Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

3% is in line with what looks like 1% for the UK as a whole.

One would very much expect a higher % in a big city.

Not 50% for a whole country, as some are claiming on social media, usually followed by “and therefore we need to let the oldies die so we can get back to normality”

I found the LA one here and it says 4.1%.

A summary of both is e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The LA and Stanford studies produced similar results. The Stanford one was laced with caveats because the subjects were self selected – and within minutes by the way. I tried to sign up for it, since one of the testing stations was less than a mile away and I firmly believe in serological testing. But I was too late.

But then there was a study in Lombardy which showed much higher rates. And the mythical Telluride one which allegedly showed <1%. So who knows.

There is also something (don’t have the reference) that showed that there is a significant number of people who have recovered but test negative. Could be the tests don’t work, or that somehow the innate (non-adaptive) part of the immune system deals with it. My virologist brother tells me that’s highly unlikely, but then so are a lot of other things that happen.

There’s no evidence that the virus DOES survive and get transmitted through trolleys. There’s evidence it COULD. That’s one of the frustrating things, given any well researched “fact”, you can easily find an equally well-researched counter-fact. But who in their right mind isn’t either wearing gloves, or wiping the trolley handle, or both? At the supermarkets here they have a guy outside who wipes the handle before letting you touch it.

As for the media… hopeless. My wife and I have both given up even looking at anything with the C. word in the title – which is practically everything. 10M dead in an earthquake in Iforgetistan – a short paragraph on page 34. Someone’s Aunt Nelly tragically dead at 94 – front page headlines.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

One would very much expect a higher % in a big city.

Don’t forget that while L.A. is a big city, it’s essentially an agglomeration of suburbs. Nothing like London or any other European city. Much lower population density. Btw, he study here showed a range of about 2.3 to 4 , so around 3 is probably about right.

There’s no evidence that the virus DOES survive and get transmitted through trolleys.

Researchers have put it onto surfaces and tested to see if it is viable after some time, apparently.

What nobody has done is got people to touch it and stick the finger up their nose, and repeat that for 100 people who have been living in isolation for past 3 weeks and who will continue in isolation for next 3 weeks

There are assertions that the stuff is not capable of infecting somebody after much less time than the ~ few days, but nobody really knows, so one has to assume it can do.

I’ve built a couple more UV+ozone sterilisers, with the 36 watt tubes One for my office manageress to take home, and one for the office where we already had a small £40 one (used by tatoo salons etc) for the mail.

Administrator

Der Spiegel reported today that the University of Eppendorf (Hamburg) performed a forensic examination of 65 dead bodies who officially died from Covid-19. All of them had comorbidities. 61 were found to have indeed died from the virus while the remaining four have died with it but the actual cause of death was something else.

Arterial Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease, prior lung or other organ damage were commonly found. Some patients had had organ transplants.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Who in the 1st World doesn’t have CHD?

Even in the Vietnam War, port mortems found significant blockages among 20 year old US soldiers, while not among the Vietnamese who ate just veg. Angina may not occur until the blockage reaches 90%, among people who just sit around.

Administrator

A week ago result from measurements done by the blood bank in The Netherlands was published. 3% had antibodies out of 4000 samples measured in the first 2 weeks of April. Blood donors cannot donate unless they are symptom-free for 2 weeks, so this result would relate to the situation in March. This is an ongoing measurement so new results to become available soon. Obviously they expect higher numbers.

What a challenge we are all in to lift restrictions when you can only measure the results (infections or antibodies) weeks later. An example of a lousy control system..

Last Edited by aart at 22 Apr 18:13
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

For the record, I don’t think the Turks were taking the p1ss. Everyone except the “couldn’t run a bath” desk-weenies at Public Health England knows that PPE is subject to export control. When our civil service blob finally got around to asking for a licence, the Turks turned the application around in less time than it would take their British counterparts to count their daily allocation of paperclips.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

61 were found to have indeed died from the virus while the remaining four have died with it but the actual cause of death was something else.

This is roughly in line with the UK stats, which found 83% of all people who died had Covid-19 as the primary cause of death; 61 of 65 are 93%.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 22 Apr 18:51
Biggin Hill

PPE is subject to export control.

Yes; I’ve just read that they forgot to get this permit. Only after the UK embassy got involved did this get sorted. Of course this was found in “small print” in a newspaper…

However, it sounds like the Turkish manufacturer didn’t know it either.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message