Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Yes; see here for the explanation of post numbers.

These long numbers (which show the actual post # from the database, which is a totally unique number for the whole site) pop up when posts are moved from one thread to another. As admin, I do this fairly often, mostly for obvious reasons like merging identical-topic threads and sometimes because someone posted something in a totally wrong thread.

Yes; it breaks the nice sequential post numbering, but there is no “clean” way to do it if you want to preserve several objectives concurrently. Some other forums get around it by not allowing admins to move posts, while others do it by dumping moved posts to the end of the destination thread (which is basically useless), while others renumber the posts in both threads (which usually breaks links to them from elsewhere). On EuroGA the chronological order is always preserved, as are links to them from elsewhere in the forum or from the outside.

So you can see EuroGA is now around 240000 posts and I’ve had to read almost every one of them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

While we’re off topic.. 240k posts. Impossible to make a quick and reliable guess of the average number of words. 250? The bible has 780k words. So Peter, you have read 77 bibles. That’s one bible every 2 months. Like a full day’s job!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I don’t read everything, because approx 98% of posters have never (since we started in 2012) written anything offensive and thus don’t call for mod attention. That 98% is a real figure BTW, and has been consistent over the years. So when I see a long post by one of the “98% regulars” I don’t have to read it in detail. I do, of course, if it is interesting to me and I have time.

Also, I don’t read the forum like most people do, by going to the recent posts link etc. I get a linear “mod feed” with most recent at the top. This doesn’t give me a “thread view” but it’s much faster.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Also, I don’t read the forum like most people do, by going to the recent posts link etc. I get a linear “mod feed” with most recent at the top. This doesn’t give me a “thread view” but it’s much faster.

That way you’d lose much context, of course. I believe I’ve noticed it sometimes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

When I want to post on a thread then I switch to the normal mode (have to do so).

@jasonc do you have the URL for that graph above?

Administrator

The excess mortality in Europe, euromomo

The funny thing is that some countries (Norway, Germany etc) has had no excess mortality. The ones who have died due to Covid 19 has been made up for by less deaths due to “nomal” reasons.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
EGTK Oxford

LeSving wrote:

The funny thing is that some countries (Norway, Germany etc) has had no excess mortality. The ones who have died due to Covid 19 has been made up for by less deaths due to “nomal” reasons.

I know that the flu season in Germany ended abruptly about two weeks earlier than normal due to social distancing. This will also have prevented some deaths.

Currently there is much discussion in medical circles and even the general public wheter we are harming people by postponing elective surgery. In my hospital we are slowly easing everything back into normal procedures, although we still have half of our operating theatres closed and refurbished as temporary ICU beds (none of them were ever used). A quarter of the total capacity will revert to normal from May 5, a quarter will remain reserved for Covid-19 patients in case there is a sudden rise in their numbers and the remaining OP capacity is already used as normal.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 26 Apr 09:41
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

UK hospitals are also gradually reverting to normal; I hear from a surgeon friend of mine.

This is good news. Clearly they think the WHO is wrong (no surprise there; the WHO seems totally inept, being largely an advisory service for the 3rd World) in saying there is no evidence of antibodies doing anything.

Here’s something else. All those of us who are desperate to get flying, spare a thought for this guy and his 13 kids

Administrator

So what is Germany fundamentally doing differently?

Did it start lockdown earlier?

People talk about testing as what Germany has done differently, but testing alone does not change things. What action do they take based on the result of a test that changes the way the virus spreads? Tracing? I was skeptical about this at first, as once a carrier has passed through an airport or a busy railway station then all bets are off in terms of how that person spread it, but perhaps it does isolate a good enough % of carriers to make a real difference?

Do German hospitals do something fundamentally different with patients in respiratory distress?

I have just looked at some of the numbers for England – at this site they are putting them out in spreadsheet format which is useful. 52% of deaths are aged 80+ and 91% are aged 60+. Less than 1% are aged under 40. Leaving aside Covid-19 for the moment, I wonder if any of the medics on here could give us an indication of how patients aged 80+ (and 60+) in severe respiratory distress tend to fare when admitted to hospital during more normal times?

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message