Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Quite a few firms on google. Under 100 quid.

All are blood tests, obviously, and the potential gotcha is that some (e.g. Medichecks) need quite a bit of blood to fill their little bottle, which is not easy to get out of a fingerprick.

However I have just noticed this bit in the long text on the above website

i.e. only venous blood tests are authorised in the UK. Why this stupid move, I have no idea. So you probably want to buy one from abroad. But still make sure that it needs just a small drop.

A venous test needs someone competent to do the sample – unless you are into hard drugs

There is this one for 90 quid, which you do yourself but it sounds like you are on the phone with a “health professional” for 30 mins while doing it… looking at the diagrams it looks like it is just a small drop.

A lot of people have been going around saying they are sure they had it, so it would be good to see some numbers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

i.e. only venous blood tests are authorised in the UK. Why this stupid move, I have no idea.

I gather nobody’s come up with a reliable one so far, so it seems to me sensible to take them off the market until someone does.

The fingerprick ones, unless outright useless like some/most of the chinese ones, seem to be ~99% but if there is a planned policy to issue “antibody passports” then you need better than that. That’s the only justification I can think of for this tight system.

Well, the NHS top brass does like to control the universe, too… this has been proved via the “inability” to buy PPE from UK firms who aren’t on the “approved supplier list”.

Administrator

99% of what?

If 99% of negative cases test negative, and 1% of negative cases test positive, then if 1% of people in the population have had COVID and you test positive, then there is still only a c. 50% chance that you have had it. So what decisions are you going to make on the basis of that information?

Obviously all the numbers are still up in the air at the moment (specificity, and the proportion of people who have been infected) so your chance of getting an accurate result may be higher or lower than that. But they are still likely to be considerably lower than the headline figure of ‘99%’ might suggest.

The MHRA is not part of the NHS, though I appreciate this is being pedantic.

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mallorca/2020/06/17/colegio-medicos-expedienta-doctor-formentera/1517018.html

Hmm. A doctor from the Balearics taking part in a protest against physical distancing and masks. Worse, claiming the whole thing is a scam. The well-known conspiracy theory that the thing is human-made and Gates et al are behind it, wishing to implant chips in all of us, bla bla. Very worrying that a medical professional from the official scene lends itself for this idiocy.

Medical authorities ‘studying whether there is a reason for judicial penalties’. Good idea, even if it sounds weak.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Hmm. A doctor from the Balearics taking part in a protest against physical distancing and masks. Worse, claiming the whole thing is a scam. The well-known conspiracy theory that the thing is human-made and Gates et al are behind it, wishing to implant chips in all of us, bla bla. Very worrying that a medical professional from the official scene lends itself for this idiocy.

Medical authorities ‘studying whether there is a reason for judicial penalties’. Good idea, even if it sounds weak.

Indeed. The wackos don’t need pseudo-professional support.

EGTK Oxford

99% of what?

AFAIK the test misses some positive results.

Administrator

I’m not particularly interested in getting a test for the simple reason that I would not do anything differently, nor indeed be able to do anything differently, based on the result.

EGLM & EGTN

Iceland opened to air pax on Monday. From Iceland Review Online 16 June:
“Two individuals were diagnosed with COVID-19 upon arriving in Iceland yesterday, RÚV reports. A total of 927 tests were taken among approximately 1,100 travellers (children are exempt from screening).”

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Two individuals were diagnosed with COVID-19 upon arriving in Iceland yesterday,

The interesting question now is – what happened next? Did they quarantine all pax on the airplane? The crew?

Sign in to add your message