Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

An effective way to lose weight is to switch to mostly vegetables. Cut out most meat and dairy. You then lose weight without going hungry.

You will also feel a lot better generally, get ill less, etc.

See the health/BP thread. Some pics of meals, and yes I get accused of posting pics of my dinner… so while I am here, here’s some more

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

Is that the longest ever post on EuroGA?

I stopped reading carefully after 5th sentence… I kind of feel that it does not belong here… List of different protocolos used in treatment of Covid-19. I didn’t get the point.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It was not checked afterwards to see if the text made sense.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

An effective way to lose weight is to switch to mostly vegetables. Cut out most meat and dairy. You then lose weight without going hungry.

You will also feel a lot better generally, get ill less, etc.

But for many people they feel this makes eating less enjoyable.

EGTK Oxford

Of course.

That’s the choice.

Administrator

Reading this, I feel sorry for Greece, which needs the tourism income, but there is no practical way they can stop thousands of infected tourists kicking off a big wave of infections on their small islands, which like most small islands have practically no medical facilities, plus they have loads of elderly residents who are not obese but have smoked all their life…

Having just been to Mali Losinj I have seen some of how it may work. The police officer wears a mask and gloves. Likewise for the hotel check in staff. But nobody else does – because the little island has had a heavy clampdown and has got infections down to zero weeks ago. Everybody is walking around freely, totally ignoring all the “2m” signs everywhere. This will work until they get the hordes from the main parts of Europe which still have very high levels of infections, particularly in the densely populated cities whose populations which make up most of the tourist trade to the southern parts of Europe.

They have been proactive. The hotel room has a thermometer. Anybody reporting symptoms gets a visit from an instant team from Rijeka, get taken away to a hospital there, and gets tested. Of course people can lie…

The restaurants have tables only outdoors, and well spread out.

I was happy to go there only because we live in a little village, have been isolated for 2 months, not even gone to a shop, and Sussex now has negligible numbers

Probably only because the heavy train commuting to London stopped about 2 months ago; the trains are empty. And I suspect most of those who drive to London in their car – a heavy but well paid job – are working from home.

There may be thermal cameras at the destination (the UK is unlikely to bother; it’s too obvious and they can’t get their act together) but that will catch only those who knew they were ill but still travelled because they didn’t want to lose the holiday.

Administrator

I guess a big questionmark if people will travel will be whether they face quarantine on getting home or in place.

Most people only have two weeks of holidays anyhow, so any UK traveller who knows he has to spend 14 days in quarantine upon return can’t travel or loose his job.

The best variant would be a testing document after quick tests locally and at the airport if they finally came online. Only people with 2 negative tests within 5 days may travel. If we had this possibility, travel would become possible again.

Otherwise Greece and others should be careful whom they let in. There are countries where the virus has died out almost by now and others which are still very active. They might consider handing out quarantine to those who arrive from heavily infected countries like the UK but leave them for countries which are not. Best thing would still be testing… but that doesn’t work.

But heavens… if we have to stay inside our own countries for once, what the heck? There are beautiful places to spend a holiday as well. Whatever happened to beach holidays at Eastborne or Clacton for our friends in the UK?

I fondly remember mine in the 1980ties when I stayed in Eastborne several consecutive years.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

but there is no practical way they can stop thousands of infected tourists kicking off a big wave of infections on their small islands,

Unless those coming aren’t infected … I really don’t see a single reason why certain countries with low infections rates cannot go to Greece, and behave exactly as they do at home. This is what Greece is planning, and I’m sure it will work just fine.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes, but there is an extra factor: the airliner, with 150 people crammed in it.

Some N European countries have achieved low rates but that’s while nobody has been travelling. Now start packing 150 at a time into a tight space, with say 1 or 2 infected, and by the time it lands a few dozen will have it. The hope must be that they may not be infective for the duration of their time in Greece

The hotels are taking precautions but the locals are clearly a bit nervous. I could see this on Losinj.

Whatever happened to beach holidays at Eastborne or Clacton for our friends in the UK?

That was in the days when the poor people did that, and only the rich could afford airline flights. So if you wanted to bribe the planning officer (to get a house extension approved) you had to do something really special, like a colour TV or a holiday in Benidorm

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Now start packing 150 at a time into a tight space, with say 1 or 2 infected, and by the time it lands a few dozen will have it.

Most airlines have decided to make wearing masks absolutely compulsory and have even put away with serving snacks and drinks. Toilet queues are also banned and mostly not needed as no drinks.

I’d say if they do the boarding/deboarding as they do it now, row by row, keep the distance, keep the mask on, stay in your seat, the risk of mass infection on the airplane is relatively small.

Looking at the countries with currently low infection rates quite a few would be a managable risk.

Peter wrote:

That was in the days when the poor people did that, and only the rich could afford airline flights.

Depending how the airline industry recoveres (if it does) that may well be something which comes back. Of course you already live in such a location… But I remember having quite a bit of fun at the Eastborne Pier or Beachy Head and surroundings…. not to speak of Tiddly Cove :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message