Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I thought HIV came from Africa. That has an interesting history, with the famous 1957 sample having apparently been discredited and it appears to be a lot older (in humans).

The thing is that all these viruses come from where humans are close to wild animals, either because they eat them (China, mainly), or because they live with them (China, mainly) or because their habitat is being removed so they come out of it (lots of places incl. S. America).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

In which country did BSE get into cattle and then to humans? Into cattle from animal feed?
How did the Government response speed compare with Covid-19 response speed in China?
Will California be sued for HIV?

Yep, but some very big difference as well.

Coronaviruses are well established for their ability to cause rapid pandemics, with the need for equally rapid response.

Neither BSE or HIV share these characteristics in the same way, nor were they as a class of virus or prion understood in much of their mechanism for infecting humans.

The history and dangers of Coronaviruses on the other hand is very well established, so we already knew how dangerous they can be, and how readily they can bring large populations to their knees in a very few months.

China knew this full well, and yet decided to stay silent.

It reminds me of the famous line in Top Gun – cant quite recall exactly how it went, but along the lines, you knew the hard deck for this hop, you knew it, but decided to break it and then to do a showboat fly by. In exactly the same way, the Chinese knew the rules, but decided to break them, and since, show boat how well they were able to deal with the outbreak, while the rest of the world is on its knees.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 22 May 20:55
Maoraigh wrote:
n which country did BSE get into cattle and then to humans? Into cattle from animal feed?
How did the Government response speed compare with Covid-19 response speed in China?
Will California be sued for HIV?

Are you suggesting comparing a prion disease to another virus coming from China? Clearly we know now the problems associated with the offal feed and have stopped it. We know how bad the misuse of antibiotics is over there too which will not help things.

Our government response speed was pretty good depending on when you believe China first knew about it. China remember also shut down transport out of Wuhan in the country but kept flights going out for quite some time after. It’ll be very interesting to see later on actually how important the lockdown was compared to social distancing, etc.

I’m not sure why you want to drag back into history to look for legal action. I guess if you think so you’re probably also for reparations for all the indigenous people in the USA too, although how you choose which tribe was where first I don’t know.

The WHO just refusing to acknowledge Taiwan and parrot whatever line they receive from China has caused serious issues

Our government response speed was pretty good depending on when you believe China first knew about it.

Huh? I seem to remember a British government minister getting his child to eat a burger on national TV to prove it was safe, in the middle of the crises.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I was refering to government response to covid19 compared to the chinese govt response to same

We are hearing very little about how this will progress.

Assume for one moment no vaccine, no treatment (albeit I think all bets are on one or the other or both).

Depending where you are around 10% of the population may have been infected in lets say three months (slow start, slower end).

Take your guess as to how long herd immunity takes, and then there is the other unknown – whether it confers long term immunity – although I think the evidence is mounting that it probably does for some period of time.

My guess is it could be at least a year, with a winter between, when there could be a real danger of the infection rate rising rapidly. Possibly we can “open up” a lot more, but we dont know yet, however the suggestion is there are already signs the infection rate is creeping up before we have moved all that far.

It is difficult to see the economy can stutter on for another year on anything like the current basis.

Look into your crystal ball, not a month ahead, but over the next year, and what is your best guess as to the way it goes. It will be interesting to look back in a years time if nothing else and see who got closest! (For the purpose of discussion, you can of course predict when a vaccine or treartment intervenes and changes the course).

Restaurants were allowed to reopen in our state (Lower Saxony) on 11th of May, at half capacity.

Now a huge Covid-19 outbreak is making headlines, originating in an Restaurant in East Frisia (where I did my PPL). At least 50 people are quarantined, at least 7 Covid-19 positive, and that after the district in question did not have any new infections for the past seven days!

This kind of event is a good wake up call to those who think we’ve already “beaten” SARS-CoV2 in Germany.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 23 May 10:19
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Predictions:

1. That society as a whole will accept that lifestyle choices like obesity and old age have consequences from which people making those choices cannot reasonably be protected.

2. That roughly half the population will take reasonable precautions regarding their own health, hygiene and who they kiss – or, in Austria, whose (ping pong) balls they put in their mouth.

3. That the other half will carry on as normal, thus helping the population as a whole to acquire herd immunity

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

lifestyle choices like obesity and old age

It’s true that anyone can choose not to live to an old age (unless they are tetraplegic in which case their days are numbered anyway).

Sign in to add your message