Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

No, the point is well made that one’s risk of contracting HIV is very manageable (despite the absence of a vaccine) but it’s much harder to reduce your risk of getting COVID. For society to continue at least some people need to go to work on farms, power stations, food shops. Even those who can lock themselves up at home risk needing to go to seek medical care. All of these activities risk spreading it.

I agree that what we need to find is a minimally intrusive way of reducing spread without full lockdowns. It appalls me that we seem to have made such little progress in this.

Last Edited by kwlf at 28 Jun 14:00

kwlf wrote:

No, the point is well made that one’s risk of contracting HIV is very manageable (despite the absence of a vaccine) but it’s much harder to reduce your risk of getting COVID.

Yes I agree, I wasn’t suggesting the diseases are comparable, just that we must find a way to cope with it absent a vaccine.

EGTK Oxford

So all 3 of us are arguing with each other despite being in agreement!

It appalls me that we seem to have made such little progress in this.

The main reason must be that this thing is more infectious than just about anything since subprime. That makes it hard to avoid while still living some sort of normal life.

And nobody (or a small %) had any immunity.

Financially independent people, with no children living at home, with a “not easily bored” personality, living in the countryside and not propping up the bar in the local pub can avoid it indefinitely. They can also avoid all movement restrictions; a point not lost on house movers who are going like crazy right now to buy houses in the countryside. It is possible, just about, to live entirely off food deliveries and amazon etc. This is why the countryside has almost no cases

But almost everybody else will eventually get exposed. Just one touch, just one stiff of the air in a room or even outside…

If I can do TB20 trips to nice places I will eventually go mad, however 6th June the UK quarantine ends for some countries so… with a tent in the back of the plane in case I have to land somewhere where they won’t let me off the airport and I can’t fly on same day.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only was has been demonstrated by some lucky places like the IoM which managed to eradicate it by locking down until there are no new cases for a month and then not let anyone in without quarantine for 14 days. That is the only way which works. Lockdown totally until there are no, zero, new cases within a month.

Then open up only this area but keep anyone who lives in infested areas out.

Public transport and certainly restaurants and places where people gather should be shut for the forseeable future. This includes churches, theatres and cinemas.

For those who have not understood the significance of this, we are for all practical purposes at war. And that is how it should be treated.

For those moaning about the economy… had our leaders gotten their act together in February we would ot face this at all. Now again we have the same quagmire. If the 2nd wave is not stopped, there wont be any economy to save.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 28 Jun 15:58
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The IOM, and the other islands, could do this because they are full of wealthy independent people (largely tax exiles) so there is a lot of money sloshing around, and/or the poorer people are small enough in numbers to be supported (or in some cases forgotten / dumped onto social security, like the B&B owners on the Scilly Isles), and they only had to terminate the ferry passenger service and the local airport passenger service.

You could still reach them in a small boat in the middle of the night, but there is no motivation to do that. And all of them are too far from mainland for anyone to swim there.

And they are all run by politicians who have little to do most of the time and for whom this was a lifetime opportunity to demonstrate their virility But, as posted here previously, the IoM has almost no tourism so the locals support whatever lockdown is implemented…

On a “mainland” you can’t do this. You would need armed checkpoints, and fences with anti personnel mined strips in between them. For a short time you can do a 24hr curfew (with military support) but then you need a load of people anyway to be out and about distributing food parcels.

You can’t lock down totally because who would make and distribute food, etc?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But, as posted here previously, the IoM has almost no tourism so the locals support whatever lockdown is implemented…

They do have two week + periods twice a year in which thousands of people descend on the place, taking over every ferry crossing and hotel room, booked months in advance… 46,000 visitors for the 2019 TT. The races were a solution to solving early twentieth century tourism issues, so timed in June and September to extend the holiday season of that era. I don’t know to what degree the current 21st century economy is supported by the events, but it must be measurable.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jun 16:42

It must be measurable – but for most places that can do it, they’re probably better off losing the tourism and reaping the benefits of everybody else being able to go about their business freely.

There is another thing about this virus. It’s called “covid brain”. People who got covid 19 doesn’t understand how sick they are despite measurements shoving severe lack of oxygen. They appear to enter some sort of delirium of indifference.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes, in the Isle of Man perhaps. I think at this point however that the present and future well being of the population is in most places synonymous with a healthy economy.

I’ve made some changes in behavior and planning, the greatest of which is to work hard to reduce investment related debt, reduce outgoing expenses, and increase non-employment income, just in case. By the end of 2020 I will be in a completely different and more conservative cash flow situation. I’ve also limited my exposure to crowds. However, I’m certainly not going to shut down my life now, with increased experience, just as I never wasn’t going to in March. Nor is anybody else I know, by reasoned choice, and people have rights. That lesson has apparently been learned by all but the most risk averse. The remnant in my area is emergency ‘shelter in place’ laws that have never been rescinded, putting the whole population into civil disobedience.

I may now have met somebody who knows somebody who has had Coronavirus – somebody at work mentioned this to me. Caution is fine, paying attention to what might happen in proportion to its likelihood, over reaction is not.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jun 19:14
Sign in to add your message