Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I would rather follow my own advice, period. And in fact I will continue to do so.

If faced with endless authoritarian government, yes, thanks I would rather die. That’s what I said.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jul 18:10

We’re not just talking about one health restriction are we. We’re talking about lockdowns. Closure of business. I understand new york has removed the first ammendment right to peacefully assemble (except for BLM because that gets pass where you don’t need to observe the health instructions).

It’s tricky to know what’s the best thing to do, but I suspect there will be a lot of serious illnesses that are not going to be picked up in time because no one wants to go to the doctor.

A general note to participants:

Can we please keep this thread on the virus topic? There have been a number of largely political/OT diversions, which I move to the politics/OT thread if they get too substantial, but I don’t want to continually keep doing it because I then get emails asking “why has my post been deleted”, to which I have to reply “It has not been deleted…”.

More to the point we have a rule in Guidelines

Political content: this is fine where directly relevant to aviation. Otherwise, it is likely to be eventually moved to a dedicated “politics/off topic” thread. Most online communities do not allow politics at all, so please use this facility with care, and only if you make genuine contributions elsewhere on EuroGA.

The above emphasis is indeed aimed at people who are carefully avoiding posting anything useful on EuroGA (you know who you are) while popping in with political/OT stuff. It was added late last year because we had a poster who was basically doing nothing else, and doing lots of it. He’s gone now but he wasn’t the only one.

EuroGA is primarily a general aviation forum. We support political stuff because it is impossible to avoid it; a huge amount of GA regulatory activity is largely politically motivated, etc. But we are not going to be a platform for posters who contribute nothing on aviation matters (or used to but for reasons best known to themselves no longer do) and who can’t post politics on other sites where they hang out because they would get chucked out of there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

What is most interesting to me about the current US situation is that people who get Coronavirus now are not dying of it to the extent they did in New York or Europe

I’m sorry, but I don’t share your optimism. Texas has shown a significant uptick in the death rate, beginning early July – the death rate more than doubling in less than a week, and the 7 day rolling average being on a very sharp upward trend – which if it continues, will surpass Germany’s peak by the end of this month, for a population well under half the size. Many people in Texas won’t be receiving healthcare for this, because ICUs have filled up. Houston’s ICUs were all full by the 4th July. One of my friends is an EMT in Texas, and what he’s telling me is not good reading.

Last Edited by alioth at 12 Jul 19:20
Andreas IOM

The death rate per million population for Texas and Germany is today almost identical at 109 and 111. For reference the UK is today at 660.

I’m not interested in further discussion. Thanks.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jul 20:07

Sorry to be so direct, but Is that because you don’t like the facts, or because you don’t have them?

Germany

Texas

Biggin Hill

Please read what I wrote, carefully, and comprehend. There is a difference between daily death rate and total cumulative deaths per million population.

I am not unaware of other metrics, and not unaware that the absolute number of deaths per day in Texas is rising when viewed as a 7 day rolling average. At the moment that number is about 1/10 of the previous peak in New York State and 1/2 the previous peak in Germany.

It is patently obvious that many Europeans have a particular (some might say peculiar) view of Texas politics and their interest here is a function of that view. I think it’s cartoonish view and an unfortunate tangent to this discussion that I do not wish to encourage. Thanks.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jul 21:50

The death rate may drop because of improved medical knowledge of this disease. The statistic not yet available is the extent of damage survivors have suffered.
PS someone in the US was quoted asking if they were in a Communist Country, regarding compulsory wearing of masks, although on a temporary basis.. Every time I visit the US, I find they all accept the requirement to “drive on the right”, on a permanent basis.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 12 Jul 21:34
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

No comment required.

Here’s the 7 day average chart for Germany.

The more direct and less obviously political US state comparison is with California. The total population is more comparable, German population being about twice that of California, allowing the numbers to be easily ratioed. The peak number of daily deaths for the German chart is well over double the current California peak, but California (predominantly Los Angeles) had an existing lower grade constant rate before the slope rose in a way that’s comparable to the German record.

I would think the hope is that no new US state starts to emulate Belgium, Holland, UK, Spain, Italy etc that have had let’s say six times the deaths of California relative to their population, or New York, New Jersey (likewise or worse after importation of the virus from Europe). However, notwithstanding many California businesses etc being closed or restricted already, I don’t think anybody is interested in enforcing a lockdown on individual freedom to prevent it. People who want to avoid getting infected may in some areas have to use their brains instead of taking orders from dictatorial government and police forces. The stated purpose of current state dictates is to keep the hospitals withIn capacity, so-called broadening the peak, and anything beyond that would certainly not be my own preference, as I mentioned above. Nobody in the US signed up to copy China (or anywhere else) in removal of individual rights, responsibilities and consequences.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jul 02:07
Sign in to add your message