Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Tests would appear to suggest not. Cats can.

Another point to the vast superiority of dogs !!

loco wrote:

I’m not sure I would put Italy and China in the same bucket. China did a great job containing the outbreak

I would rather say: China did a great job in stopping the information

Just seen on the news:

30% die at home. And this is the UK, where nobody was locked up at home. I wonder how many China had. Probably lots.

Another thing is that the new 4000-bed hospital may only get 10% used. This is partly because it has become apparent that the numbers that need intensive care are not as big as expected, and partly because it is possible to access who is not likely to survive ventilation so there is no point in doing it for them. So I wonder where the German report of an impending UK crisis came from.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So Germany, Norway, Denmark, Czech, Austria are all starting to relax their measures and Sweden never brought them in. Things starting to look up a little?

EIMH, Ireland

Silvaire wrote:

I haven’t yet canceled reservations to Corsica and Italy (by road) in mid-late June as it appears to me based on current predictions that normalcy may be returning by then, just. We’ll see.

I’d be rather concerned about conditions in the US by then… seeing what’s going on, I doubt that even if Europe should return to a semblance of normalty by then, they will not be crazy enough to let Americans in without quarantaine. Italy will not be back to normal for years to come, rather than months, even though they now have managed to reduce their numbers from sheer mayhem to just horrible. Also I would not dick around there… I have friends living way south of the crisis area who can’t even go walk their dog now, it is that much locked down.

Austria now is announcing to re-open certain businesses after Easter. BG and Serbia apparently have a total lockdown in place now and have shut down their borders totally to prevent them from bringing the virus in over Easter. Very wise action imho, their figures are pretty impressively low for now.

Planning trips this year is a waste of time. If they can get vaccines going by the end of this year we’ll be happy to have the borders open for people who are vaccined maybe this time next year.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 06 Apr 19:19
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Planning trips this year is a waste of time. If they can get vaccines going by the end of this year we’ll be happy to have the borders open for people who are vaccined maybe this time next year.

Borders will have to be open well before then. Maybe not June for a non-European but most of Europe is expected to peak in the next few weeks. Once that happens more will gradually ease restrictions.

EGTK Oxford

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I’d be rather concerned about conditions in the US by then

You may have seen these projections

We have two groups of people from Europe planning to visit us here in the US in mid-summer and I think it’ll probably work out. Locally there is little going on now, and by mid-May or whenever the paranoia will end as the fatality rate sinks to zero. People are easily alarmed but have short memories.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Apr 19:45

There are videos and reports about trucks transporting and offloading thousands of caskets coming from the crematoria. Estimates are of course a dime a dozen, but from what I hear from my Chinese friends, there have been at least 40.000 dead in the Hubei province alone.

Behind closed doors they don’t call it Corona. They call it CCP virus.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I still don’t have a clear idea as to what the strategy will be when the current outbreak is in check and I don’t think anyone else does either. The population will still likely be vulnerable to further outbreaks so it will be a long while before any country returns to normality. By all means plan for trips and visits, but expect to lose any deposits!

The Prime Minister of the UK has just been taken into intensive care. Quite what they are doing for him there is not clear, but it is not a good sign. Even if he survives, his chances of being well enough to lead the country again are not high.

Last Edited by kwlf at 06 Apr 22:15

It’s really totally horrible news.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message