Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

skydriller wrote:

At the end of the day, it is not sustainable for countries to be locked down without travel and have businesses closed

Tell that to the industry sector of ROC Taiwan which is back at 100%!+

International trade can carry on with suitable test and trace – stag parties in Magaluf perhaps not.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Tell that to the industry sector of ROC Taiwan which is back at 100%!+

I dont understand your point? If they are not locked down and are back up to 100% wrt the economy they had before thats great…

You do realise that “stag parties in Magaluf” are part of the Spanish economy, just as a the bar/pub scene in the UK is part of the UK economy, or the 2-3hr lunch restaurants in France is part of the French economy? Forbidding these pastimes means businesses close and people lose livelihoods… this then knocks on to other businesses… such as airlines and then from there, obviously GA…

Regards, SD..

and are back up to 100% wrt the economy they had before thats great…

That is the obvious dividend of zero infections

this then knocks on to other businesses… such as airlines and then from there, obviously GA…

Obviously?

It’s awful to see friends who used to work for airlines on furlough (or worse) but the only link I see between CAT and the vast majority of GA is Isaac Newton.

Air freight has seen some disruption and inflation due to cancelled passenger flights but if 90% of CAT disappeared tomorrow the net effect on GA in this part of Britain would be neutral, at worst.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The effect on GA would be a collapse in demand at FTOs. Since we can’t have one man bands instructing the PPL any more thanks to EASA, if FTOs implode or are just too few in number (meaning nearly anyone wanting to learn fly has to travel and stay in hotels – making it very unappealing), where do we get new PPLs?

Last Edited by alioth at 03 Aug 19:58
Andreas IOM

Do most FTO’s just do people who want to go down the cpl atpl route? That is the opposite of what I seemed to observe at the school I learned to fly at, or seemed to see from the neighbouring flight school

@alioth are there not two distinct segments? Integrated cadet schools and PPL flying clubs, some of which do some CPL and FI courses.

Some grassroots FTOs now have a two year waiting lists for FI courses so hopefully this line will keep them busy.

I am not sure how many airline pilots are going the DIY route these days. Certainly some are but looking at the huge crowds (of mostly Asian students) it must be a small %. I don’t think the FTOs like it either because you can do a DIY route for half the money

I actually worry a bit about GA directly, post-virus. To hang out in GA fairly seriously you need a bit of money. A lot of the economy is being destroyed. Especially the “froth” on top; the “relatively easy money”, and the “less essential” bits of the service sector. A lot of aircraft owners are funded by these. For an extreme example, look at the collapse of GA in Spain, when the EU funded construction boom ended. We had a bit of a thread on this here and the activity up to today is no different. It’s really obvious that the “working week pattern” of so many here has been destroyed. And, no, I don’t believe that suddenly everybody who can afford to fly to places is working from home… It also shows up in forum participation.

In the rental sphere, the 80% state salary subsidies are keeping that part afloat, but these people fly the smallest number of hours, have the highest attrition rate, and go to the fewest places, and buy the smallest amount of fuel when away from base. And when the 80% ends, pretty soon actually, a lot of these people won’t have a job. It is obvious that many companies are just going to fire a load of people as soon as the salary subsidy ends. They will have no choice; the whole hospitality sector is able to run only at say 50% capacity.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Since we can’t have one man bands instructing the PPL any more thanks to EASA

For another four months and 28 days.

I have not exactly been uncritical of the UK CAA in the past, and I will remain so. Still I think we may yet be surprised to see the speed with which Richard Moriarty and his team manage to grow a pair after Hogmanay…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

. It remains true for whatever reason that nobody I’ve ever met or known personally in my lifetime has had Coronavirus, and I’ll be aiming to keep it that way.

We just lost a very close family friend in Florida to it. I am also familiar with an airline pilot who has survived it without severe symthoms but has since developed the said side effects of lung and heart problems which currently has him medically unfit. His whole family also suffers from those effects. Another family I know suffered heavily from it in March, I have not heard from them for a while re side effects.

Geneva is a risk zone now with massive infection rates, Zurich doesn’t look too good either. We’ve had quite a few cases around where we live, within 5 km or so, with schools and other organisations going into quarantine. I have friends in Italy who lost a lot of people, including some very prominent medical doctors who died from the disease during the Italian outbreak.

The more people deny its existance or it being a clear and present danger, the more the likelyhood of a 2nd wave with catastrophic consequences rises. A friend posted an article in German where the social consequences were compared to the Spanish Flu. We are right where they were before the 2nd catastrophic outbreak. People deny, all sorts of “experts” sell their ideas to the press and to politicians which act in their own interest instead of the people’s and become less and less thrustworthy. All that leads to a loss of trust by the people vs authorities who may need to take unpopular measures. People in this situation become suckers to any sort of demagogue who claims to know the solution. In that regard, Covid is a massive risk to democracy as well.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message