonym for, or symptom of, silicosis. But it can’t be that in this context, so what is it?

I’m not entirely sure, but then that isn’t really my point. My point is how a contextual statement about a technical matter from someone knowledgeable can be reproduced out of context and in a general manner by a journalist to create an incredibly dramatic-sounding statement. So yes they did say that, but they didn’t mean what you’re suggesting they meant.

EGLM & EGTN

It would be useful to know whether this permanent lung damage which has been so often reported in the media, is actually real. It would have a dramatic impact on anyone who has to get an aviation medical…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It would be useful to know whether this permanent lung damage which has been so often reported in the media, is actually real. It would have a dramatic impact on anyone who has to get an aviation medical…

I agree that knowing this would be useful, but frankly, we don’t really know yet.

While browsing for this on Google Scholar, I noticed an article about permanent lung damage from Adenovirus, which is a pretty bog standard virus causing a cold. Imho pretty much every respiratory virus can cause some form of permanent lung damage, but very few actually do this regularly.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 25 Mar 12:09
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Off_Field wrote:

Learning from history is important so we are not doomed to repeat it. I agree we cannot control China, but perhaps we could bring manufacturing of medicines and vital supplies back to more known less dishonest places.

Total agreement on all points. And not only medicines and vital supplies.

At the moment China is trying to re-write history and the story again and shift the blame. I find this deeply concerning.

I am not 100% sure what are you talking about here. Nevertheless, the stance ‘China should have stopped it early so that we don’t need to do anything’ is deeply flawed. If anything, the west had the early warning the China did not have … and still screwed the pooch. This could have came from anywhere, without warning and convenient excuses – in such case, the result would have been even worse. The China is right blaming the west for not taking the care of themselves (and in doing so endangering them with backflow) – just imagine doing all that hard work, and all for naught. I greatly fear they will use this to ram down the throat of their citizens (and the whole world) how much better than the west they are. And there will be a grain of truth in that. :-(

The fact that such a thing seems to be made of calling the disease by the area it came from just boggles my mind.

Hm, its not the totalitarian regimes (there everybody knows the party is lying) but the west that has greatly advanced the art of subliminal brainwashing (thank your marketers and political campaign managers for that). Chinese are learning fast …

I do agree with your point that we should also be looking at what we can control and what actions were or are reasonable. It seems to be that the countries that suffered badly with SARS (outside of the CCP) seem to have performed relatively well, perhaps learning and understanding better the risks and what actions needed to be taken quickly.

Valid observation.

Hm, lets take a positive view: COVID-19 will be for the west/whole world what was SARS for asian countries … so when the true plague (with 30-60% mortality rate) hits, the world will be ready.

Last Edited by esteban at 25 Mar 12:16
Slovakia

Prince Charles has got it

I bet he got tested damn fast No shortage of test kits there.

Thankfully there is no shortage of people seeing the funny side of anything:

Administrator

Also letting prisoners out because the system is breaking and they cannot self isolate.

So arrest those innocents members of the public out for a short walk, release those inside prison for a longer walk….

They did that in Libya with some subsequent issues for the population…

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 25 Mar 12:47
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Constructed this simple UV steriliser

A 25W UVC tube. They come in two types, with and without ozone. I bought the wrong one and the others all come from China so not on a short lead time. The ones which make ozone will work much better because you can leave the item inside the box for a long time after the lamp has been turned off. The transformer is there because all those I could get were 115V.

Next step is to line the whole inside of the box with the aluminium foil so the nasty stuff reflects all around the inside.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message